have anyone used Kenpo for real

S

Scott Bonner

Re: double ghost imaging. Good luck with that. To move as late as possible so that the opponent has committed physically to wasted action makes sense. To move as late as possible in hopes of psyching them into thinking you are still standing still is silly. There is no way any mere human can move so fast that the opponent won't see and cognitively process that motion. The mind is many times quicker than any physical motion. This isn't DragonballZ.

Peace,
Scott

P.S. Go, Vegeta!

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPO_CORY

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with this one. Does it have anything to do with a form of contouring? Can someone elaborate? Thanks in advance guys.

No, not contouring. You are in a natural stance, you drop back to a right nuetral bow, then draw into a cat stance to gain a few more inches in your distance to your oppenent.
In a sense becuase you have dropped back to a right nuetral bow your oppenent can judge the depth of how far you have moved, but when you draw back into your cat stance there should be no head bobble. It should stay on the same plane, not moving up or down. Thus gaining you anywhere from 4-6 inches (maybe more) without your oppenent noticing. Your oppenent is not able to judge the distance in which you haved moved. That is what we call double ghost imaging, becuase the oppenent cannot see how far you have moved from your second position(nuetral bow) to your third position (cat stance).

That's about as simplistic as I can explain it. And no it is not a DragonBalls Z thing either.

Michael

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you pull back to the "traditional" cat stance, and keeping the weight ratios the same, the balance the same, but do not pull up on the toes of the lead foot, is it still a cat stance? In other words, all is the same, except you, essentially, leave your lead foot flat for that split second, prior to whatever execution you are leading to next?

Ed Parker's Secrets of Chinese Karate (S.O.C.K.) book goes through the different positions of the lead foot in regard to the cat stance. So I don't think the lead foot position would make a difference only to preference of that particular practitioner.:asian:

S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by AvPKenpo

No, not contouring. You are in a natural stance, you drop back to a right nuetral bow, then draw into a cat stance to gain a few more inches in your distance to your oppenent....That is what we call double ghost imaging, becuase the oppenent cannot see how far you have moved from your second position(nuetral bow) to your third position (cat stance).

That's about as simplistic as I can explain it. And no it is not a DragonBalls Z thing either.

Michael

That makes more sense. Definitely not a DBZ thing -- nothing subtle in DBZ. LOL. Too bad "double ghost imaging" has such a floofy, goofy name, though. Then again, lots of things in Kenpo get floofy, goofy names, don't they?

:D

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scott Bonner

That makes more sense. Definitely not a DBZ thing -- nothing subtle in DBZ. LOL. Too bad "double ghost imaging" has such a floofy, goofy name, though. Then again, lots of things in Kenpo get floofy, goofy names, don't they?

:D

Yeah I agree but at least it isn't in a forein language. hehehe Then we really would have a hard time, at least I would. The only language classes I took in H.S. were french and redneck.

Michael

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Scott Bonner
Re: double ghost imaging. Good luck with that. To move as late as possible so that the opponent has committed physically to wasted action makes sense. To move as late as possible in hopes of psyching them into thinking you are still standing still is silly. There is no way any mere human can move so fast that the opponent won't see and cognitively process that motion. The mind is many times quicker than any physical motion. This isn't DragonballZ.

Just a note. There are arts that use psychological aspects to make your opponent do what you want. The last class I attended in Systema Vlad was having us work with using body language to psychologically stop your opponent from throwing his intended strike. Not sure if this could apply to what you are talking about but it's worth mentioning.

S

sparky

Practice the forms outside on the grass, uneven surface, or something less than ideal. The footwork during the transitions on these surfaces may help you see how to flow from one position to another. Try doing the forms when you are tired in these conditions. For me it causes me to have to concentrate and work through the fatigue.

I personally like to train in as tough as conditions as possible. I believe it gives you an extra edge.

S

sparky

Originally posted by JD_Nelson

Practice the forms outside on the grass, uneven surface, or something less than ideal. The footwork during the transitions on these surfaces may help you see how to flow from one position to another. Try doing the forms when you are tired in these conditions. For me it causes me to have to concentrate and work through the fatigue.

I personally like to train in as tough as conditions as possible. I believe it gives you an extra edge.

Try long 4 on the beach - drunk

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by AvPKenpo

No, not contouring. You are in a natural stance, you drop back to a right nuetral bow, then draw into a cat stance to gain a few more inches in your distance to your oppenent.
In a sense becuase you have dropped back to a right nuetral bow your oppenent can judge the depth of how far you have moved, but when you draw back into your cat stance there should be no head bobble. It should stay on the same plane, not moving up or down. Thus gaining you anywhere from 4-6 inches (maybe more) without your oppenent noticing. Your oppenent is not able to judge the distance in which you haved moved. That is what we call double ghost imaging, becuase the oppenent cannot see how far you have moved from your second position(nuetral bow) to your third position (cat stance).

Michael

Cool, thanks man. I like it, I like it a lot. :D

G

GouRonin

I want to amend my answer. I have never used any Kenpo techniques to save my @ss. All I have been able to use are Kenpo basics.

Strange. People always ask if anyone has ever used their techniques in a real confrontation. No one ever asks if anyone has used their Kenpo forms in a real confrontation.

S

Sandor

Originally posted by GouRonin

I want to amend my answer. I have never used any Kenpo techniques to save my @ss. All I have been able to use are Kenpo basics.

Properly applied any technique on the street should be just basics. For example; I've tried Five Swords several times in the past and never got beyond the handsword to the side of the neck. (adrenaline running and sending the heelpalm off into outerspace to the amusement of coworkers). A handsword to the side of neck can produce very good results in short order. So, was it 'Five Swords' or merely a basic block and no frills chop?

That said, there are techniques that I have used that may nullify your(and my) point. Sleeper works extremely well and I have used it(the entry and the hold) on many occaisions, though I never felt compelled to take the person down after locking them up(honestly, I usually ran them out the door of the club at that point). Was it a technique at that point or just a block and a reverse handsword followed by a lock? I dunno, as long as it contributed to my safety/survival in less than ideal circumstances it was all good ;)

Peace,
Sandor

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread, but not participating in it since I never have used kenpo for real, however....

Here's a question that'll let other people join in as well: of the people that haven't used it, how many of you have confidence that it won't let you down if you do have to, or do you tend more to have a nagging feeling that you're wasting your time (from an effectiveness point of view, ignoring fitness and making friends etc.)?

I myself have moved from the former to the latter, then back to the former and back to the latter again ad infinitum.

Just when I think I'm building up a little faith, I read something about the brutalities of street fighting and decide the only way to win is to be an animal! Then I read about someone who has used kenpo in the street and my faith is restored.

I suppose, we shall just see on the day, if and when the day comes.

Paradoxically, the more we learn about situation awareness and so forth, the more we reduce the risk of an encounter anyway, so the more prepared we become the less we need to be so. Interesting stuff.

Ian.