Good dojos in Tokyo area

S

Shadow Hunter

After a few months doing things I can't talk about, I am now in Tokyo, Japan. I will be here for a few months. The problem is that I am always on alert. At any time, day or night, I can be no more than 6 hours away from the airport here. Obviously, I can't do a lot of travelling.

Is there any good, realistic dojos in the area? I have stopped by a few and have been disapointed.

Any info anyone can provide will be appreciated.

:asian:

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Well, let us not talk about my work. It really does not matter.

What I want is an art that is combat effective, does not take ten years to get some use out of and does not treat round eyes like trained monkeys. It would be nice if it is an art you can hardly find outside of Japan.

Here are some experiences I have had so far.

In Tokyo I met up with an aikido teacher who wore gloves during the entire session because he was afraid of HIV from his non-Japanese students. He was also one of the guys that dance on the mat instead of fight.

In Yokohama I met a guy teaching Shorinji-ryu Karate who bad mouthed Koreans and when I took offense and challenged him to step out onto the mat, he became very scared. Rather than face me, he got down on his hands and knees and kissed my feet as I demanded.

On the outskirts of Tokyo I observed a ninjutsu class where there were more guys from Spain than Japan. The teacher leading the class would only show things and would not bother to correct any of the Spainish students. Worse, there were several Spainards running around acting like teachers and teaching things that even I could tell were not what the Japanese teacher was doing.

In Chiba I just saw a demo of the Katori Shinto ryu. Ten people took part, 4 of them non-Japanese. They were pretty much treated like trained monkeys. I watched a female doing rokushakubo against another round eye with a sword and they could not even get the distance right. The attacks came either from outside where they could hit, or they had to be stopped short because she was unable to deal with them. Again, the Japanese teacher didn't seem to care enough to correct his students.

So what kind of classes are there that fit my needs?

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I, too, spent the last few months doing things I cannot talk about. Don't ask me about it, because it's secret, and I really had better not tell you about it. I mean, it's not like I was doing really cool super-secret agent operative stuff, because I wasn't as far as you know, and you shouldn't ask me about it. I know there are some people out there who might imply they've been off doing super-secret stuff, because it sounds cool, but I wasn't and I'm not, so don't ask. No, seriously, it's better if we avoid the topic of the work I can't talk about. Don't bring it up. Secret agents aren't allowed to talk about their work. I know you'd think they're cool, and all, but they wouldn't be allowed to tell you about it, so you shouldn't ask them, and of course you shouldn't ask me.

That's why I don't bring these things up.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Originally posted by Shadow Hunter
Well, let us not talk about my work. It really does not matter.

What I want is an art that is combat effective, does not take ten years to get some use out of and does not treat round eyes like trained monkeys. It would be nice if it is an art you can hardly find outside of Japan.

Here are some experiences I have had so far.

In Tokyo I met up with an aikido teacher who wore gloves during the entire session because he was afraid of HIV from his non-Japanese students. He was also one of the guys that dance on the mat instead of fight.

In Yokohama I met a guy teaching Shorinji-ryu Karate who bad mouthed Koreans and when I took offense and challenged him to step out onto the mat, he became very scared. Rather than face me, he got down on his hands and knees and kissed my feet as I demanded.

On the outskirts of Tokyo I observed a ninjutsu class where there were more guys from Spain than Japan. The teacher leading the class would only show things and would not bother to correct any of the Spainish students. Worse, there were several Spainards running around acting like teachers and teaching things that even I could tell were not what the Japanese teacher was doing.

In Chiba I just saw a demo of the Katori Shinto ryu. Ten people took part, 4 of them non-Japanese. They were pretty much treated like trained monkeys. I watched a female doing rokushakubo against another round eye with a sword and they could not even get the distance right. The attacks came either from outside where they could hit, or they had to be stopped short because she was unable to deal with them. Again, the Japanese teacher didn't seem to care enough to correct his students.

So what kind of classes are there that fit my needs?

None.

Make your own style, you're a master in your own mind and you know everyone else's mistakes, even though you aren't a member of their school or experienced in their style. :D

OP
S

Shiatsu

This guy is full of crap. I have a top secret clearance and I am in the military, I work for the OSI of the Air Force, and believe me, he can post what he is doing there, with exception to certain things.

This guy kills me:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
W

whackjob-san

This is one of the freakin' funniest topics I've ever read!!!:rofl:

OP
S

superdave

Maybe Shadow Hunter is really Steven Segal, or perhaps he is Ashida Kim, on a top secret mission to steal Trix for that damned rabbit!

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you're interested in gyms in Tokyo, there are plenty. If you don't like traditional, non-competitive stuff, then pick up a copy of any fight magazine. A japanese friend can show you the dojo directory section and translate some addresses for you. You can find plenty of shooto/paraestra, shootboxing, judo, and bare-knuckles karate places (not to mention plenty of boxing and kickboxing) gyms where you'll find pro fighters and coaches willing to teach you and even spar with you.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shadow Hunter said:
After a few months doing things I can't talk about, I am now in Tokyo, Japan. I will be here for a few months. The problem is that I am always on alert. At any time, day or night, I can be no more than 6 hours away from the airport here. Obviously, I can't do a lot of travelling.

Is there any good, realistic dojos in the area? I have stopped by a few and have been disapointed.

Any info anyone can provide will be appreciated.

:asian:

You can stop by my dojo anytime......send me an email and I will give you directions.

Latest Discussions