Happy with your level of skill?

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I remember starting Martial Arts, and wanting to achieve a certain level of skill... though at the time my understanding of what those skill consisted of and what was worth having/knowing was pretty limited. I suspect I am now as good or better than I wanted to be then - but my knowledge and understanding of Martial Art has really improved - and compared to my seniors and instructors in the arts... Well, lets just say I feel like I have a long way to go.

Now, I feel that I understand enough to know where I want to be - and feel like with just another 15 years or so of hard training, I might get there... Of course, I might get to the level I currently perceive, and then realize that I finally get it, and etc. etc. etc.

So... Is there anyone out there who is really satisfied with their skills and abilities? Anyone who feels like they have this stuff down?

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As cliche as this may sound, I am never satisfied with my level of skill, for I always feel there is more for me to learn and understand and grow in. So as for being satisfied with where I am, no I'm not cause there is always somewhere you can improve

Now as for being happy where my skills are, yes I do feel like I have the techniques I know pretty down =]

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This may sound odd, but one the one hand I've done more in MA that I ever thought I was capable of, & on the other hand, I'm not satisfied with where I'm at with my training.

I started with my best friend at 14 years old. He was a natural athlete, & was....not! Everyone figured (my folks included) that he'd do it forever & I'd give up because it was too hard for me. He quit after 6 months & I've been training for more than 25 years.

MA training has turned me into an athlete. I think of what I put in my body & I can't wait to train. As a kid with asthma & cerebral palsy, I often figured that athletic endevours were out of my plan. Because of MA, I see those possibilities now. I've fought in full contact kickboxing matches & run 5K running races. The downside of this change in my thinking is that I'm now rarely satisified with my level of skill. I have a high degree of "should be" when I think of my abilities.

Yet, when I go to high school reunions, I'm in much better shape than 90% of of the former high school jocks who still think they are 17.

It's a hard balance between where I am & where I want to be.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am never satisfied with my skill level...I want to learn MORE..You can NEVER have too much experience...

lowkickr

White Belt
Reaction score
I think I am actually happy with my current skill set level. I don't think my progress has ended, but I feel satisfied as a martial artist with my skills. I am confident in what I know, and eager to be shown the things I havent learned yet. Throughout the process I remain happy. I guess Im just a happy guy!

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After training in martial arts for more than 20 years I can honestly say that, I'm confident in my abilities and consider myself competent, but I'm definetly not satisfied. I know that there is so much more to learn that I don't think I'll ever be satisfied.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As others have said, I have a base level of competence - but there's always something more to learn, to modify, to improve.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am happy with the knowledge I have been able to get over forty years but my thrust run deep for the knowledge and as far as skill goes if you are completely satisfied than why train anymore. Hungar is always so keep training.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So... Is there anyone out there who is really satisfied with their skills and abilities? Anyone who feels like they have this stuff down?

satisfied with my skills and abilities? Yes and No I have come a long way but I have a lng way to go

Do I feels like I have this stuff down? Hell no. And if I have another 30 years to train I still won't, but I will still train.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I echo Iceman in a lot of ways.
I never will be as good as I want or know as much as I want to, but I am surprised how much more I have gotten done and am able to do now that I am looking back.
I am running a good school and I have somewhere between a neutral and good reputation regarding skill level and knowledge.
Like I said, I have a long way to go, but I hope my road keeps going this direction.

AoG

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like others have said... it's not a straight yes or no.

Yes, I'm happy that my hard work and training has allowed me to reach a level where I've been recognized as being pretty skilled. And that I've been able to use those skills successfully when I've had to.

No, I'm not satisfied; I continue to train and seek improvement in those skills and their application.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This may sound odd, but one the one hand I've done more in MA that I ever thought I was capable of, & on the other hand, I'm not satisfied with where I'm at with my training.

I started with my best friend at 14 years old. He was a natural athlete, & was....not! Everyone figured (my folks included) that he'd do it forever & I'd give up because it was too hard for me. He quit after 6 months & I've been training for more than 25 years.

MA training has turned me into an athlete. I think of what I put in my body & I can't wait to train. As a kid with asthma & cerebral palsy, I often figured that athletic endevours were out of my plan. Because of MA, I see those possibilities now. I've fought in full contact kickboxing matches & run 5K running races. The downside of this change in my thinking is that I'm now rarely satisified with my level of skill. I have a high degree of "should be" when I think of my abilities.

Yet, when I go to high school reunions, I'm in much better shape than 90% of of the former high school jocks who still think they are 17.

It's a hard balance between where I am & where I want to be.

Kudos to you, it's inspiring to hear what martial arts can do for people who are really dedicated to it. :asian:

As far as me being satisfied with where I'm at in my own training? Not by a long shot. I haven't been training near long enough for that. I suspect there does come a point where you feel confident in your level of skill, but there is always room for improvement, and training martial arts is something you can do for a lifetime. So, satisfaction depends on whether you're evaluating how far you've come vs. how far you have to go.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, I think that you should always strive to improve your skills. For myself, I'm happy, as I've improved from years past. However, there are still many things that I can work on to make even better. As an example. During my weekly private with my instructor, I've been focusing alot on punching/boxing skills. We usually video tape every session, and watch it afterwards, so I'm able to see what I need to work on. Over time, I've seen a huge improvement, yet I still see things that I need to work on. Am I happy with the improvement? Absolutely! Am I happy staying where I am? No, I want to eliminate the weak areas and get better. :)

Mike

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i never thought id come this far. im surprised and really happy, but still not satisfied. i feel like it would be worth it to die three times just to get where i am now, but on the other hand, i havent accomplished anything worldly like ranks or belts. also, if i don't continue training and make more of what i have discovered, then it would be a real shame. which is sortof whats happening to me, but quietly i am still practicing just enough to uphold myself and in my mind i am making plans as to how to achieve the goals i never believed would even appear in my sights.

j

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm very happy where I'm at, but there's always something I wish I could do better.
Considering the physical level of many of my fellow Master Instructors, I actually feel pretty damn good. Some of them are in pretty good shape, but some of them...

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am never satisfied with my skill level...I want to learn MORE..You can NEVER have too much experience...
Agreed. Nov. 2009 will be 24 years in the martial arts for me and I still learn something all the time.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember starting Martial Arts, and wanting to achieve a certain level of skill... though at the time my understanding of what those skill consisted of and what was worth having/knowing was pretty limited. I suspect I am now as good or better than I wanted to be then - but my knowledge and understanding of Martial Art has really improved - and compared to my seniors and instructors in the arts... Well, lets just say I feel like I have a long way to go.

Now, I feel that I understand enough to know where I want to be - and feel like with just another 15 years or so of hard training, I might get there... Of course, I might get to the level I currently perceive, and then realize that I finally get it, and etc. etc. etc.

One of our instructors lovingly refers to this feeling as "wrestling with clouds". There's no such thing as a perfect technique, but you try to get to it every time. There is always so much more to learn than you have figured out already. The bar is ALWAYS higher... by the time you work your way up to where the bar was, a deeper understanding of the technique and how it should be done raises the bar higher.

Anytime I even remotely start feeling satisfied with where I am currently, my instructor will throw out a drill that makes me feel like I just put on the white belt. Very humbling, but pretty cool that this can still happen so regularly too.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
satisfied with my skills and abilities? Yes and No I have come a long way but I have a lng way to go

Do I feels like I have this stuff down? Hell no. And if I have another 30 years to train I still won't, but I will still train.

I think those of us studying internal arts have a somewhat skewed perception of this sort of question, because we knew going in it would take a long time to see significant results. In saying that I am not saying other arts do not have serious and complex curricula. Its just that the internal arts are very obvious about how long it takes to get understanding. Does that make sense?

So, like Xue, I am relatively happy with where I am at the moment, but I know that there is so much to learn and such a long way to go.

Its like being on the crest of a wave and seeing crest after crest after crest disappearing into the distance. There is always something new to strive for and to achieve.

Latest Discussions