Halloween Tragedy

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Police: Shooter feared trick-or-treater was robber

• By MEG KINNARD, Associated Press Writer Meg Kinnard, Associated Press Writer – Sat Nov 1, 6:39 pm ET

AP – This undated photo provided by the Sumter, (S.C.) Police Dept. shows T.J. Darrisaw. T.J. Darrisaw a 12-year-old …

SUMTER, S.C. – An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.
Quentin Patrick, 22, is accused of killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw on Friday night. T.J.'s 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and their father, Freddie Grinnell, were injured but were released after being treated at a hospital.
The family attended a Halloween celebration in downtown Sumter, 45 miles east of Columbia, then stopped at Patrick's house because the porch light was on, police said. Another sibling was with them, but wasn't hurt.
Police said at least two of the boys were wearing ghoulish masks when they knocked on the door. The boys' mother and a toddler stayed in the car nearby.
Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock, Police Chief Patty Patterson said.
He told police he had been robbed and shot in the past year.
"He wasn't going to be robbed again, and he wasn't going to be shot again," Patterson said Saturday at a news conference.

Patrick has been charged with murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill.
Read Full Article

Do the words... ID your targets POSITIVELY ID your target before shooting mean anything to this moron??
I can hardly think a past drug-dealer suffering from post-traumatic stress when he should know that his lifestyle is going to up the odds of his *** getting shot at. Fact that there was $7500.00 cash for which he had NO explanation for says (to me) that prison didn't do a damn thing to reform him.

I HOPE, I HOPE he gets the death penalty!! Pure and simple. Prison didn't reform him before so what makes anyone think that doing time again for killing a CHILD is going to reform him this time around... IF he ever gets out.

Heart goes out to the mother who was probably having a good time watching her boy out on what was SUPPOSED to be a safe outing. How would she explain it to the little child that was with her that her brother/cousin?? Isn't going to play with her anymore? He looks like he was a pretty smart kid that would've had a LOT of potential... at least a hellva lot more than the bastard that shot him.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_on_re_us/trick_or_treat_killing

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Madness. That is a truly sad story. The shooter needs to be removed from society. I'm saying a prayer for the family.

Franco

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
ID your target, keep track of what day it is, and remember that ROBBERS DON'T KNOCK! Epic Fail.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ID your target, keep track of what day it is, and remember that ROBBERS DON'T KNOCK! Epic Fail.

Actually they do. They knocked for me. It's typical of criminals who really don't want to deal with people, just take goods; knock loudly first ... if no answer, kick the door in.

Nevertheless, this is an incredible tragedy.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My best wishes and hear to goes out to the family and friends for the young man T.J., wo was shot and killed.

Robbers do knock. To see if people are home and to get people to come to the door. Bad guys who go into a Drug dealers house with the purpose of shooting others may not knock. But different intent and level of threat.

Now to the person and I use the term loosely, who shot the weapon, I mean what if he knew the person on the other side of the door. What if it was a friend or someone else dropping by to check on him. This person was not right in the head. I am not sure there would be any possibilities for them with therapy either.

It is a sad situation. A very sad situation. :(

Respect and heart felt wishes the Family of T.J. :asian:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually they do. They knocked for me. It's typical of criminals who really don't want to deal with people, just take goods; knock loudly first ... if no answer, kick the door in.

Good point, but dang - at least wait to see if they proceed to b) kick the door in.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point, but dang - at least wait to see if they proceed to b) kick the door in.

Indeed! Or look through the peep hole or out the window! *Especially on Halloween!!* Must've been high.

F

foggymorning162

More proof of how messed up the world is today. :disgust:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Indeed! Or look through the peep hole or out the window! *Especially on Halloween!!* Must've been high.

...or just plain stupid...or even worse; both.

Madness. That is a truly sad story. The shooter needs to be removed from society. I'm saying a prayer for the family.

Franco

He had been removed before, and then let back out. Proof that some folks can not function and/or exist in society and therefore must be removed... permanently.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another story of some excuse for a human being destroying himself and taking others, in this case a kid, with him. Sad.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This story is a sad and sobering one. I just went trick-or-treating with my neice and nephew, and most of the houses in the neighborhood we went to were dark. (Every year before, the neighborhood we went to is usually pretty festive with carports turned into haunted houses.)

It's scary to think of what can happen, especially when that's not one of the things that you would normally be on guard against. Teenagers egging cars and stealing candy, sure. But not thugs in a house with the porchlight on shooting through the door, windows, and walls.

Prayers will definitely be said for that family and boy.

Latest Discussions