Hapkido Uniforms

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The diamond pattern is not Hapkido at all but related somehow to the Jido Kwan (TKD) organization.

I'm neither an Hapkido guy nor JDK, but I'm curious. Is there a connection between the two where some Hapkido folks would take on the JDK's top? So much so that a diamond pattern top is referred to as an "Hapkido uniform" in most MA uniform companies. My school in suburban Chicago (in the 80's) used to train with JDK folks & their master wore a diamond top. My sabum nim wore one as well, but he was Chung Do Kwan.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Over 45 years ago, the Ji do Kwan rose from post-World War II Korea. Members of the Ji Do Kwan supported both the creation of Tae Soo Do in 1955 and Tae Kwon Do at approximately the same time. Several well-known kwan founders trained at the early Ji Do Kwan including Hwang Kee and Won Kuk Lee. The original Ji Do Kwan was different from the other kwans. The Ji Do Kwan was used as a training hall for other arts such as Yudo and Kum Do.
In 1931, Kyung Suk Lee taught Judo in Seoul, South Korea. After World War II ended, Kyung Suk Lee asked Sang Sup Chun to Teach Kong Soo Do at the same location. Sang Sup Chun taught Dong Soo Do and then brought Byung In Lee to teach Kwon Bup, Byung In Lee then taught Yun Moo Kwan Bup Bu. Byung In Lee left the Chosan Yun Moo Kwan and taught Kwan Pub Bu at the Seoul YMCA. When Byung In Lee left the Yun Moo Kwan. Sang Sup Chun took over and continued teaching Kwon Bup until the end of the Korean War 1953.
The Ji Do Kwan or "institute of knowledge, the right way or the way of wisdom," was established on March 3, 1947, first as the Chosan Yen Moo Kwan. The Ji Do Kwan was originally named the Chosan Yen Moo Kwan and Judo was the first style taught there. The creator of the Chosan Yen Moo Kwan was Sang Sup Chun, who had studied Judo in high school and Karate as a young man. San Sup Chan fist taught Judo at the Chosan Yun Moo Kwan under Kyung Suk Lee, initially teaching Kwon Bup Bu at the facility. The Chosen Yun Moo Kwan was located first in Soo Song Dong, Seoul. After the surrender of the Japanese in June 1945, the Chosan Yun Moo Kwan Moved to the So Gong Dong, Seoul, at the Japanese Gang Duk Kwan."
http://www.dallastkd.com/jidokwan.htm

OK, I'll make a bit of a leap here - there are two things that could have happened here...(only my guess...) if Yudo was the first art taught there, they probably wore Judo style dobok, which usually have a cross-stich pattern in them - it is possible this pattern was dyed in or just got dirty, and showed - thus the cross hatching look was born.

Now, is there a direct connection between Jido Kwan and Hapkido, no, but if this eclectic approach to training was the norm for them, maybe when Hapkido came to Seoul it was adopted in the training regimine of these folks, and the "unique" uniform design stuck with others just training in Hapkido.

Just a thought.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Over 45 years ago, the Ji do Kwan rose from post-World War II Korea. Members of the Ji Do Kwan supported both the creation of Tae Soo Do in 1955 and Tae Kwon Do at approximately the same time. Several well-known kwan founders trained at the early Ji Do Kwan including Hwang Kee and Won Kuk Lee. The original Ji Do Kwan was different from the other kwans. The Ji Do Kwan was used as a training hall for other arts such as Yudo and Kum Do.
In 1931, Kyung Suk Lee taught Judo in Seoul, South Korea. After World War II ended, Kyung Suk Lee asked Sang Sup Chun to Teach Kong Soo Do at the same location. Sang Sup Chun taught Dong Soo Do and then brought Byung In Lee to teach Kwon Bup, Byung In Lee then taught Yun Moo Kwan Bup Bu. Byung In Lee left the Chosan Yun Moo Kwan and taught Kwan Pub Bu at the Seoul YMCA. When Byung In Lee left the Yun Moo Kwan. Sang Sup Chun took over and continued teaching Kwon Bup until the end of the Korean War 1953.
The Ji Do Kwan or "institute of knowledge, the right way or the way of wisdom," was established on March 3, 1947, first as the Chosan Yen Moo Kwan. The Ji Do Kwan was originally named the Chosan Yen Moo Kwan and Judo was the first style taught there. The creator of the Chosan Yen Moo Kwan was Sang Sup Chun, who had studied Judo in high school and Karate as a young man. San Sup Chan fist taught Judo at the Chosan Yun Moo Kwan under Kyung Suk Lee, initially teaching Kwon Bup Bu at the facility. The Chosen Yun Moo Kwan was located first in Soo Song Dong, Seoul. After the surrender of the Japanese in June 1945, the Chosan Yun Moo Kwan Moved to the So Gong Dong, Seoul, at the Japanese Gang Duk Kwan."
http://www.dallastkd.com/jidokwan.htm

OK, I'll make a bit of a leap here - there are two things that could have happened here...(only my guess...) if Yudo was the first art taught there, they probably wore Judo style dobok, which usually have a cross-stich pattern in them - it is possible this pattern was dyed in or just got dirty, and showed - thus the cross hatching look was born.

Now, is there a direct connection between Jido Kwan and Hapkido, no, but if this eclectic approach to training was the norm for them, maybe when Hapkido came to Seoul it was adopted in the training regimine of these folks, and the "unique" uniform design stuck with others just training in Hapkido.

Just a thought.

Thanks for this! It seems like a plausible theory to me.

hapkidonet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the USA we wore plain white judo uniforms. Functional but very boring. In Panama we wore judo pants and a blue t-shirt. We never wore the jacket except when practicing throws. With 90 degree weather and 99% humidity, the jacket would be suffocating. As it was I had to wring the sweat out of my t-shirt after class, then put it in a plastic bag until it could be washed when I got home.

I like the diamond tops. It may not be originally Hapkido, but has become widely associated with Hapkido and I think it should be universally adopted as a Hapkido dobok. That's the closest think to unity that Hapkido will ever have, lol.

Latest Discussions