Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AS suggested in another thread I would like to know:

1. do you do hand conditioning
2. do you use a lineament to harden the hands or improve blood flow
3. what dose your hand conditioning consist of ( wooden dummy, sand (( heated or not)), knuckle/finger pushups, etc.
4 How often do you do an intensive hand conditioning work out

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
During my teacher lived in my house, when he drank tea with me on the dinner table, he always hit his hand on the dinner table non-stop. I picked up that habit from him. I would strike my hand on any object and on any surface whenever I have a chance. IMO, it's better to integrate MA training into our daily life.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

3. what dose your hand conditioning consist of ( wooden dummy, sand (( heated or not)), knuckle/finger pushups, etc.

1 - yes.
2 - yes.
3 - jow rub / hei gung / heavy bag <or dummy> / sand bag platform / push ups / sand bag hanging / jow soak
4 - not regularly for multiple reasons, but regular enough to make people not like my hands when delivered with intent.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes and yes. I hit a wall sand bag and heavy BOB filled with sand for hand conditioning. I also do forearm conditioning by bridge punching arm to arm. I also punch and do other weird stuff to my arms using my arms and wrists..I just do an after massage away from heart and out the towards the finger tips.. Then last I use a Dit Dow Jow. Either Leung Jan or Ho family recipe. I try and do it everyday with a day off here or there.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hand conditioning?
Yes.
3 times a week for the past 35 years
Wall bag punching, palm striking, arm tempering, finger jabs.
Dit Dow Jow

Also do forearm, upper arm, upper body, and leg tempering 3 times a week

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Used to do a lot of these but later found that the fine motor movement in my hand was suffering so I stopped it. Used to do lots of knuckle push ups and sport those lovely black calloused knuckles. I still do it from time to time:)

Last edited:

The Scythian

White Belt
Reaction score
Punching gravel helps. Start with fine sand and work your way to larger grains every week or so. Eventually you'll be striking concrete or something of that nature.

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the soft conditioning method though it does take time;)

Last edited:

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it starts out as you dropping your hand on a sand bag. Eventually doing it harder and then graduating to pebbles, rocks, ultimately metal shots/or steel balls.start at 30 a day then graduate to at least a 100 per day per hand formation. Looks easy but takes time and definitely hard core;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it starts out as you dropping your hand on a sand bag. Eventually doing it harder and then graduating to pebbles, rocks, ultimately metal shots/or steel balls.start at 30 a day then graduate to at least a 100 per day per hand formation. Looks easy but takes time and definitely hard core;)

Ah cool. Thanks :) Yes definatley hard core. I pretty much don't go any further than a breeze block wall. Even then compared to you guys, I would be a woose. Like the idea of a lump of bamboo though.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've never quite got this kind of training. Isn't it basically just destroying nerve endings in the hands? I guess it depends on what style of MA you do, but if I'm wrestling someone or doing chi sau I need all the sensitivity/proprioception I can get

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never quite got this kind of training. Isn't it basically just destroying nerve endings in the hands? I guess it depends on what style of MA you do, but if I'm wrestling someone or doing chi sau I need all the sensitivity/proprioception I can get

Yeah you do. I have begun to become conscious of that again. It is not overly noticeable though, but not knowing what the physical effects exactly are, could be a guess.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When done properly you still feel there isn't any nerve damage you just become tempered to the pain.

Pain is nothing new to me, I live with intimately. I fear that not being a disciplined Martial Artist, I may have, and I say may, sustained some damage there. My right fingers feel a bit spongy tactile wise. I hope I am not just being paranoid here, but then again, probably :(

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't do any hand conditioning anymore.

If I could turn the clock back I'm not sure I'd hit anything other than air or people. Not pads, not bags, not walls, old cars, sand nor trees. I'm pretty sure I'd have less arthritis in my hands.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do any hand conditioning anymore.

If I could turn the clock back I'm not sure I'd hit anything other than air or people. Not pads, not bags, not walls, old cars, sand nor trees. I'm pretty sure I'd have less arthritis in my hands.

Hey, feel for you man. It runs in my family. For what's its worth, I kinda understand.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, feel for you man. It runs in my family. For what's its worth, I kinda understand.

Thanks, man. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else. My hands never hurt when I'm training, but they sometimes get stiff afterwards. They hurt some when the weather changes, and it's always changing around this neck of the woods. Everything else hurts, though, especially my hips, which can be a real pain in the workout. I'd love to stop training, I really would, but I can't. If I didn't work out and exercise I'd probably shrivel up and turn into a small, dry stick. That would really suck. :)

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well if ot were just up to me to have more penetration or devastating power in my hands, I will just use brass knuckles/ or any force multiplier. I wear steel toed shoes most of the time anyway:) than risk physical damage from iron fist/hand/foot/shin training:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions