Has anyone received a new Kukkiwon certificate with Taekwondo on it?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was always looking forward to the color change at 6th and at irst I did not like the new certificates.

I believe the color change from silver to gold is or used to be at 5th Dan, not 6th.

I have had quite a few students ask if they could get the new style to replace the old ones they have.Of course I tell them they will have to wait till they test again.

They don't have to wait. They can request a duplicate certificate be issued, for $10 I believe, and they can get the new certificate.

I have to say I like the way they look on the wall, I do not fear change. The ones I have do not say TKD or have a stamp.

It's not about fearing change, it's about the new certificates being ugly. The overwhelming majority of people that I have spoken to have said that the new certificate is cheap and ugly, when compared to the hanji paper version that preceded these new certificates.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the color change from silver to gold is or used to be at 5th Dan, not 6th.

It used to be 5th Dan, but I think it's now at 6th Dan though. I've seen the new 5th Dan and it's the same as the 1st Dan certificate (6x6 grid of glyphs). The new 6th Dan certificate has a slightly different colour and has a 3x3 grid of glyphs)[/QUOTE]

They don't have to wait. They can request a duplicate certificate be issued, for $10 I believe, and they can get the new certificate.

It's not different enough to worry about asking for a replacement and although I'm proud to have mine, it's only a bit of paper...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It used to be 5th Dan, but I think it's now at 6th Dan though. I've seen the new 5th Dan and it's the same as the 1st Dan certificate (6x6 grid of glyphs). The new 6th Dan certificate has a slightly different colour and has a 3x3 grid of glyphs)

I don't know how accurate those mookas prototypes or samples are. Everything is in flux at the Kukkiwon and nothing is set in stone. President Kang must be feeling tremendous pressure at the moment. His situation is similar David Askinas, except that the personal hostility isn't as great yet (but it's getting there), and President Kang doesn't have nearly the support at Mr. Askinas has within the organization itself, certainly not from the Board of Directors, or even outside, in the form of the KTA.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score

They have to wait because I want them to.

It's not about fearing change, it's about the new certificates being ugly. The overwhelming majority of people that I have spoken to have said that the new certificate is cheap and ugly, when compared to the hanji paper version that preceded these new certificates.
yes the hanji paper was a good change, I know a lot of people who don't like them but they do look better when framed,and it is still KKW and they are proud of that.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate those mookas prototypes or samples are.

d1jinx has offered to send me a photo of the one he received. When I get it, I'll host it somewhere and put a link in here so we can see how close it is to the mookas images.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
d1jinx has offered to send me a photo of the one he received. When I get it, I'll host it somewhere and put a link in here so we can see how close it is to the mookas images.

tonight, i promise.

both Poom and Dan along with ID's

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes the hanji paper was a good change, I know a lot of people who don't like them but they do look better when framed,and it is still KKW and they are proud of that.

My teacher visited during Christmas and we talked about the change in the Kukkiwon poom and dan certificates. I mentioned that the overwhelming majority of people out there prefer the old design. His response was that he had heard similar things and that if people continued to complain, they would probably change it back. It is not set it stone. So it is not something that we have to simply accept or forced to make lemonade out of.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

OK, so everyone is clear what they look like, here is my certificate (issued 20th of January 2011):

And here is one from d1jinx (issued 5th of February 2011):

d1jinx also sent me pictures of a Poom version of the new certificate design and a photograph of the new cards (mine is identical in design).

Thank you to d1jinx for making them available and giving me permission to upload them.

So there we go, versions of the new certificates out in the wild. I'd be interested to know if anyone gets a older new certificate (like mine) dated after the 5th of February (or if they've now exhausted the stocks of those certificates).

Last edited:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well, one things certain, Pres Kang has by far the prettiest signature!!!!!

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

I was thinking that the other night too! And I even went as far as blowing up a copy to examine closer because I thought it was just a pretty font and typed on there (but no, the 'n' in particular is slightly different between the two occurrences).

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Prettier than President LEE Seung Wan's signature? I know that Dr. KIM Un Yong's signature was by far the most comforting and secure feeling....

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Prettier than President LEE Seung Wan's signature? I know that Dr. KIM Un Yong's signature was by far the most comforting and secure feeling....

well, I can only base it off the Certs I have witnessed with Pres Kim, Pres Uhm, and Now Pres Kang.

As for any meaning behind the signature I have no comment. I was only referring to the style in which they were signed. very pretty.
icon7.gif

Post a copy of Pres Lee's and lets compare. I honestly dont remember if I saw a cert with his on it or not. But I'm open to take a look.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

In my opinion yes. Here's all four Kukkiwon presidents' signatures (hopefully I didn't miss anyone).

5497346065_40e8891984_o.jpg

Last edited:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Post a copy of Pres Lee's and lets compare. I honestly dont remember if I saw a cert with his on it or not. But I'm open to take a look.

actually I just looked at my International Master License and it was signed by Pres Lee. He has a Rock Star type signature!

I still think Pres Kang has the prettiest!
icon10.gif

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
actually I just looked at my International Master License and it was signed by Pres Lee. He has a Rock Star type signature!

I still think Pres Kang has the prettiest!
icon10.gif

I agree on both parts. A shame President Kang spent more time on his signature than his decisions ;-)

(Ooh, cheeky low blow...)

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate those mookas prototypes or samples are.

As I feel I've become a bit of a certificate geek recently, I paid up the $10 for a replacement certificate so I could see if I got the newer one or not. So, here is the certificate I got in January this year:

5686266485_3f479b7258_z.jpg

And here is the replacement I got in April this year:

5686833770_39d55045de_z.jpg

The card also changed slightly (now includes the word Taekwondo and has a red chop on it):

5686834022_6c4c391829_z.jpg

The card also appears (although the photo doesn't do it justice) to have been printed at a higher resolution (the previous one seemed a lot more grainy).

I showed my wife (non-Taekwondoin) and she much prefers the new one. I agree...

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. :)

(Good to know that the Kukkiwon listened to user feedback, and did their best improve the new certificates. Even the word 'taekwondo' makes a big difference I think)

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a batch of the new ones last month. I like the new seal and they finally put taekwondo on it! Yay!

Latest Discussions