hello from Massachusetts

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all just started my account here and thought i would make my first post here. i have been involved in the martial arts for 30+ years. The name Hoshin was something given to me by my late Zen and Aikido teacher for my dojo. after his passing i took it as my own personal name. (not legally changed, but in MA circles) there is a Hoshin-do on the west coast somewhere or at least there was, no affliation or similarity. my own personal interest leans toward the traditional but i teach a defensive tactics/ close quarter combat aggregate system. along my journey i have met the most wonderfull people, great martial artists, national living treasures and to my teachers, mentors and those who have inspired, i say thank you. (gassho)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. We hope this site can be of service to you on your life journey. Enjoy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Look around, and I'll bet you can find some discussions of interest to you.
You can also start by telling us more about yourself. What have you trained in? What do you teach?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome! I'll be interested in hearing how you Aikido has blended into your CQC.
:wavey:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome, bro.

OP
hoshin1600

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome,
to answer the questions, i did kempo karate for a long time back in the 80's but also at the same time i was cross training with one of the other students who was also a high ranking TKD guy. he was a mentor to me. he was fantiastic he would swing the heavy bag and lay into in with a side kick and just tear the seams out of the bag and twist the metal hooks. PKA kickboxing was poupular at the time so i was training for myself with this in mind, also added in some western boxing and muay Thai concepts. i then spent many years in a Zen/ Aikido school. This was a AAA school and trained with my teachers,teacher Fumio Toyota about 5 or 6 times a year both at local seminars and i would travel to his dojo in Chicago. Fumio Toyota was associated with Daihonzen Chozen-JI rinzai zen linage (he was introduced to Tenshin Tanouye Rotashi by my teacher) Toyoda himself spent time in a Japanese temple but i cant remember the name off hand. our dojo was a Butsuin non profit association and in time i was president, learning and teaching Aikido and teaching karate. i used to do something called musha-shugyo. basicly i would travel around and visit random dojo to see what they were up to. by chance i went into a Uechi-ryu dojo and the teacher was the best i had ever seen or met he was/is a modern day Mas Oyama. after trying to do both i made the painfull decision to leave the aikido and do uechi 100% fast forward another 10 years and i have had my own dojos and met and trained with many defensive tactic teachers, many of whom most of you will know. i have always been a mixed martial artist long before the UFC and the term was coined. while maintianing my core training i also did what i could to learn from Goju, Shotokan, BJJ, ninjutsu, daito-ryu aiki as well as many chinese Fukian kung-fu styles to help cross examine my uechi-ryu (uechi is a chinese system called Pangainoon)

OP
hoshin1600

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
To answer K-mans question about Aikido and CQC. First i must quote from bruce lee "i really dont belive in styles anymore". man i love that saying...i could go on for an hour on this one little gem. i am not quite sure about the meaning of your question, feel free to elaborate. but i see aiki the way anyone does, however for myself i have to get past the style and look at the concepts and the core. i prefer not to do joint locks in a slow deliberate action so the uke can "roll" out of it or do breakfall. i prefer to do kote-gaishi for example as a quick sharp motion where there is no choice but to break or tear the joint. i belive this was the original intent of the action and the ukemi was a means to not have your arm broken. over time the "harmony" of the technique surpased the violence in importance. people then saw this and the impression was that it was a "throw". as for irimi-nage i have done this full out on a non aiki person with no ukemi and i got to say its not a pretty sight. i wouldnt want to be on the reciving end and its not really something i would want to repeat unless i had no choice. so my focus is on smaller tight actions rather then big circles and flowing action. what i teach is a principal that the system and training starts with weapons. i think aiki is a good match for that principal. however you have to understand violence. many Aikidoka have an aversion to violence, this is what O-sensei taught to meet violence with non-violence. this is not my path. there is nothing wrong with it, it is just not my path. to paraprase a quote from Steven Hayes "the oak staff whirls in the wind, sails where it may, is it my fault if someone, who's intent is to harm, has their head in it's path"

Latest Discussions