Greenpeace VS Greenland

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
– Sun May 29, 5:36 pm ET COPENHAGEN (AFP) – Two Greenpeace activists occupied a drilling platform in southwestern Greenland Sunday to protest oil prospecting in the Arctic, causing the government to issue an angry reaction.
The activists, who arrived by rubber dinghy, climbed the 53,000-tonne "Leif Eiriksson", a rig due to begin drilling for oil for Scottish company Cairn Energy.
They placed themselves in a survival pod that now hangs from the platform 30 metres above icy water below, Greenpeace said.
"The two men are in this capsule with enough supplies for 10 days," said Birgitte Lesanner, Greenpeace spokeswoman in Denmark.
The event took place early Sunday morning, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) off the coast of Greenland's capital, Nuuk.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110529/sc_afp/denmarkgreenlandenvironmentgreenpeace

I think all Greenland has to do is wait 13 days and those guys should be out of food. They can't stay up there forever... either that or climb up there and cut 'em down and arrest them for trespassing.
The things those folks will do. At least they're not trying to rig it to blow up.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have little time for the nonsense that Greenpeace spouts but what I really dislike is the ugly side of my own nature they bring out - for example, I fully applauded the stance the French took with these 'fluffy imaged' terrorists (the stance that ended up with one of the Rainbow Warrior's (blech!) on the bottom of the harbour.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They seemed much more believable in the early 80s...

But maybe I was more gullible then...

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They seemed much more believable in the early 80s...

But maybe I was more gullible then...
It seems that they've developed the mentality that their signs and protests aren't getting their messages across and desperate to be heard and to save the planet they're willing to go to extreme measures. Unfortunately it put them into a bad light and apparently they don't seem to care anymore... why not? Bans against whaling and oil rigs designed to prevent spillage aren't working. So they gotta do something ... right?

I'm all for their ideals... but not their methods.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems that they've developed the mentality that their signs and protests aren't getting their messages across and desperate to be heard and to save the planet they're willing to go to extreme measures. Unfortunately it put them into a bad light and apparently they don't seem to care anymore... why not? Bans against whaling and oil rigs designed to prevent spillage aren't working. So they gotta do something ... right?

I'm all for their ideals... but not their methods.

Well, the methods seemed to have been warranted - then.

Nowadays? Not so much. Europe is on the cutting edge of ecologic awareness. Many decades ahead of the US, but those stuns are just anachronistic these days. \

Back then you had to pull some insane stunt to get air time. We have moved away from that by a large margin in- oh - the last 5 years, 10 at most.

Latest Discussions