Hand Chasing

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your hands are chasing your opponent's hands, your hands are not chasing his head. But if your hands can get your opponent's hands, his hands can't punch you. There are many ways to end a fight.

1. You can knock your opponent down.
2. You can also just disable your opponent's arms so his arms can't hurt you.

IMO, 2 is "less violent" than 1. So what's wrong with "hand chasing"? Your thought?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's a serious situation, then hand chasing is probably going to get you hurt.
Better to end it quickly before your opponent has an inkling of what he's dealing with.
If you try to wow him with technique it may not go as planned.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think it's a bad idea to stop a fight like this?

double_under_hooks.png

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't aim for someone's head anyway. People in fights (especially without proper training) have a habit of moving their head very unpredictably meaning it is hard to pin down. There are far bigger and easier targets to aim for that are just as effective at disabling someone, like the leg or ribs. When I'm sparring my main objective is to open up someone's mid-section and focus my attacks there. If I need to take out their arms to do that then I will.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every thing is situational, but as a rule if you're concerned about being humane or having a fair fight, then maybe you shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- A striker thinks about knock down.
- A wrestler thinks about clinch, take down, and ground game.

Both approaches can end a fight. The difference is since the 2nd approach can be divided into 3 parts. It will give you more options. My concern is the moment that your have broken your opponent's nose and draw blood, there is no return after that.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
- My concern is the moment that your have broken your opponent's nose and draw blood, there is no return after that.

Absolutely, which adds weight to what I said earlier.

You should only fight when absolutely necessary.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Absolutely, which adds weight to what I said earlier.

You should only fight when absolutely necessary.

I assumed we were talking about a situation where the fight has started and we are looking for a way to end it, either by trapping/locking the opponent's limbs or smacking them before they can land an attack.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When your hands are chasing your opponent's hands, your hands are not chasing his head. But if your hands can get your opponent's hands, his hands can't punch you. There are many ways to end a fight.

1. You can knock your opponent down.
2. You can also just disable your opponent's arms so his arms can't hurt you.

IMO, 2 is "less violent" than 1. So what's wrong with "hand chasing"? Your thought?

is underhooks technically hand chasing? in which case it is viable.

if you are just trying to control a wrist out of thin air. you are going to have a bad day.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every thing is situational, but as a rule if you're concerned about being humane or having a fair fight, then maybe you shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

There is this thing called the force continuum. It is kind of a cool idea.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd never chase the hands, if they ever present as a target then yes I'd grab to either to go into a lock or a pin or as a lever to control them but if I can't then I wouldn't chase it I'd focus more on ending it quickly instead of getting the hands

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
is underhooks technically hand chasing? in which case it is viable.

if you are just trying to control a wrist out of thin air. you are going to have a bad day.
If you use a right hand to

- downward parry on your opponent's left arm, or
- grab on your opponent's left wrist,

your opponent will rotate his left arm to avoid contact. If you also rotate your right arm under his left arm and move in, you can get an right under hook under his left shoulder.

So the "downward parry" or "wrist grab" is just a set up for your under hook.

- You chase his hand,
- chase his arm, and then
- finally chase his shoulder.

Your arm function like a snake. Your opponent's hand is only the starting point. what you want to get is trying to reach to his shoulder.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd never chase the hands, if they ever present as a target then yes I'd grab to either to go into a lock or a pin or as a lever to control them but if I can't then I wouldn't chase it I'd focus more on ending it quickly instead of getting the hands

Big thing for security work or weapons.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the situation, It might be the best option (Restricting/disabling the arms) for making it out with minimal damage. However, If one is focused on the hands and some type of complex move, It can allow more openings for your opponent. I would just follow Lee Jun-fan's example and keep it simple. That might even include just backing up and leaving (assuming it is just you involved).

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you start a

- war, you will bomb your enemy's airport first. You will not bomb your enemy's capital first. After you have destroyed your enemy's airplane, you can bomb his capital anyway you want to.
- fight, you will disable your opponent's arms first. You will not attack his head first. After you have disabled your opponent's arms, you can punch his head anyway you want to.

An uppercut after clinch can be toward your advantage.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a serious situation, then hand chasing is probably going to get you hurt.
Better to end it quickly before your opponent has an inkling of what he's dealing with.
If you try to wow him with technique it may not go as planned.
I don't think takedowns and such are about trying to "wow" anyone with technique. They are a different answer to the problem. Done right, they should also happen "before your opponent has an inkling of what he's dealing with".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you start a

- war, you will bomb your enemy's airport first. You will not bomb your enemy's capital first. After you have destroyed your enemy's airplane, you can bomb his capital anyway you want to.
- fight, you will disable your opponent's arms first. You will not attack his head first. After you have disabled your opponent's arms, you can punch his head anyway you want to.

An uppercut after clinch can be toward your advantage.

This is too absolutist, IMO. A strike can set up an opening for grappling, so striking can sometimes come first, even if your objective (or default response) is grappling.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wrist chasing is schoolyard playfighting, and ends badly. A full clinch, or other "dominant" position (the Khabib bicep-slice flattener comes to mind) is viable.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrist chasing is schoolyard playfighting, and ends badly. A full clinch, or other "dominant" position (the Khabib bicep-slice flattener comes to mind) is viable.

Wrist control allows you to hit the guy on that side without him hitting you.

There are definite ways to snag a wrist in a clinch and advantages to having it.

Latest Discussions