Hello from Wisconsin

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. My name is Trevor and I am from Wisconsin. Been checking out the list for a while and finally decided to sign up. I have been training in martial arts on and off for 20+ years, first in Tae Kwan Do and then Hwa Rang Do. I like Korean food and culture, and I am looking forward to learning more about them.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Trevor! The names Donald, nice to meet you keep on learning, it only gets better!

I like culture, once I was got to go to a lantern festival and see all the colorful lanterns :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.
I hope the weather has not been to cruel to you lately

OP
T

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Donald. Very cool! I have not had the pleasure myself. I live in a smaller town and most of my interactions with Korean culture have involved some great food, interesting clothing, snippets of the language, and reading up on their history and customs. I had a opportunity to go to Korea a few years back, but lacked the funds at the time. I regretted it and it is certainly on my bucket list. :)

OP
T

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.
I hope the weather has not been to cruel to you lately

Well, the fact it feels like January and not November isn't too much of a shock, it's suppose to be in the 40s this weekend, and it is Wisconsin after all. I feel bad for the folks out east, especially in Buffalo. Lake effect sucks...

Troubadour

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey! A fellow TKD student from Wisconsin!

Well, the fact it feels like January and not November isn't too much of a shock, it's suppose to be in the 40s this weekend, and it is Wisconsin after all. I feel bad for the folks out east, especially in Buffalo. Lake effect sucks...

It's frikkin cold in Wisconsin. No denying that. ;)

Nick Soapdish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. My name is Trevor and I am from Wisconsin. Been checking out the list for a while and finally decided to sign up. I have been training in martial arts on and off for 20+ years, first in Tae Kwan Do and then Hwa Rang Do. I like Korean food and culture, and I am looking forward to learning more about them.

Welcome. Hope you enjoy yourself. I started in Tae Kwon Do myself.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Welcome to MT. If you have been here for a while and went ahead and signed up, I am sure you will like it. Looking forward to your input.

I guess you could say I like the Korean culture and food. I have spent about 7 1/2 years in Korea, and been married to my wife for 36 years. We eat mostly Korean food, and she watches the different Korean channels all the time. I even like to rent or buy some of the Korean docu-dramas myself, mostly the old times stuff, different martial arts displayed of course.

How different do you find TKD and HRD?

OP
T

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey! A fellow TKD student from Wisconsin!

It's frikkin cold in Wisconsin. No denying that. ;)

Very true on the weather. And as for TKD, I haven't trained in it for quite a few years. Had a falling out with my old instructor and swore off martial arts for a while (small group politics and drama). Got back into training with Hwa Rang Do because I realized that I really missed training and I have been doing that ever since. I still have friends who train in TKD though and I talk shop with my brother who is a 2nd Dan.

OP
T

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. If you have been here for a while and went ahead and signed up, I am sure you will like it. Looking forward to your input.

I guess you could say I like the Korean culture and food. I have spent about 7 1/2 years in Korea, and been married to my wife for 36 years. We eat mostly Korean food, and she watches the different Korean channels all the time. I even like to rent or buy some of the Korean docu-dramas myself, mostly the old times stuff, different martial arts displayed of course.

How different do you find TKD and HRD?

I have heard that Korean Drama is very good. I have not seen much, but someone I know recomended Queen Seondeok. I found it on Amazon, but I want to watch a few episodes before I go and buy it.

As for the differences between TKD and HRD, they are very different. The kickboxing is very simular (kickboxing is kickboxing after all) but we have a lot more joint locks, takedowns, and throws in our stand-up sparring, which really mixes up the defense options. We also have a full ground fighting program and a full weapons sparring program that includes staff, twin sticks, swin sword, and long sword. Lots of fun stuff. Personally, I am a huge fan of the weapons program. It just makes sense and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Latest Discussions