Got a delivery date

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, sort of. I got an email from Nissan today. Looks like I'm scheduled to receive my Nissan Leaf in May. I'm very nervous about this. I'm all for alternative fuels. Very intersted in energy independence. But this isn't like buying a Droid X on launch day.

I'm hoping that Nissan's got their act together, or this could be a huge mistake! But the idea of virtually eliminating my consumption of gasoline, and cutting my overall commuting costs down to about 1/3rd of what I pay now is pretty appealing.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations! What exactly does it burn?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume it will be one of the ones made in America? they make them up the road from me as well, if it had been from here I would have run up and put a little card in it's window to say hi!
The company has done a lot for jobs here in a very socially deprived area so hopefully the Leaf will be a success though it's very pricey here.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Congratulations! What exactly does it burn?
Electricity, Flea. :)

I'm active on MyNissanLeaf.com and have seen the articles. It's one of those things where people need to understand what they're buying. Honestly, most people who are bleeding edge, early adopters in the EV market are going to be fairly realistic. The EPA 73 mile range seems to be pretty realistic, but I'd be foolish to say that I'm counting on running it right up to zero. I anticipate driving no more than about 45 miles per day in the EV, particularly until I'm confident in how far it will ACTUALLY take me.

It's electric, so it burns coal. ;)
LOL. Pure, AMERICAN coal. :D

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL. Pure, AMERICAN coal. :D

:)

http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/state/state_energy_profiles.cfm?sid=WA

Typically accounting for close to three-fourths of State electricity generation, hydroelectric power dominates the electricity market in Washington. Coal-fired, natural gas-fired, and nuclear power plants account for roughly equal shares of the remaining generation.

According to Wikipedia, 9% of Washington's electricity generation comes from the remaining nuclear power plant in Richland. Of course, your locale's energy may not be have the same ratios as the state as a whole.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
:)

http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/state/state_energy_profiles.cfm?sid=WA

According to Wikipedia, 9% of Washington's electricity generation comes from the remaining nuclear power plant in Richland. Of course, your locale's energy may not be have the same ratios as the state as a whole.
:) I have said many times that electricity is not even MOSTLY produced by coal. It's like 45% or so coal, and the rest is from other sources.

But I also like to point out that the coal we do burn for electricity in America is 100% mined IN America. My primary motivations for looking at an EV are economic and energy independence. :D

Latest Discussions