Hello from Northern Maine!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah he welcomes people to come on in and give it a good look and to jump in and try it out. My wife has convinced me that I should also go to the meeting tonight so I'll miss the class tonight also. Sorry.

OP
Barking Spider

Barking Spider

White Belt
Reaction score
bydand said:
Oh yeah he welcomes people to come on in and give it a good look and to jump in and try it out. My wife has convinced me that I should also go to the meeting tonight so I'll miss the class tonight also. Sorry.

No biggie. I didn't make it last night either, but that was because dinner wasn't ready until 6:15. Whoops. We'll probably check out the class next Wednesday.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Hello, and welcome aboard!
icon14.gif

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Barking Spider said:
Howdy, all!

I am joining you from Caribou, Maine, where I live with my wife and three cats. I stumbled across this site while looking for information on a local dojo (Tai-Gi-Shin) that was recommended to me by a friend. Saw a glowing review from bydand, and was instantly intrigued.

My martial arts history is somewhat sketchy; I was an avid fan of Shotokan about 10 years ago, when I was working at the University of Connecticut (go Huskies!), and was a member of their Karate Club (part of JKA) for about a year, before some unrelated back injuries (and a stern warning from my doctor) forced me to give up the art.

The back's all better now, but it's been hard to really commit to any serious training since then due to time constraints and weight issues, but now I am trying to get back into it, as I really miss the physical quickness and mental well being that went with my Shotokan experiences. Plus my wife has expressed an interest in learning self-defense, and I believe she will also enjoy it for the same reasons as I do.

I do not believe there are any Shotokan dojos around Caribou, but fortunately I only got as far as 8th kyu back in 1995, so I don't have too much to unlearn when I take up training once more. I am also still fairly overweight, which always makes things a bit more difficult, but I don't intend to stay that way for very long. :)

Anyway, I'm babbling. I'll shut up now. It's nice to see that MA is alive and well on the internet (I used to be an active participant in the CyberDojo back in the 90s), and I look forward to having some interesting conversations with you all as I get back into it.

Slainte!
-Mike

Hello, I did Shotokan many years ago too. You may want to check out some KEMPO/KENPO Schools nearby also.....you will enjoy the many techniques they do....Karate is good and very hard style... (Kempo)Please take a look and sit in some of there classes....today Kempo is my art. ...Aloha

PS: Do not limit yourself...see what others do?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually Still Learning, there is very little in the way of MA schools up here. There are only 3 I can think of off the top of my head and I had lived here for 16 years before leaving for the last 2. I wish there were more so everybody could find an art that suits them, but there is a different attitude around here than any other place I have lived.

Barking Spider, come on over to the dojo on Wed night and if it doesn't look like the right thing for you or doesn't feel right, everyone there will help you find the right place around. The owner (Loren) is more up to date on what is around and he will shoot straight with you, and point you in the direction you want to go.

OP
Barking Spider

Barking Spider

White Belt
Reaction score
bydand said:
Actually Still Learning, there is very little in the way of MA schools up here. There are only 3 I can think of off the top of my head and I had lived here for 16 years before leaving for the last 2. I wish there were more so everybody could find an art that suits them, but there is a different attitude around here than any other place I have lived.

Barking Spider, come on over to the dojo on Wed night and if it doesn't look like the right thing for you or doesn't feel right, everyone there will help you find the right place around. The owner (Loren) is more up to date on what is around and he will shoot straight with you, and point you in the direction you want to go.
Both my wife and I will be there tonight. We talked to some more friends over the weekend, including a guy who trains at the Quest Center in Presque Isle, and they all recommend Loren's dojo very highly. As for me and Kelly (my wife), we're both really excited and can't wait to dive in! OK, maybe "dive" was a poor choice of words, there... :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions