A

Autocrat

Actually, while I'm asking...
Any one else in the UK at all ??????
LOL

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm in the UK. But I wouldn't have the time or money to see the Gracies. I'm not a proficient enough ground fighter to make a seminar with them worth my time, especially as I'm not doing any ground training at the moment, so I wouldn't be able to drill anything I learned.

I once trained with a black belt BJJ guy in London for one Judo lesson. He was stunning. I had always thought of ground work as slow. He trains too far from where I live for me to make it work though. Pity. His fairly traditional stand up Judo technique was unstoppable as well.

OP
A

Autocrat

... SIN ...
All I know is that there is a seminar being held by one of the Gracies about self defence and that sort of thing, and they will be instructing and training with those present. My sensei has bought a ticket for me and told me I'm going as I bought a Gracie DVD to help pick up some new ground techniques! Now he thinks I'm a GRacie fan... (their OK, but I much prefer hitting to throwing! LOL UG! Me BASH U!!! LOL)

... BOD ...
Why not try Aikido or Jiu Jitsu.... all in the same family as judo... all include getting past guards, throws, takedowns, locks, holds and grappling - both Up and Down!
(infact, alot of your Judo would be there already.. things like Ogoshi etc.)
Alternatively, see if you can find a wrestling club or traditional Karate like GoJu or that... some of them have a healthy syllibus for grappling and throws too.

OP
A

Autocrat

Well, I went!

All I can say is, for the money it cost, and the hassle of travelling,I don't recomend it.... but saying that, for the fun and techniques, yeah, I might do it again!

Roycew was not as I pictured... kid of hopin he would be arrogant, smarmy or pushy.... instead he was a geniunely pleasant, polite bloke, with a selfconscious smile and a good sense of humour! Shame, I was looking forward to bitching, and can't now... I quite liked him!
LOL
Still, I got the T-shirt (literally!), and had some fun.... thou I will say that most of those that attended were rude and arrogant, yet a few were really friendly and willing to train with strangers from other styles!
It wasn't much of a defence course, it was more a mixture of different techniques from GJJ, but I enjoyed it!
Has anybody else noticed that when grappling, longer people have the advantage?

Latest Discussions