Have you ever left your org or fed or ext

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, Lately I have been really thinking of moving up north to go away to college. But I would also be Leaving My Org I am in Now. I have a school up there that I would train with but in a way I feel I should stay with my org but they did not do much for me & College is very important to my future so I am pretty sure I will go Cause There is A college I like that is 3 and half hr. away from where I live now so I would live up there.

Anyway nothing is for sure yet.
But have you ever left your org or fed if so why?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
Well, Lately I have been really thinking of moving up north to go away to college. But I would also be Leaving My Org I am in Now. I have a school up there that I would train with but in a way I feel I should stay with my org but they did not do much for me & College is very important to my future so I am pretty sure I will go Cause There is A college I like that is 3 and half hr. away from where I live now so I would live up there.

Anyway nothing is for sure yet.
But have you ever left your org or fed if so why?

You don't belong to a cult, do you? For your sake I hope not. You are your own person. Be gracious and appreciative of the training you have received, acknowledge that to the "Org" and live Your Life.

Danny

S

Spud

That's part of life. We all grow, explore and change especially when we are young. Leaving a school or organization is nothing big. Let your instructor know why you are leaving and make sure you fulfill your financial or other commitments. Come back and visit your old school on occasion. It shouldn't be like a bitter divorce.

Grow, enjoy life and a variety of challenges.

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You should look at the new school much the same way you look at college. It's an opportunity to grow and learn. Remember, many of the great martial artists had more than one teacher. And if you plan to move back, you can always rejoin your current organization and bring in the knowledge that you gained while away.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your first dojo is going to be a second home to you...i am sure when you get back in town you will be welcomed with open arms....Collage is your future...MA will always be there.....just keep up with your training on your own...wile you are out of town.......IE push ups sit ups katas

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had to move away from my old dojang. But, like mhouse said, I always go back when I visit home. And, eventhough there is different students there, I am welcomed back with open arms. My old instructor knows I would plug his dojang if I see someone that is interested in training in that area. He knows if I had the chance, I would also return to train there.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't leave your organization to attend school or take a new job any more than you quit your family to move. Your organization will always be there for you regardless of whether you stay in the area or not.

We have had plenty of Instructors leave for different parts of the country (and world) for work, school, military etc. They are still considered part of the family. We may not see them as often, but they are still part of us. The Masters still come to the big testings, tournaments, and seminars from various parts of the country, and it gives us a chance to catch up and exchange thoughts.
Others are correct. While gone, do not enroll in a different school (unless your Instructor gives permission). Instead, practice forms, drills, basics, and work out on your own.

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Follow your Heart Adam & Good-Luck! :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let your instructor know why you are leaving
You should look at the new school much the same way you look at college. It's an opportunity to grow and learn.

Both of these statements are wise advice. Going to school and getting an education is important. Learning from a new instructor may also be good, for you will get new ideas to add to what you already have. Your education and your future may rest on moveing and you present instructor should be happy to see that you are looking towards your future.
If your instructor can not understand that bettering your chances in life may invole leaveing him (for a while at least) and the org. you now belong to , IMHO he has little insite and you might be better off away from him anyway.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Adam,

I changed schools about 6 months ago - also under a new org. and like Danny T said -
Danny T said:
Be gracious and appreciative of the training you have received, acknowledge that to the "Org" and live Your Life.

Danny
I am always greeted with open arms at my old school and i am sure you will be too! Keep in contact with your previous instructors and let them know how you are progressing, but always remember change is a path toward growth. Good Journey!

Donna :ultracool

Latest Discussions