Has it come to this...?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
The correct form of address for people you don't know is to use their professional title, if possible, or to use, "Mr.," or, "Ms." That way, you can talk to them without making presumptuous judgments about whether or not they're virgins--which is what "Miss," vs. "Mrs." denotes.
Virgins? No, not for that reason. I'm sure you already know these forms of address refer to marriage status rather than their virginity. A single person who's "done it" is still a "Miss" and doesn't become a "Mrs" because of the act. A person who's married is considered "Mrs". I don't think any female wants a title that judges them by their virginity if that was the purpose.

- Ceicei

R

rmcrobertson

The assumption is that any unmarried woman hasn't...you know, done it. And there is no corresponding distinction made for men. Why is that, do you think?

Again, the polite form of address--and the professional one, it should be added--is to use either a professional title, or Mr. and Ms.

It's simple manners.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Similarly, "Happy Holidays," is simply a way of wishing someone well, without raising the question of their beliefs, which is none of your business anyway.
Yup.

One would like to see/hear actual examples of somebody being offended by, "Merry Christmas," outside of Michael Savage's imagination, that is.
I have been offended by it in the past, as I do not celebrate that holiday. I use the 'generic' Happy Holidays as it covers the 26 different days in December that have holidays associated with them, without promoting 1 over the other.

True story. I was in a checkout line a while back, and the cashier did the standard "Merry Christmas" bit. I replied "Happy Hanaka(sp)". She said "I'm not Jewish". I replied "I'm not Christian.". Let us just say the discussion turned ugly after that. Now, I'm a bit less "sensitive", and just smile and reply "happy holidays". So far, no problems. :)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Somebody called misdialed my phone# once, after straightening that out the person said "Happy Haunaka (sp?). I just automatically responded "Thank You, Same to you."

Who cares if its your faith or not, its a gesture of goodwill. Its rude IMHO to even make an issue out of it. Accept it as its given. The rest is @#$% the reciever applies.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ghostdog2 said:
" Happy Holidays" is that sort of "one size fits all" greeting that serves well the timid soul who is more afraid of saying something inappropriate than he is about wishing anyone a Happy anything
It seves as a sterile social convention between people who don't know each other well. Sort of like the universal " Ms. " instead of "Miss" or "Mrs." used when the adressee is someone you don't really know and don't want to offend. Contrived but serviceable. Friends know what holiday it is they and you are celebrating and will be warmed, not put off, by Happy New Year.
Hi: I don't think it is a timid soul at all, I think it is a respectful greeting.

Or how about "good morning", the other responds "good morning", then you ask, how are you? They then are no longer friendly and courteous, response is, "stuff it buddy it is none of your business"!

On to the origin of the Mrs. and Miss, is similar to the Senora and Senorita or if you were talking about a young Filly or an Old Mare. Some has to do with age and some have to do with marriage...

I believe the women of this world wanted to have something that was not classifing them. So now we have Ms.

I was under the impression in the time of Jesus and his birth the term "Virgin" ment unmarried...Virgin did not mean what it does today (English)...
I think it is OK to say they were not like we are in America regarding the Chastity item.

We have changed that word "Virgin" to mean something else...

In that particular society if the women was found not to be "complete" there was trouble for them, unless the male for his own respect and for the women he loved, it was move to a new location. Sound familiar?

Regards, Gary

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Somebody called misdialed my phone# once, after straightening that out the person said "Happy Haunaka (sp?). I just automatically responded "Thank You, Same to you."

Who cares if its your faith or not, its a gesture of goodwill. Its rude IMHO to even make an issue out of it. Accept it as its given. The rest is @#$% the reciever applies.
Exactly.

Getting upset at that is as bad as someone saying "Have a Nice Day" and you saying "Don't Presume to tell me what kind of day to have"... It just makes you look like a Richardhead.

Ya know what? On DEC 25, ITS FREAKING CHRISTMAS, even if you dont celebrate it... so I'm gonna say Merry Christmas. Same thing on Easter, New Years, Boxing Day, Washingtons Birthday, and what the heck, your birthday, I'm going to respond with the Date appropriate Salutation.

Why?

BECAUSE ITS THE NICE THING TO DO, and better than greeting everyone the way I do the rest of the year with a hearty <bleep> YOU!.

Pardon me. This change of the Years has left me a bit cranky.

A

auxprix

mj_lover said:
:uhyeah: merry Christmas and happy new year to y'all as well. I sure hope nobody pulls one of those long thingys in ernst....

seriously, the holiday IS Christmas, i checked the calander. I see no reason for people to take offence to it.

I celebrate Canadian Boxing day. How DARE you exclude me and my traditions!

Happy holidays

Dude, was that really necessary? I will stick to Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. If someone dosent like the terminology, they dont have to pay attention to it. Or they could try to read this stuff with their eyes covered.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Getting upset at that is as bad as someone saying "Have a Nice Day" and you saying "Don't Presume to tell me what kind of day to have"...
Heh, reminds me of that scene in 'We were Soldiers' where one soldier walks past the Sergeant and says 'Good mornin, sir'.

To which the sergeant replies in his best, grumpiest sergeant voice:

'What are you, the f**kin weatherman?'

:D

Awesome.

I dont think wishing someone a merry christmas is any more brave or non-pc than wishing someone happy holidays. I dont celebrate a religious christmas, instead enjoying the holiday season and spending time with the people I care about. And of course, enjoying all the gifts. So it never enters my mind to wish someone happy christmas over happy holidays.