Hello from Carlisle, England

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by LastGasp, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Buka

Buka MT Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to MartialTalk, bro. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deafdude#5

Deafdude#5 Green Belt

Hello & welcome!

Disability or not, the challenge is for you & you alone to overcome through adaptation. Be smart, train at the appropriate pace for you.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Welcome to MT! Always good to see another ex- RAF person here! :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

I think you can fake it without any real training and still get really fit, you just won't have a usable skill.

Example - Jake Mace

5. LastGasp

LastGasp Orange Belt

And I think that does bother me. Well, not from a self defence point of view, because I'm never likely to need it for that.
    But in sparring/competition. But I wonder how I would fare in sparring sessions, given time to learn something again. I used to enjoy that aspect of it before. One-armed sparring? I don't know, but I think I'd give it a shot.
    But in the end, I think if I can do enough to make it enjoyable and engaging, then that would be enough. Perhaps it would have to be.

6. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

Depending on the nature of your injury, you might be able to do BJJ. Someone here posted a few vids of a BJJ guy with 1 fully functional arm and no legs.
    Well, you said you have wingchun and taekwondo right? The former is very low impact, and the only sparring you will see is chi sau which is also very low impact. Also, Chun schools don't tend to incorporate much in the way of physical fitness. On the flip side taekwondo is a young mans art/sport. Just thinking about those kicks makes my legs ache. Maybe you have better knees than I do. You certainly dont really need your hands as much as other martial arts.

Honestly for an older guy with an injury like that, BJJ would be your best bet. Low impact but a serious workout and it can be very competitive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Good job I'm so young then, especially compared to you...

Oh, wait :D

Depending on the tkd style, you might 'need' hands more than you think - we certainly use them a fair amount. But yeah, nowhere near boxer (or even kickboxer) level. Even so, one (or even no) arms can be accommodated.

8. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

How old were you when you started TKD?

9. pdg

pdg Senior Master

10. LastGasp

LastGasp Orange Belt

I'll have to have a look at BJJ then, not really paid it any attention before, so can't comment yet.
    You can't do chi sau with one arm, can you?!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  11. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your candor. What each person defines as disabilities is and should be different for each person. I think it is important not to listen too much to the masses and mainstream media to define ourselves. Getting back into a workout routine again will hopefully help you find yourself and search deeper into Neville's philosophy.
    Best of luck and keep us in the loop.

12. Martial D

Martial D Senior Master

You definitely can.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. LastGasp

LastGasp Orange Belt

Interesting.
    But how much of that kind of thing can the one-armed martial artist really learn? I still think WC isn't really ideal for me.
    What I've also been wondering, is what kind of one-armed techniques could I use for a block or counter using my right arm to deal with an opponents right-arm attack, leading to me performing a strike or other finishing move...scratches chin thoughtfully
    Well, I could maybe come up with one or two, but I'd really need to work hard to compensate for the loss of that left arm.
    But that's why if I were to actually want to develop a proper fighting skill, it seems to me that one discipline is not going to be enough. Unless....I've said elsewhere that Jun Fan seems to fit in that I lead with my strong side - this allows me to protect my weak arm somewhat, and also the fast in-out attacks would leave me exposed for the least time. Not that there're any Jun Fan classes anywhere near me so it's a moot point really.
    There's always evasion - run away! lol

15. LastGasp

LastGasp Orange Belt

16. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

The well known art of Nikedo. :D

17. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

?? Why dont you put some time in to rehabilitating , building up your " weak arm", rather than do what you can do to e,cess, , that's what I was saying about your excessive stationary jogging, you've got a bad arm and back to sort out, do that first, Or have you only got one arm ? In which case sort the back out

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  18. LastGasp

LastGasp Orange Belt

The back's improving. Don't quite know what you mean by sorting out my arm? Please explain.
    Going to excess? That only happened because at the time I injured myself (I take it that's what you're referring to?), my body gave me no indication I was overdoing it. Nor did it feel like I'd overdone it until much later. DOMS, remember? DELAYED :rolleyes:

19. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

You have an arm that does work very well, I'm trying to save you some hard lessions, but your not for listening, if you keep going as you are all the niggling injuries will build up and you grind to a halt.

After 3months of enthusiastic exercise I had to have two months oFf , to let it all heal, which put me back to about month one, and meant I lost 4months of improvements, but he'll carry on jogging on the spot

20. LastGasp

LastGasp Orange Belt

Yep, I'm a stubborn old git, lol.