Hard vs Soft Aikido...Oro??

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
As for the Nihon Goshin Aikido style, I think it's more like Jujutsu/Aiki Jujutsu than honbu-style aikido. I have seen videos of Mr. Mac Ewen demonstrating it, and I must say, NGA is amongst the best expressions of self-defense oriented Aiki Budo style I've ever seen. Mr. Mac Ewen is very impressive.
JJ_I, were these videos online? Can you point me to them for my own research? Thanks!

I agree with you entirely, from what I know of NGA [and it's probably not too much], it's a fantastically powerful, honest and direct style.

Interested to know if Jeff has further insight.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly agree with both statements here that NGA is more along the lines of aiki jujitsu than hombu style aikido. Our circles tend to be a little smaller, our atemi a little more targeted to weak spots and our concept of self defense is not one that requires that we even consider endangering ourselves to preserve the safety of our attacker. I believe you can find copies of Sensei MacEwen's videos online at his website. I'll find the link and post it here for you. Also, I've seen them on E-bay from time to time.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://espytv.com/aikido.htm Here's a link to the videos. If you decide to get any of them let me know what differences you see between NGA and hombu styles. I certainly hope that this thread has begun a friendship that will benefit both of us to expand our understanding of each others arts.

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A good Aikido dojo will have both because the curriculum has both.
What you may be looking for though may be more of Aiki Jujutsu approach though.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
I am certainly familiar with Dr Lee, Ah Loi. I have attended the Yawara Centre in London only once so can claim no great knowledge of this greatly respected lady. And just to support your earlier post, the good doctor has an excellent book that you're probably familiar with also "Tomiki Aikido, Randori and Koryu no Kata" [note, that's NOT Shodokan!!!] :)

Respects!

Unfortunately I don't have that book, and the video of Dr. Lee that I watched belonged to my sensei. However, he gave me an excellent book about Tomiki, er, Shodokan Aikido ;) , its written by Mr. Nobuyoshi Higashi, it contains all Koryu Goshin no Kata. Many of the techniques are similar with the Hakko-ryu that my sensei teach here.

Latest Discussions