Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL! Yes, that Chris Rock clip is definately a classic!!! :ultracool

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try to stear clear of ANY type of cop / enforcement, a majority are corrupt in some way or other, ask you a question, they dont believe / trust your answer anyway.
Keep in mind that there are a good number of LEO who are members here.

While I do not hold police officers on a pedastal, I think that your generalization is inaccurate. In the US, I have very serious concerns about the state of the legal system, but the police are probably the very best part of it. They may not be perfect, but they do a respectable job, risking their lives in the process.

In any case, I have met some cops that I did not care for in retail settings (had one who insisted on butting in line every time he came in because he felt that he was more important than the rest of my customers), but I have met many more who are very decent and dedicated people.

No overly aggressive experiences on my end. Pretty much all positive.

Daniel

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Outside of a traffic violation, 90% of us will have little or no interaction with the Police.

They deal with 5% of the population 95% of the time.

I know many cops, vast majority of them are kind decent people, same as any other industry/business/occupation. Yeah there’s a few where the whole badge and gun thing goes to their head, but I think that’s uncommon.

My hat goes off to them for the crap they have to do and put up with. Attending fatal auto accidents involving children? No thanks. Fatal fires? No thanks. Sorry to say it, but dealing with parts of society that the vast majority of us will never see or interact with.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I try to stear clear of ANY type of cop / enforcement, a majority are corrupt in some way or other, ask you a question, they dont believe / trust your answer anyway.

With all due respect, that's a pretty sorry attitude.

The vast majority of cops are professional and straightforward in their job. Yes, there are some bad ones. Yes, they pee in the pool for everyone else. They are just like any other large group of people: it will be a skewed bell curve to the right, but there will always be those few bozos under the left side.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've only once encountered a policeman and that encounter wasn't exactly nice.

I was cycling back from training and it was already dark (so it is mandatory to have good lights on your bike). Suddenly, a police car followed me on the bicycle track (first, I thought it wasn't for me, as it's usually not allowed for cars to go there so there had to be an emercengy or something?). However, suddenly, two people were screaming at me to stop. They accused me of having no lights on my bike while they were clearly visible! They didn't speak on a normal tone, no, they started screaming instantly (and did not want to admit that they made a mistake).
For me, it was quite frightening because I don't know how to deal with such kinds of situations at all - what if they give me a fine? - so I just waited until they shut up and drove off.

So, well, I suppose that most policemen are normal people, but I certainly don't think highly of those two men.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect, that's a pretty sorry attitude.

The vast majority of cops are professional and straightforward in their job. Yes, there are some bad ones. Yes, they pee in the pool for everyone else. They are just like any other large group of people: it will be a skewed bell curve to the right, but there will always be those few bozos under the left side.

Replying to what you and Daniel said.
I agree with alot of what you said, some spoil it for others etc, but having a clean record as I do, why is it I have never had a pleasent experience with, as you call them, LEO's. Thats no coincidence IMO and theres no excuse for arrogance and people being rude. We also have something called a community officer over here, they seem to be a bit more polite. If I was an officer I would want my community to feel safe in my presence, and not 'here we go again'. This plus the constant reports of Police and government corruption, its awful.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've found that "Yes sir" / "No sir" are the best defense.

I've also learned that ASSUMING they are a good person doing an important job rather than assuming they are a corrupt prick looking to rough someone up has a significant effect on MY attitude which in TURN should have a positive effect on how they deal with me.

It doesn't matter, really, if they truly are a Good Cop or a Corrupt Cop: assuming the best increases the odds that I will have a better experience.

I've also learned that trying to be funny with them does NOT elicit a "Hey, I like you – why don't you come home and **** my sister?" reponse but more of a "OH, wise guy, huh?" response.

Save the jokes for when you get home and tell your friends or Significant Other about the incident.

;)