Got promoted.... head spinning

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How many belts are there, in total, to get to shodan?

in this flavor of karatedo... 10 kyu ranks.

White
Wh2
Wh3
Wh4
Yellow
Orange
Green
Blue
Brown
Brown2
Shodan
Nidan
etc.

counting down to shodan, then up the dan degrees. 18 grades in total. Not counting titles that can be earned. like Renshi or Shihan.

Maybe in 30 years i might hit 8th dan. But i would have to pretty much stay in this org.

I might want to switch to Uechi Ryu in Portland down the way, and find my way back to a judo or bjj hall for the remainder of the of those last 30.

getiing a purple or brown in bjj is on my bucket list.
i dont need a bb tho. thats overkill.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yon kyu is 4th kyu.

As to why he seemingly did more than everyone else (going by what he wrote), I took it as he was the only one being tested.

No, 8 others were tested
4 of 8 students passed.

i was the only orange belt (Go Kyu) tested.
The others were promoted from 10th / Ju Kyu [white belt 1] to 9th / Ku Kyu [2nd white]

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh another thing about doing more than others. I get that at work as well, where my supervisors expectations are higher for me than for others who were there years before me. I do a lot more work than my co-workers and I can't tell if they are grooming me for something bigger, taking advantage of me, or setting me up to fail.

My entire attitude about it, is that I do the work, do my best, and get the job done to the best of my ability. Because at the end of the day I tackled the challenge and contributed. When I look at the team that I'm on, those co-workers do the same, they put the work in and don't slack off.

I bring this up because this is what I see in this statement "But 6 belts in 4.5 years means i am ahead of schedule... and in light of that, I am going to redouble my efforts."

I'm curious to know if the classmates that @TSDTexan talks to the most puts in hard work too, or does he talk mostly to the slacker crowd. Sometimes you can gauge your standing by looking at who you talk to the most and who you get paired with during class.

Most of the time my partner work is with a brownbelt who is a very hardworking 18 year old whos also pretty sharp.... and a BB who is my age and is very hard working. I am trying my best to catch up and overtake the 18 year old who is two belts ahead.

There are not many laidback slacker types at this school. the body is small, but attendance and efforts on everyone'spart is high. And the head teacher puts us all through the paces.
i think i lose a gallon of sweat each class. and i am not the only one.

i have been pushed so hard at times where I am feeling the temptation to just quit karate.... and I tell myself... just ten more seconds. and push harder.

at the end of those classes... my body feels so amazing. I am completely relaxed and peacefully energized.... sometimes limping... but on top of the world. Old mans karate... I used to be a karatekid
but nowadays... i am just the dude.

Flow state dude.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions