GroovyKarateka

White Belt
Reaction score
So i was learning heian nidan and I must say I really like this kata, mainly because of haiwan uke, when doing this uke I think of that picture describing motobu choki fightng a boxer and doing this uke (I know the drawing shows gichin funakoshi but its meant to be motobu choki). Now, I´d like to ask, what´s the use for this uke? what does it block or why does it exist? anyone here knows?

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i was learning heian nidan and I must say I really like this kata, mainly because of haiwan uke, when doing this uke I think of that picture describing motobu choki fightng a boxer and doing this uke (I know the drawing shows gichin funakoshi but its meant to be motobu choki). Now, I´d like to ask, what´s the use for this uke? what does it block or why does it exist? anyone here knows?
It depends on the style and what they teach as I have been given different explanations between my system, Shotokan and TKD. I was taught that it is a grab defense.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As in many TMA techniques there are various applications, defensive and offensive. I can see it as a cross wrist grab release, a double block, or even a kamae. One of the problems in the beginning pinans/heians is that they are simplified basics of other katas (or so believed of Itosu's creation) so there may not be enough info within the kata to read some moves in context. Check out some ideas on the net, there's a number of videos on it, and then experiment with a partner and discover some possibilities on your own.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have this in pinan sono ni, and I've seen at least 3 bunkais of the combined uchi uke/jodan uke

1. uchi blocks a punch, then while the uke block is "preparing" for a kind of sotu uke to the attackes next strike, where you block and strike the elbow joint.

2. uchi uke of a straight punch, and the uke arm is then countering with a hammerfist to the temple.

3. other option is the joka uke arm is blocking a high mawashi tsuki, while simultanouesly striking like an uppercut to the nose.

these are all described in detail in "kyokushin kata" book by shihan Brian Fitkin.

Latest Discussions