Has anyone had to use Wing-Chun for self-defense ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are WC champions. Why does this even matter? we were discussing people who have used WC in the real world

several have been named, some UFC or mma guys also train Chinese arts

so the discussion turns into a non sequitur.

has anyone used WC in real life? Yes

well do They do MMA, sure Dan Theodore has

oh well he wasn't a champ or if he’s a champ he’s an outlier
There is a lot less benefit to being good ar wing chun than say being good at boxing for example.

Even things likeTKD. you could go fight in the Olympics.

And there is no real difference between people who are good and people who are not. When it comes to wing chun.

So people who are good. Do other things.

So that whole base line of hard chargers. That might be pushing combative wing chun just isn't there.

Which makes life very hard for wing chun in that arena.

Compare that to us where we have 14 year olds competing in MMA, JITS and boxing. Training 6 days a week.

In 10 years if they keep at it they could be of a UFC standard. They have the opportunity to compete and develop. They train with other fighters. And if they get really good. They can earn decent money and have amazing experiences.

So they are more likley to become better fighters. Because they have more opportunities to become better fighters. And life is better for them as successful fighter.

Last edited:

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is a lot less benefit to being good ar wing chun than say being good at boxing for example.

Even things likeTKD. you could go fight in the Olympics.

And there is no real difference between people who are good and people who are not. When it comes to wing chun.

So people who are good. Do other things.

So that whole base line of hard chargers. That might be pushing combative wing chun just isn't there.

Which makes life very hard for wing chun in that arena.

Compare that to us where we have 14 year olds competing in MMA, JITS and boxing. Training 6 days a week.

In 10 years if they keep at it they could be of a UFC standard. They have the opportunity to compete and develop. They train with other fighters. And if they get really good. They can earn decent money and have amazing experiences.

So they are more likley to become better fighters. Because they have more opportunities to become better fighters. And life is better for them as successful fighter.
I think that’s very true, there are Issues in WC that may not exist in say Kick boxing, mush Thai, etc

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anderson Silva also trained wing Chun and JKD under Dan Inosanto, Roy Nelson also does Kung fu
See?

You are that guy. The "kung fu works!" Guy.

Don't be that guy...save your strength. We believe you.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
See I see it a little different. There's nothing in Wing Chun that conflicts with boxing.

So, no need for all the "how do Wing Chun best boxing" stuff. Dom Izzo, etc.

What really needs to happen is people need to listen to people like Terrible Tim. Tim is having insights now that I had 15 years ago training Wing Chun, JKD, and Muay Thai, but he's the pro boxer.

Think about that. If we had a time machine and went back and Tim learned both....he might have been Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In boxing, a punch is just a punch. In CMA such as WC, a punch can be a punch followed by a pull.

This punch-grab-pull is the kernel of striking art and grappling art integration. Does boxing use a punch to set up a pull? I don't think so. The reason is boxing is 100% striking art.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In boxing, a punch is just a punch. In CMA such as WC, a punch can be a punch followed by a pull.

This punch-grab-pull is the kernel of striking art and grappling art integration. Does boxing use a punch to set up a pull? I don't think so. The reason is boxing is 100% striking art.
My primary art is heavy grappling with a solid striking foundation, and we never talked about making a grab during a strike. The energy of the two is very different, and it seems counterproductive to the strike to prepare it for also being a grab. But f it’s not prepared as a grab, it seems it’d be useless for grabbing. I don’t understand how you can throw an effective punch and still be able to use that hand to grab.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don’t understand how you can throw an effective punch and still be able to use that hand to grab.
I do that all the time in sparring. When I throw a punch, if my opponent doesn't block it, it's just a punch. The moment that my opponent blocks it, my punch will turn into a grab-pull. In other words, when I punch, I don't intend to grab-pull. But my opponent's blocking gives me a chance to grab-pull. If my opponent dodges my punch, I will have nothing to grab-pull. But I may still have chance to pull his neck.

In CMA, it's very important that you never pull your hand back empty.

Last edited:

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score

No, it's not. That's another one of your false truisms. Your statement only shows your ignorance. Please look at my several posts on the previous page. A punch can be many things other than just a punch.

Last edited:

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I went through the (very short) list of Wing Chun dudes I think are worthy of the name.

Dr. Mark Phillips. This guy is pretty decent. Dr Mark Phillips - The London Wing Chun Academy

Keep in mind this guy learned judo, Wing Chun, became a black belt BJJ, but now teaches what? Wing Chun.

He was chunner long, long before he was BJJist. Seeing some lacks in his game he as a open minded person added other martial arts to his repertoire.
And looking oh the page of hist school he teaches: WC, BJJ, MMA and Sanda

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Too late to edit previous post, but the only thing I can add is based on the examples above: The best WCers are people who practice other martial arts (together with WC or without WC).
Yup

dominick Izzo was a wrestler
Dan Inosanto, Francis Fong, practice many arts

let’s not forget that Erik Paulson does WC
Klause Brand
Emin Boztepe
Sam Kwok

many good masters out there

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My point is: if you want to be good chunner you should train other martial arts.
What is kind of strange, because I will not say: if you want to be good judoka train something else. The same with wrestling, karate, boxing etc.
Looks like adepts of most schools of WC do not understand their art.
As a BJJist I do not nedd to learn sambo for being able to use RNC in fight.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My point is: if you want to be good chunner you should train other martial arts.
What is kind of strange, because I will not say: if you want to be good judoka train something else. The same with wrestling, karate, boxing etc.
Looks like adepts of most schools of WC do not understand their art.
As a BJJist I do not nedd to learn sambo for being able to use RNC in fight.
Not true, plenty of Judo, BJJ, boxers players cross train…many martial artists do. BJJ guys often get crushed by wrestlers

and many WC guys don’t cross train and do fine. It’s an illusion they don’t, again…I named a few.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are you a Wing Chun practitioner?

Latest Discussions