Hair grabs?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Hair grabs? What are the ways have you been taught?

We were told two ways: grab and pull or grab and twist the hair then pull.

It there a good way to do this? (for the top of the head),not chest hairs ............Aloha

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just grab and pull their head down whilst uppercutting to the face or body with the other hand. Can be simulated in sparring/drilling by your training partner wearing a headguard and you using that to lever the strike (instead of grabbing a chunk of their hair). No real need for overly technical approaches to the grab.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We usually start by firmly pinning attackers hand to our head and striking ribs OR after pinning, twist attackers wrist (of the grabbing hand) by pivoting our body.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hair grabs are serious stuff, common to many street confrontations. A good hand full of hair and a sudden yank can cause real damage. It is a common attack on women (Men on women & women on women). I heard of a woman (Maurys show, I know) who was abused by her husband, when she told him she was going to leave he snatched her up by a lock of hair and viciously yanked her off her feet, breaking vertibrea in her neck, paralizing her. He then proceeded to sexualy abuse her for hours. She lived, but had a long road to limited recovery. Most people have an understanding of hair grabs even at grade school level, many people have not studied or trained hair grabs but can easily use them with great effect. Some systems of martial arts train hair grab defenses, based in solid theory, but it's hit or miss under pressure. Law enforcement & military people will say get a buzz cut, but many women do not want to go G.I. Jane for self protection. Grabbing the hair is a favorite of some law enforcement against hippies and the like, I've seen it first hand. A hair grab by a trained martial artist can cause a great deal of damage,(I.E. knees,elbows,etc...) especialy when that person means to finish the confrontation. Look at most MMAists, most have a hair cut much like a buzz cut, and that's for good reason. Many MMA events forbid hair grabs/pulling. Who here has trained to defend against a hair grab? If not done well, the consiquences are serious. Great thread! PEACE

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hair grabs are a great way to of blance somone and/or put them to the ground I even allow them in my sparring classes so people learn to do them and act when it is done to them

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To grab someones hair, I would take what I can get. A handful of hair with a bit of a twist will yeild a more firm grip, I believe.

To defend or counter a grab on my own hair - I keep my hair at a #1 buzzcut all over. It's not something I think about.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand the advantage of very short hair or even being shaved bald, but what do you tell any women who will not shave their head or cut it short, sorry lady you are S.O.L.?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jimi said:
I understand the advantage of very short hair or even being shaved bald, but what do you tell any women who will not shave their head or cut it short, sorry lady you are S.O.L.?

S.O.L.? Not really. Many years ago I had a fight with my sister (that was way before I took up martial arts). We yanked each other's hair out and ended up with a fistful of hair (and some scalp). Yep, it hurt, but we were both very mad so did not really feel it as much (until afterwards). I guess we both saw this coming, so using hair as a control method didn't work at this point.

For hair grabs to be effective and to really control head direction will depend on WHERE the grab takes place.

- Ceicei

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Hair grabs? What are the ways have you been taught?

We were told two ways: grab and pull or grab and twist the hair then pull.

It there a good way to do this? (for the top of the head),not chest hairs ............Aloha

Insert fingers into the hair. This gives a weave like effect. Then grip. This gives a nice strong grip.

Now for the shorter hair you just go for what you can grab.

For the bald and shaved looks, I slap the scalps and sting them also disorienting them with the strike. NOTE: Compression of vertibrae mey occur so practive safely with your partner.

For some people I do not bother to go for the hair. One slaps and grips like you do a basketball. Yes, it is like palming someones' head. This also works wonders for intimidation.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We like to insert/weave the fingers into the hair with the back of the hand next to the scalp on the side of the head, close the grip, then turn the hand to apply a hair grab.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every now and then at my school we practice hair grabs. Kinda like strike, get the hair, knee, then pull then face down onto the floor. We should probably practice it more, but it's like doing fingerlocks, everyone hates to be uke for it.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
OUCH !!!!!! and EEEWWW!!

Family love is beautiful!

That was the only time we fought physically. We haven't since then and learned to talk to each other afterwards. We're very close now.

To remain on topic, hair grabs do work, so I won't hesitate to do that if I need to against an attacker. My favorite location for hair grabs is the back of the head with a downward pull. Now if I want to get out of a hair grab, I'll do something (strikes to vulnerable places) to to him (catch his attention elsewhere) and get him to let go....

- Ceicei

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
We like to insert/weave the fingers into the hair with the back of the hand next to the scalp on the side of the head, close the grip, then turn the hand to apply a hair grab.

Good point here? Another way to grab besides palm down? I like this idea of palms up! Thank-you for bringing that up! .....Aloha