Handwraps?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I only have a couple pair (and one of them I've found to be too short to be a good fit for my hands) that I own... recently I saw a student at the boxing school with a pair of Ringside GelShock handwraps (they have a thin layer of gel and neoprene on the knuckles- essentially, they fit like a glove, and velcro-wrap around the wrist.)

Anybody try 'em? What did you think?

Any other brands or styles you might suggest? I don't mind brusing my knuckles... on the other hand, my wrists are fairly skinny and need support. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use Ringside's "Mexican" handwraps. They are the yellow ones that have a slight stretch to them. I also put in a set of knuckle guards. I have used others, but never any like the ones you described.

BTW-the Mexican handwraps are 180 inches in length, so they should work pretty good.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have the everlast version. http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-evergel-glove-wraps.html

I wear them at home, when i'm working out in my basement. I usually don't were my gloves, so the gel gloves protect my hands from my canvas wavemaster. They are a lot easier to get on and off. They don't support the wrist as well as wraps and I don't like the way the rubber feels when my hands get sweaty.

At the gym I usually have a higher punch count and can hit the hanging heavy bag a lot harder, so I need the added support from wraps.

Hope this helps.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I use Ringside's "Mexican" handwraps. They are the yellow ones that have a slight stretch to them. I also put in a set of knuckle guards. I have used others, but never any like the ones you described.

BTW-the Mexican handwraps are 180 inches in length, so they should work pretty good.

I think I have the same wraps, but the velcro strap is starting to detach. Is it harder to wrap your hands with the knuckle guards?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only have a couple pair (and one of them I've found to be too short to be a good fit for my hands) that I own... recently I saw a student at the boxing school with a pair of Ringside GelShock handwraps (they have a thin layer of gel and neoprene on the knuckles- essentially, they fit like a glove, and velcro-wrap around the wrist.)

Anybody try 'em? What did you think?

Any other brands or styles you might suggest? I don't mind brusing my knuckles... on the other hand, my wrists are fairly skinny and need support. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I tend to prefer the mexican style, never tried the gel ones, don't really plan on it.

If your knuckles are bruising I am guessing you are not wearing gloves suitable for what you are doing, if at all. So my advice is: heavier gloves.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I tend to prefer the mexican style, never tried the gel ones, don't really plan on it.

If your knuckles are bruising I am guessing you are not wearing gloves suitable for what you are doing, if at all. So my advice is: heavier gloves.

Oh, they're not really bruising; I just meant that my knuckles were fine as they were- that is, the handwraps provide enough protection for 'em in and of themselves. I use 16 oz. gloves when we do bag work.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Handwraps = evil! That is unless you are practicing boxing for sport purposes....then they are great:)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Handwraps are only evil if you consider functioning wrists evil as well.

Martial arts has this uncanny ability to get people to forget common sense when it comes to looking after there body, don't fall for it. It's almost like telling a sprinter that shoes are evil...

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Handwraps = evil! That is unless you are practicing boxing for sport purposes....then they are great:)

In a one hour boxing class, I could end up throwing between 500-1000 punches. There might be days where it gets over 1000. With that many punches, your wrists will fatigue and the risk of injury increases.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I would advise strengthening your wrists some.

I'n not saying that you shouldn't use wraps during a long, intense training session, but you won't have time to put on wraps in a self-defense situation.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I'n not saying that you shouldn't use wraps during a long, intense training session, but you won't have time to put on wraps in a self-defense situation.

Fair enough; any exercises you suggest, other than wrist curls with weights?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I agree with zdoom here it is in your best interest

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm like you, don't really need'em but my little wrists appreciate a little support. I have the everlast gel gloves and my opinion is get the long traditional wraps and practice wrapping your hands. There's lots of ways to wrap your hands. You'll get more support from the wraps then you will the gloves. In my experience trying these things on and with the ones I purchased they're not made for skinny wrists there for you won't get the support there. Also the gel tends to slip off your knuckle, in one case I actually blistered my knuckle due to a seem inside the glove rubbing back and forth across the knuckle. Constantly have to readjust the gloves so the gel is over the knuckles and so on... If you find a pair you're happy with I'd be interested in hearing about them but I'd say spend your money on wraps and maybe the knuckle guards someone else mentioned.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Been boxing as a martial art for many many years....train in boxing nearly everyday and have never hurt my hands or wrists. No stranger to many rounds on the heavy bag but when you punch bareknuckle you soon realize what your limitations are regarding both your hands and your wrists. Wraps and gloves give you a false sense of what you can do...for sport it is fine and not false but if you plan on actually using them bareknuckle then why not learn these limitations?

If you are going to do sport specific training and expect to punch just like you do when wearing wraps and gloves when you are faced with a situation where you don't have them...you just might break something.

Hitting the bag without wraps will strengthen your wrist considerably. All those little muscles that help stabilize your fist need to be worked. When you wrap you give artificial support and these little muscles do not have to come into play. Much in the same way that free weights work you differently than a weight machine does.

I can honestly say that if you are in danger of damaging your wrists from punching without wraps then you better start doing something to strengthen them or practice your elbow strikes more.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Human hands are not decided as a impact weapon, they are designed to hold things. The false sense of security argument I find flawed, for a very simple reason. Wrists get damaged through repetitive impact, in a "real" fight if you need to punch someone 1000 times something has gone wrong. Plus, chances are, you will never be in a real fight, so why risk your hands?

I am fully confident I can hit a person just fine without gloves and wraps, I've hit things many times without them. Now, I've smartened up (a little, and only on some things ;) ) and wrap up and wear gloves if I am going to do a lot of hitting.

Striking barefist all the time can also give a false sense of security IMO, people that do it all the time seem to forget that hands can break, and do break if they hit the target wrong, if its harder then what they are used to, a different shape, etc. People that protect there hands in training know that there is a reason they protect them.

Neither go for everyone, most people are smart enough to know that fists break easier then skulls. But IMO the question is to do with training. I wear shoes when I run, and gloves when I punch things. I'd like to retain use of both my hands and feet as I age, and these things seem common sense to me.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrist curls are for your forearm. I would recommend paying attention to arm and wrist alignment.

Good luck and I agree with zDom and Terry, you don't need gloves.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Human hands are not decided as a impact weapon, they are designed to hold things. The false sense of security argument I find flawed, for a very simple reason. Wrists get damaged through repetitive impact, in a "real" fight if you need to punch someone 1000 times something has gone wrong. Plus, chances are, you will never be in a real fight, so why risk your hands?

You are right...hands are not made for impact so you have to make sure you understand how hard you can hit but it seems as though you are sure you are correct so I won't go further with this. As for the chance of never getting in a fight....why bother training then, why not just do martial sports?

Striking barefist all the time can also give a false sense of security IMO, people that do it all the time seem to forget that hands can break, and do break if they hit the target wrong, if its harder then what they are used to, a different shape, etc. People that protect there hands in training know that there is a reason they protect them.

So you are saying that the guy who wears wraps and gloves all the time knows how much his hands can take more than the guy who never wears them? The logic used in this whole paragraph boggles the mind but once again you are sure of yourself so why bother? People who want to be right will always convince themselves that they are.

Neither go for everyone, most people are smart enough to know that fists break easier then skulls. But IMO the question is to do with training. I wear shoes when I run, and gloves when I punch things. I'd like to retain use of both my hands and feet as I age, and these things seem common sense to me.

Most people are smart enough to know not to punch someone in the top of the head...the old adage train like you fight and fight like you train fits nicely here but again people like to be right.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like the better (and, admittedly, less expensive!) alternative is to get more wraps... I'm thinking 140" with the velcro closures (as that's basically what I've been using) will do. Just wanted to hear more about the gel gloves.

Thanks all!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I have the same wraps, but the velcro strap is starting to detach. Is it harder to wrap your hands with the knuckle guards?

I have the same problem with my handwraps. Afetr a few months I have to get a new pair. The old ones go in a bucket and are for the less fortunate.

The knuckel guards can be a little hard to get used to for a little while, but after using them for a while they kind of become a habit. They have saved my knuckles a bunch. I have seperated my knuckles doing board and concrete breaks and they tend to keep this from happening.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am in agreement with everyone stating that you need to strengthen your wrists, but as AG stated your hands are not designed to be used the way they are in a boxing workout. The gym where I train is pretty common for guys to throw around 350-400 punches per round. If you are doing that for 1.5 to 2 hours it is going to screw up your hands if you don't have the proper tools/equipment. In addition, over the course of time a boxer will start throwing harder and faster punches. As hard as some boxers punch it is nearly impossible to condition your hands to a level capable of taking that much abuse. To be effective in the ring or on the street you need to take precautions to protect your hands form injury. Wearing gloves and handwraps is a precaution that just makes good sense. IMHO.

Latest Discussions