Grand Sumo July Tournament

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Anyone else watching it? We don't get the entire event, but NHK is airing all of the matches. While we miss most of the pageantry, it's fun to watch the matches. I think today is day 9 of the 15 day tournament.

GRAND SUMO Highlights - TV - NHK WORLD - English

I'm very new to watching sumo, so it's really interesting learning about the sport.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m a bit behind, but I’ll probably catch up this evening on the matches I haven’t seen yet. If you want to see most of the upper division matches with the full ritual pageantry, I recommend Jason’s All Sumo YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL556B0EVMUL2ITzB0dZ1yugBcB-A2SHGv
Awesome. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

Those guys are massive, except for Enho. He's been doing surprisingly well, as long as he keeps his hips back. I think he's 4 - 4 so far. We've also enjoyed watching Kotoshoho.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
From day 4, this is Enho vs Aoiyama... over 100kg difference in weight, not to mention height, length of arms, etc. I'm not at all surprised to learn that Enho is in the same stable as Hakuho. Even a lay person like me can see that they both have a lot of technique.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From day 4, this is Enho vs Aoiyama... over 100kg difference in weight, not to mention height, length of arms, etc. I'm not at all surprised to learn that Enho is in the same stable as Hakuho. Even a lay person like me can see that they both have a lot of technique.
Enho has been pretty popular recently, and I think a large part of that (besides his weight) is specifically because he's from the same stable as Hakuho.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sumo is a very unique martial art:
1. It's good to be fat - though by no mean necessary. Plenty of smaller guys have distinguished themselves.
2. A match is often over within seconds.
3. There are comparatively few techniques. So the execution of each is very important as is being in tune with the opponent, physically and spiritually.
4. It is one of the oldest martial arts still practiced with few changes.
5. Great ceremony and ritual before (even in the training stables) the match.
6. It is not based on traditional budo or Buddhism, but has a strong Shinto influence.
All in all, it is one of my favorite spectator sports.

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sumo is a very unique martial art:
1. It's good to be fat - though by no mean necessary. Plenty of smaller guys have distinguished themselves.
2. A match is often over within seconds.
3. There are comparatively few techniques. So the execution of each is very important as is being in tune with the opponent, physically and spiritually.
4. It is one of the oldest martial arts still practiced with few changes.
5. Great ceremony and ritual before (even in the training stables) the match.
All in all, it is one of my favorite spectator sports.
For sure. You can see a lot of fat dudes, but it seems that leg strength is critical. Every one of them has legs like tree trunks.

It seems like they really try to stay low, keep their hips back and fight either for or against grips (depending on whether they're pushing or throwing). I've some some slick trips and such. I don't know whether it's a lot of techniques, but so far I've seen a pretty good variety.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are comparatively few techniques

I don't know whether it's a lot of techniques, but so far I've seen a pretty good variety.

There are 82 officially recognized kimarite (winning techniques) in Sumo. That doesn't include techniques such as grip breaks, etc. which are used on the way to a victory.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are 82 officially recognized kimarite (winning techniques) in Sumo. That doesn't include techniques such as grip breaks, etc. which are used on the way to a victory.
I've looked into this before and don't really remember the answer, but how many of those are varieties on each other. Like is a throw with an underhanded grip on the mawashi considered the same as with an overhand grip, or is that two separate throws/kimarite? Also, are there some that are considered kimarite, but never used?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've looked into this before and don't really remember the answer, but how many of those are varieties on each other. Like is a throw with an underhanded grip on the mawashi considered the same as with an overhand grip, or is that two separate throws/kimarite? Also, are there some that are considered kimarite, but never used?
I would guess some are less common than others. There was a fisherman's throw the other day which I imagine one doesn't see all the time.

Video added. The action starts at about 3:05:

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're on-track with both points. Many of the techniques are variations. (I don't think overhand vs underhand grip is an enumerated variation, but inside vs outside grip is.) Also many of the techniques are rarely seen (not never, but certainly much rarer than others).

My sumo manual that lists all the kimarite seems to be hiding from me, but if I find it I'll provide some examples.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While I don't know the names of all of the techniques, I think I've seen at least a dozen different finishing techniques in this tournament so far, between the frontal or rear push outs, the pull downs, a few throws and several trips.

I don't know whether this list is comprehensive or not, but there are videos to show each technique for reference:

The Techniques of Sumo - GRAND SUMO Highlights - TV - NHK WORLD - English

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Day 10 matches were yesterday.

@Tony Dismukes I appreciate that youtube channel, but I wish he'd show more than 6 or so matches each day. I think NHK typically airs several more of the matches. I did notice that they post their Grand Sumo Highlights videos here: GRAND SUMO Highlights - TV - NHK WORLD - English

Hakuho is still undefeated in the tournament at 10-0, and it's amazing how dominant he is.

Edit: I found a site that has up to date results, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. I think in Japan, the tournament is on day 13 or day 14, so the local broadcasts are a few days behind.

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, day 14 was exciting. With Hakuho out with an injury, several people are in the running on the final day. Terunofuji was upset, but is still at 12-2, with 3 guys at 11-3.

Interestingly, terunofuji lost to what was essentially a single leg takedown off the start.

Latest Discussions