Hapkido Techniques compared to Aikijujutsu/Aikido?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, a little bit of everything actually. The biggest reason I would say is for my own historical curiosity. Choi Yong Sul learned Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu in Japan for decades. He comes back to his native Korea teaching what he learned. All the accounts that I've read about GM Choi is that his Hapkido was very brutal and straight forward. I read one story that stated that when Sokaku Takeda wanted to shame a student who was a little to 'full of themselves', he would have Choi spar with his class mate. Choi was said to have been very good at sparring. And of course he would defeat his opponent. The shame came not so much from the defeat, but rather a Japanese being defeated by a Korean.

Anyway, I would imagine that Choi's version Daito ryu would differ greatly because I get the sense that he may have sparred alot, shaping the way he did techniques differently from how he was taught through trial and error in sparring matches. Possibly creating something very effective and straight forward that we see some Hapkido styles today. This is just a theory, but one I think is worth looking into.

Also, I would think that Daito ryu Aikijujutsu may have changed since the passing of Sokaku Takeda. But I have no proof to really go on this one either. But, GM Choi's Hapkido may be more closer to what Takeda taught than what is being taught as Daito ryu today. As far as I can tell, Aikido and Aikijujutsu are looking more and more alike.

Also there are Hapkido techniques that I am trying to master, and by studying the source art (Daito ryu) I can get a better idea of how the techniques are done in Japan, and how they differ in Hapkido, and maybe figure out why the techniques changed here and there as well as learn different ways of doing the same technique. Of course, I understand that techniques vary teacher to teacher, but some techniques remain the same regardless of Hapkido style.
I would to mention as well, I would like to learn the Japanese names to the same techniques found in Hapkido as most Hapkido styles don't have names for many of their techniques. I learn better by names or giving techniques names rather than saying ' here is technique #1, now here is #2,..' and so on.

But, anyway, it all about learning, and growing as a martial artist. Also, honoring the memory of GM Choi and the other marital art giants from that time period. I want to preserve history as well as do research into Hapkido's roots that wouldn't just benefit myself, but anyone who would be interested. I appreciate all the comments and thoughts so far.

My 'research' is hopefully received in good spirit for which it is intended.

- Brian (or Doom)

Concerning bolded portions:

FWIW I think you will find Hapkido is brutal in that it doesn't seek to avoid harming the opponent, in fact, generally the opposite. At least the Hapkido I learned is that way. Sort of 'I didn't want to do this to begin with, and I don't want to do it again'.

If you want to study DaiIto Ryu, that is you business. But from my experience, that is not necessary for the learning of Hapkido. Nor would I think, learning any other MA that may have ancestry from another identifiable MA. A MA being taught, should stand well on its own teaching. I would think it more likely that you would either confuse yourself, or slow yourself down unnecessarily. You don't mention, but are you studying Hapkido formally, or just trying to grab a technique here and there?

In the Hapkido I studied, on a military installation, time was preceious. My GM had long ago gone to using English rather than trying to teach Korean as well as Hapkido. However, it followed the Korean example of Yellow Belt Punch Block #1, Blue Belt Kick Block #5, etc. Perhaps if you substitute such a description it will be easier for you. If there are Hapkido schools that only use numbers, I guess it is that teacher's choice to do. I actually know very little about other Hapkido schools, as I only studied under my GM. It would seem strange to try to do it any other way than what I mentioned.

As a further comment, if you are indeed only trying to grab a technique here and there, I sure wouldn't stress too much over it. Learn it and move on. Why worry about where it came from outside of Hapkido if you aren't a serious student of Hapkido. If you are a serious student of Hapkido, ask your teacher. But learn what your teacher teaches about the techniques, no matter where they may have originated from. Many MA have borrowed things that seemed very useful from other MA (and why not), starting back from a very long time ago.

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many times when I ask a martial art related topic on the internet, the remark that usually follows is, "ask your teacher". But thing is, I have. Many times, when I see that remark, I bite my lip. Instead I choose to write long, loving, flowery paragraphs to explain my position better, But not this time. I'm a little offended at the idea that somehow, I'm being disrepectful to my teacher by asking questions, and by the idea that I'm not a serious student of Hapkido by researching what came before it. When you or anyone says things like that, not only does it shut down a good discussion, but is disrespectful.

And the reason I am 'worried', as you say, about the origins of Hapkido is because I am a serious student of Hapkido. I learn what I'm taught, I ask question about what I'm taught and why I'm taught it. And I might like to know more of the history and origins of the art before that knowledge is lost as more students of GM Choi passes away.

I'm not disrespecting my teacher by asking questions outside of his dojang. One would think the hallmark of good student is one that 'asks questions'. The fact is, nobody's teacher has all the answers, and all of my instructors would admit that. That's why we get on message boards like Martial Talk to ask questions, debate, have discussions, and share knowledge. For if not, why are we here?
To often I see people more interested in stroking each others egos rather than healthy debate.

Anyway, thats all I want here, honestly, is healthy discussion on Hapkido. And not to be criticized just for asking questions. Though the offense may not have been intended, it left a bad taste in my mouth regardless.

Is Daito ryu neccessary to study as your learning Hapkido, no, far from it. As we know, Hapkido stands on its own. But, for someone like me, I have question's, I love learning the history of martial arts, all martial arts.

To me, I see nothing wrong with studying the roots of Hapkido because I can only benefit from it. The three things I want to learn is: more of the history/roots of Hapkido, roots of Hapkido techniques, and how they differ from Daito ryu.

For a quick comparison, the Okinawan's who created Karate by blending their native arts with Chinese methods, they would actually travel to southern China to gain a better understand of what aspects of their art comes from, how it differs, and what they can walk away with from what they learned. Also the Okinawans studied a book called the Bubishi (a Chinese book about White Crane, Monk fist, pressure points, and herbal medicines).
Also, I would point out, that there many deciated Aikido practioners who have studied Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu for the same reason as listed above. They often find that Daito ryu is more of a devasting style in the beginning whereas Aikido does nothing like that. And it raises health questions about Aikido, and improves their understanding of Aikido.

Anyway, for anyone still interested in this discussion here are a few points of interest listed below:

I do understand that there are Daito Ryu techniques that seek not to harm your opponent and that Hapkido is more concerned with ending the fight quickly and with devastating results. I love that about Hapkido.
Which also goes into the idea that GM Choi changed Daito Ryu into a more street effective style as concerned with the unarmed techniques as compared to Daito Ryu?

Here are a few interesting questions:

* When Choi developed Hapkido, was he the one that incorparated Judo techniques into the curriculum or was it one of his students that came later?

I've heard it said that his first student was a black belt in Judo, and that the two of them worked out defenses against Judo style throws. But, interesting to note, even if GM Choi never introduce Judo throws into his curriculum, those who presumably added later changed the throws in such a way that it brought back the Judo throws to more of their Jujutsu roots. Example: In many Hapkido Judo style throws the arm that is used as a 'lever' is locked as you throw your opponent, and you don't let go as your opponent hits the ground. Compare that to the same throws in Judo, the arms are often not locked, and you let go of your partner as he falls.
The philosophy as I understand it is this: In Hapkido, after they break and tear you joints to hell, they just discard the body with a judo technique or anther way of looking at it, is if a technique feel to break the joint, you can turn it into a judo throw and since the elbow may already be locked it makes for a more devastating throw.

* I've heard said that GM Choi spoke very little Korean, and when he did he spoke in a Japanese accent. This to me would explain why in many Hapkido schools, techniques are often referred by number and not name.
Also it would explain why no two Hapkido schools have names for their techniques often differ from one another.

To me it is easier to go over techniques with names rather than by number. An example would be if the instructor said do Omote Gyaku. And I would know that is a outside wrist twist. He could call out Omote Gyaku wrist grab, Omote Gyaku from a punch, Omote Gyaku from a clothing grab...etc. To me that is easier for me personally to learn.

* Could 'Break-Aways' be originally intended as defense not just against other Hapkido practictioners, but also against Judo practictioners since Judo often grabs the hand, wrist, and elbow as fulcrum in their throws?
Does Daito Ryu teach break aways as it relates to this debate?

* What were some of the Hand strikes that GM Choi taught?
I know he taught kicks, but not the ones we see today. The kick he taught were aimed at the groin, the feet, the knees, the back of the knees, side of the leg, the thighs, basically the lower half of the body. But, what were the hand strikes? I would be qurious and appreciative for a list.

But anyway, this is but a few question I have concerning Gm Choi and origins of Hapkido.
I just want people to know that the questions I have posed are my theories or opinions and to not get offended.
Its all healthy debate in which two sides share ideas to come to the logical truth.
Also I am a student of the World JunTong Moosul Hapkido, Huek Choo Kwan Hapkido, and Bujinkan Budo Taijutus. The reason I list that so I everyone will have better understanding of what my martial art background is.

Also, I've been training in martial arts for about 10 years now. Personally, I enjoy learning all martial arts. In seeing merit in everything. By asking these questions, I think we all will benefit from it as we might find some answers that we can share with like minded individuals instead of saying, ' I don't know'.

Last edited:

Royers

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, a little bit of everything actually. The biggest reason I would say is for my own historical curiosity. Choi Yong Sul learned Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu in Japan for decades. He comes back to his native Korea teaching what he learned. All the accounts that I've read about GM Choi is that his Hapkido was very brutal and straight forward. I read one story that stated that when Sokaku Takeda wanted to shame a student who was a little to 'full of themselves', he would have Choi spar with his class mate. Choi was said to have been very good at sparring. And of course he would defeat his opponent. The shame came not so much from the defeat, but rather a Japanese being defeated by a Korean.

Anyway, I would imagine that Choi's version Daito ryu would differ greatly because I get the sense that he may have sparred alot, shaping the way he did techniques differently from how he was taught through trial and error in sparring matches. Possibly creating something very effective and straight forward that we see some Hapkido styles today. This is just a theory, but one I think is worth looking into.

Also, I would think that Daito ryu Aikijujutsu may have changed since the passing of Sokaku Takeda. But I have no proof to really go on this one either. But, GM Choi's Hapkido may be more closer to what Takeda taught than what is being taught as Daito ryu today. As far as I can tell, Aikido and Aikijujutsu are looking more and more alike.

Also there are Hapkido techniques that I am trying to master, and by studying the source art (Daito ryu) I can get a better idea of how the techniques are done in Japan, and how they differ in Hapkido, and maybe figure out why the techniques changed here and there as well as learn different ways of doing the same technique. Of course, I understand that techniques vary teacher to teacher, but some techniques remain the same regardless of Hapkido style.
I would to mention as well, I would like to learn the Japanese names to the same techniques found in Hapkido as most Hapkido styles don't have names for many of their techniques. I learn better by names or giving techniques names rather than saying ' here is technique #1, now here is #2,..' and so on.

But, anyway, it all about learning, and growing as a martial artist. Also, honoring the memory of GM Choi and the other marital art giants from that time period. I want to preserve history as well as do research into Hapkido's roots that wouldn't just benefit myself, but anyone who would be interested. I appreciate all the comments and thoughts so far.

My 'research' is hopefully received in good spirit for which it is intended.

- Brian (or Doom)

I also wish that Hapkido used more names for techniques. In my lineage there aren't many names used for techniques. It's typically taught more along the lines of "here are the 20 joint locks, and throws covered in this keub". There are names to the techniques somewhere in an instructor's syllabus, but they're often very abstract (or unnecessarily long) and no more use than just remembering them in numerical order.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Aikido and DRAJJ use a similar numbering for at least a portion of their techniques don't they? Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo..... Don't they just translate to first technique, second technique, third technique....?

I look forward to the results of your research and hope you keep us all posted.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Aikido and DRAJJ use a similar numbering for at least a portion of their techniques don't they? Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo..... Don't they just translate to first technique, second technique, third technique....?
pretty much yes.

after that though the names differ. kotegaeshi, shihonage, etc.. bit more descriptive.

then the differences in grips/forms are just known as 1st form, 2nd form etc.. at least in my school.

Royers

White Belt
Reaction score
pretty much yes.

after that though the names differ. kotegaeshi, shihonage, etc.. bit more descriptive.

then the differences in grips/forms are just known as 1st form, 2nd form etc.. at least in my school.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I've only been to a couple of Aikido classes myself, but I seemed to remember that. I really wish we could have something like this for easy and quick reference that every Hapkido-in could read and instantly understand....

http://www.usaikifed.com/static/images/USAF_09_test_req_4.3.pdf

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I've only been to a couple of Aikido classes myself, but I seemed to remember that. I really wish we could have something like this for easy and quick reference that every Hapkido-in could read and instantly understand....

http://www.usaikifed.com/static/images/USAF_09_test_req_4.3.pdf

You know, that is one thing that I could do easily is come up with a list of known Korean names and terms for techniques that I've either heard, found, or trained in. Give me a couple of days, and I'll add that list here.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also wish that Hapkido used more names for techniques. In my lineage there aren't many names used for techniques. It's typically taught more along the lines of "here are the 20 joint locks, and throws covered in this keub". There are names to the techniques somewhere in an instructor's syllabus, but they're often very abstract (or unnecessarily long) and no more use than just remembering them in numerical order.

I look forward to the results of your research and hope you keep us all posted.

When they created the THA curriculum out of earlier efforts they felt the same way, all of our techniques have names. It makes them much easier to remember and reference.

Royers

White Belt
Reaction score
You know, that is one thing that I could do easily is come up with a list of known Korean names and terms for techniques that I've either heard, found, or trained in. Give me a couple of days, and I'll add that list here.

I'd be really interested in seeing that.

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a quick list of all the names that I can think of or quickly research for techniques found in most Hapkido schools. Also, I have given english nicknames that I've come up with over the years that took me a while to think up over the years for some of these techniques to help corralate everything.

Its also worth mentioning that I use WHA's termanology alot as it is one of the few Hapkido styles that has names for their core techniques.
The same can be said also for Hankido. Hankido is a blend of Hapkido and Aikido.
The video examples that I list are the best that I can find at the moment.
Also, most Hapkido videos demonstrate a series of techniques rather than a one technique spotlight which is why you will find so few videos listed here.

Click the names of techniques (or martial art styles) to see video of the corresponding techniques.
I will list the names of Japanese counterparts for the Hapkido techniques that I know.

And finally,

Hapkido techniques termanology:

Outside Wrist twist lock throw

Gwan Jeol Gi Beop
(Joint locking method) Hankido
Kwanjulki Bub (Joint locking method ) alt. spelling Hankido
Boo Chae (Fan) World Hapkido Association
Son Mok Su #4 (Wrist Technique) Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido
Gongkwon Yusul
Sin Moo Hapkido

Japanese Equivalent - Kotegaeshi (Aikido) / Omote Kote Gyaku (Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu)

Corkscrew wrist lock throw

Yock Boo Chae
(Reverse Fan) World Hapkido Association
Son Mok Su #5 (Wrist Technique) Jung Ki Kwan

4 Direction Throw across body (omote/outside)

Hei Jun (Rotation) World Hapkido Association

Japanese Equivalent - katae dori Shionage omote (Aikido)

4 Direction Throw inside (ura/inside)

Yock Hei Jun (Reverse Rotation) World Hapkido Association

Japanese Equivalent - katae dori Shionage ura (Aikido)

The Vine or Elbow pointed north lock

Yun Hang or Yung Hang (Arrest) World Hapkido Association
Nae We Gi Beop (Inside Outside method) Hankido

Japanese Equivalent - Sankyo (Aikido) Sankajo (Daito ryu Aikijujutsu)

Knifehand Armbar

Pal Kum Chi (Elbow) World Hapkido Association
Sin Moo Hapkido

Japanese Equivalent - Ikkyo (Aikido) Ikkajo (Daito ryu Aikijujutsu)

Devil Horns Wrist Lock or S-Lock

Son Mok Kuk Gi (Wrist Manipulation) World Hapkido Association

Japanese Equivalent - Nikyo(Aikido) Nikajo (Daito ryu Aikijujutsu)

Head over Heels throw

Hwe Jeon Tu Beop - (turn around throwing method) Hankido

Whipthrow (acrossbody)

Batjul dun chi gi (rope throw) My translation
International Hapkido Alliance?
Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido

Police Lock

? (?) Sin Moo Hapkido

To be continued................

finally notes:
Below is a video of GM In Hyuk Suh doing Son Mok Soo (wrist techniques) 1-11
Here are the nicknames I came up with for the techniques. By giving these techniques names it helped me learn better and communicate with classmates about what we were doing (whipthrow from a punch, whipthrow from wrist grab, whipthrow from defensive position...etc).

Here is the list:

1. Knifehand Armbar (some people already use this)
2. Palm up lock (crappy name I know)
3. Inside Whipthrow
4. Police Lock
5. Hip throw
6. Reverse Hip throw
7. Otoshi varation elbow break (?)
8. Head over Heels throw
9. Shionage
10. Lock & Drop
11. Devil Horns Wrist Lock

Last edited by a moderator:

Royers

White Belt
Reaction score
This is an awesome post Doom. Surprising amount of work in a few hours. I have seen these techniques in my lineage as well, but not all are referred to by a name regularly. The syllabus is a little guarded. The ones that stand out to me are the elbow press (arm bar) which we refer to as Kalakki, the outside wrist lock (break/throw) we refer to as Goki, and the Whipthrow (a lock/throw I'm very familiar with) which is taught earlier in curriculum for us from a same side wrist grab we refer to as Nae Hae Jin. I'm only a year into this school, and Hapkido in general, so this is something I'm still fairly green in but I will continue to research myself as our history is also a great interest of mine. I definitely appreciate your work on this and look forward to more.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Doomx2001. I enjoyed watching those. Interesting to me was several that showed an arm bar were different from what I learned. We learned to keep the hand close to our chest, and to strike the forearm about three fingers above the elbow, where there are a lot of nerves

Also, I was impressed by the technique of bending the wrist backwards up in the air. I was taught to hold it close to the waist as it seems to give better leverage that way, sort of sliding up the waist. Seems to take less force against the wrist. That is where the wrist has its greatest strength, inward towards the inner part of the arm. Still, with surprise and your on constantly practiced strength, one can indeed to things that in slow motion would not work.

Thanks again. I need to back over some of those and learn them.

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you know what Kalakki, Goki, and Nae Hae Jin translates into? I'll add these to the list as well.Thanks for the encouragement.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you know what Kalakki, Goki, and Nae Hae Jin translates into? I'll add these to the list as well.Thanks for the encouragement.

Sorry, I don't. I can ask my wife but she may not either, between spelling differences between different English transliterations, and some techniques being a little cryptic on occassion. But I will ask. If I have time I may try looking them up in Kimm's book as well.

Royers

White Belt
Reaction score

I'm not any help either. I'm pretty sure there are descriptions in english, but they're not referenced. I'll ask.

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Updated/Revised: Wednesday, August 8th

(I guess whenever I get done figuring this stuff out, I'll eventually start a new thread so people can see the finished, easily read, version)

Hapkido techniques termanology:

Gwan Jeol Gi Beop
Gongkwon Yusul
Sin Moo Hapkido
Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - Kotegaeshi (Aikido) / Omote Kote Gyaku (Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu)

Corkscrew wrist lock throw

Yock Boo Chae
(Reverse Fan) World Hapkido Association
Son Mok Su #5 (Wrist Technique) Jung Ki Kwan
Son Mok Soo #2 (Wrist Technique) Kuk Sool Won

Kuk Sool Won

4 Direction Throw inside (ura/inside)

Yock Hei Jun (Reverse Rotation) World Hapkido Association

Japanese Equivalent - katae dori Shionage ura (Aikido)

The Vine or Elbow pointed north lock

Yun Hang or Yung Hang (Arrest) World Hapkido Association
Nae We Gi Beop (Inside Outside method) Hankido

Japanese Equivalent - Sankyo (Aikido) Sankajo (Daito ryu Aikijujutsu)

Knifehand Armbar

Pal Kum Chi (Elbow) World Hapkido Association
Sin Moo Hapkido
Kuk Sool Won
Kuk Sool Won
Japanese Equivalent - Ikkyo (Aikido) Ikkajo (Daito ryu Aikijujutsu)

Devil Horns Wrist Lock
or S-Lock

Kuk Sool Won

Head over Heels throw

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - Katatetori Kaitenage Uchi (Aikido) Hiza Guruma (Judo)

Whipthrow
(acrossbody)

Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido

Japanese Equivalent - 'Shomen Uchi' Yonkyo (Aikido)

Whipthrow
(ura/inside)

Kuk Sool Won

Police Lock

? (?) Sin Moo Hapkido
Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent -

Hip Throw

Kuk Sool Won
(notice how the arm is 'locked' in Hapkido, but not in Judo)

Japanese Equivalent - Koshi Waza O Goshi (Judo)

Reverse Hip Throw

Kuk Sool Won (the arm is 'locked' in Hapkido, but not in Judo. And entering methods are different)

Japanese Equivalent - Uki Goshi (Judo)

Elbow Lock Otoshi varation

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - Ippon Seoi Nage (Judo)

Lock and Drop

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent -

Shoulder Lock

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent -

Leg Sweep

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - O Soto Gari (Judo)

Head Twist

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent -

To be continued................

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Gwan Jeol Gi Beop
Gongkwon Yusul
Sin Moo Hapkido
Kuk Sool Won

Similar to our (Moo Sul Kwan's) Son Mok Soo No. 1

Kuk Sool Won

We call it (and all the variations) "Four Corners Throw"

Devil Horns Wrist Lock
or S-Lock

Kuk Sool Won

Similar to our Son Mok Soo No. 18

Head over Heels throw
Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - Katatetori Kaitenage Uchi (Aikido) Hiza Guruma (Judo)

Similar to our No. 17 which my instructor calls "a heaven and earth throw"

Whipthrow
(acrossbody)

Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido

Similar to one of our throws found in our combination techniques set (Bok Hop Soo)

Police Lock

Similar to our Son Mok Soo No. 5. Ours finishes by pinning them with our knee, similar to what I've seen in DRAJJ.

Hip Throw

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - Koshi Waza O Goshi (Judo)

We have several hip throws in our technique. In our combination set, there is one that uses an armbar.

Elbow Lock Otoshi varation
Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - Ippon Seoi Nage (Judo)

We call this throw "One armed shoulder throw"

Lock and Drop
Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent -

We have a simliar armbar (without taking them to the ground) as Son Mok Soo No. 19

Leg Sweep

Kuk Sool Won

Japanese Equivalent - O Soto Gari (Judo)

Osoto Gari is usually called "Major Outer Reaping Throw" in English, at least as I've been taught.

A leg sweep refers to something else.

I saw other similarities in some of the above clips but don't have time to make comment.

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Scott. Its really helpful and insightful to get an idea of the differences and similarities of Hapkido techniques (as well as their Japanese counterparts). Thanks for taking the time type all that. Everything that I can add to the list is most appreciated.

OP
Doomx2001

Doomx2001

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've got 11 pages typed up so far. I will post the new details as soon as can. I will probably start a new thread as this will cover names of Hapkido techniques, Korean terminology, and Hapkido technqiues compared to Daito ryu (or other Japanese arts). And also, make it easier for people to find it in the event that they might want to research some of it themselves.

Royers

White Belt
Reaction score

I was going through some old vidoes of mine, and noticed that I have a some Jin Jung Kwan videos put out through Tuttle Press that have the Korean names for all the techniques it contains as well as the English translations. I hadn't watched them in a while so I'd forgotten all about it. I'd have to watch a lot of video, but I could probably eventually get you some of those techniques eventually.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going through some old vidoes of mine, and noticed that I have a some Jin Jung Kwan videos put out through Tuttle Press that have the Korean names for all the techniques it contains as well as the English translations. I hadn't watched them in a while so I'd forgotten all about it. I'd have to watch a lot of video, but I could probably eventually get you some of those techniques eventually.

Perhaps it would be easier to ask an instructor of Korean MA who is a native Korean speaker?

Latest Discussions