Grandmaster Tae Hong Choi

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just today met his son for the first time and found out GM Choi passed in March of this year.

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE
March 10, 2009

USA Taekwondo has been notified that Grandmaster Tae Hong Choi passed away early Sunday morning (March 8).

GM Choi moved to Portland in the early 70's and basically founded Taekwondo in Oregon, producing such champions as Scott Rohr and Naim Hasan who became the middleweight representative on the 1988 U.S. Olympic Taekwondo Team.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so, I never go into my lineage much if I can help it. Too many people have extremely inflated histories that it seems kind of pathetic to try to compete with them, but GM Tae Hong Choi was my master and promoted me through the ranks. Me, Mike Fowles, Leon Preston, Scott Rorh, and his son Hung Choi all tested together over the years. I was the Oregon State Coach for about 7 years years under him. He, like me, was a Marine in Viet Nam. We had a lot in common and I owe him so much that I can never, ever repay. His son Hong, the new Grand Master Choi, is doing on hell of a job continuing his fathers legacy. We just did the 1st Grand Masters Legacy Cup tournament and it was a hugh success. I look forward to many more in the future.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, so, I never go into my lineage much if I can help it. Too many people have extremely inflated histories that it seems kind of pathetic to try to compete with them, but GM Tae Hong Choi was my master and promoted me through the ranks. Me, Mike Fowles, Leon Preston, Scott Rorh, and his son Hung Choi all tested together over the years. I was the Oregon State Coach for about 7 years years under him. He, like me, was a Marine in Viet Nam. We had a lot in common and I owe him so much that I can never, ever repay. His son Hong, the new Grand Master Choi, is doing on hell of a job continuing his fathers legacy. We just did the 1st Grand Masters Legacy Cup tournament and it was a hugh success. I look forward to many more in the future.

Sorry for your loss, Wade.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

My condolences on your loss.:asian:

Latest Discussions