Has anyone used the Tracy home study course?

Discussion in 'Tracy's Kenpo' started by Marshallbd, Jun 25, 2013.

1. BJTipton11

BJTipton11 White Belt

Though they are much more pricey I would consider getting these:

http://kenpokaratellc.com/instructor-series-dvds/

They are much better in both video and instruction quality. Steve Finn is based out of Lexington, KY and one of Mr. Tracy's top instructors.

Here is an example from one of the DVDs.
    http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/100473-Delayed-Sword-Tracy-s-Kenpo

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

Video's can be a good reference tool but not worthwhile if you do not have a regular instructor. Find a good school near you with an instructor you will enjoy! Good luck!!!

3. RCastillo

RCastillo White Belt

Well, it worked for me. I started in the late 70's, moved away, got into TKD because there was no Kenpo where I lived. Got back into it by an ad in Black Belt mag in 93. But I would also go across the state to get lessons, fine tuning, and test. I still continued to go visit others, and invite others down to help me. Plus I've attended several camps, and have worked with GM Tracy five times. What made it easy for me what that I held a 3rd Dan in the ITF by the time I got re-involved, so the transition back into Tracy Kenpo was easy for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TaiChiTJ

TaiChiTJ Brown Belt

Bingo. That is the only way. Nothing will ever replace live physical interaction with knowledgeable peers and teachers. It is crucial to try something that you think will work, and experience its failure. Then you get to analyze why, and true learning results. Good Luck!

5. chrstnkenpoist

chrstnkenpoist White Belt

I know most of the responses to your question were negative, but mine is not. Having used a training tape or 2 from the Tracy Organization. I have to say they were very user friendly. I was able to follow along, and understand the material quite well. I think having previous kenpo experience helped me, and will help you, especially having a qualified instructor to assist you in the training. All this being said, does not mean I believe all "training" tapes are truly useful for actually "learning" material cold, but there are some out there(like the Tracys) who offer a very useful product for those who are so inclined.

• Informative Informative x 1