Hand Strikes

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread, there was discussion on the different kicks that are found in Modern Arnis. I thought that we could have a similar discussion on the hand strikes.

Mine include the following:

Lead hand punch (jab)
Reverse punch (straight)
Hook punch
Bolo/uppercut
Backfist
Hammerfist
Palm strike
Knifehand
Ridgehand
Tiger mouth
Finger thrust
Elbow strikes

ok, I understand most of those.

What's "Tiger Mouth"? I've never heard of that before.

The Game said:
ok, I understand most of those.

What's "Tiger Mouth"? I've never heard of that before.

Tiger mouth--AKA Web Hand. Think of forming the letter "C" with your hand.:)

Mike

Is it related to the Tiger Claw palm? Or as it's called in "Get Tough", the chin-jab? Palm open, fingers spread and curled in. Launched like an uppercut to the point of the jaw, with the fingers digging into the eyes and cheekbones?

Mcura said:
Is it related to the Tiger Claw palm? Or as it's called in "Get Tough", the chin-jab? Palm open, fingers spread and curled in. Launched like an uppercut to the point of the jaw, with the fingers digging into the eyes and cheekbones?

The tiger mouth/web hand strike is mainly used to target the throat. The other strike that you mention usually targets the face/chin area, with the fingers targeting the eyes.

Mike

Mcura said:

Shape your hand like you are picking up a very large can.

Now slam the webbed part between the thumb and forefinger into their throat.

I am not sure if this is part of the traditional movements of Modern Arnis but I would submit the "splashing hand" to your list of strikes. It manifests itself as an open hand slap (forehand or backhand) to the face or to the groin. While not devastating, it has a shock value and serves as a distraction when disarming or throwing the opponent.

Rob

Latest Discussions

Back