Golok questions

Discussion in 'Indochinese Martial Arts - General' started by Chrisoro, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Chrisoro

Chrisoro Blue Belt

I'm wondering wether or not to buy a Condor Golok Machete, as I know Condor to make quality knives, and I like the look of it. I't supposedly a quite thick blade for a machete, and I know Condor uses good steel in their products, so I don't really see any reasons not to buy it for the price.
    [​IMG]

However, I'm wondering how closely it resembles actual, historical Golok swords. Anyone who knows?

Also, is there any kind of good instructional material available on DVD for handling the Golok?

2. elder999

elder999 El Oso de Dios!

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    "Golok" is a pretty generic Indonesian term when it comes to historicity-it's also used in Malaysia and the Philippines-it is applied to a few sizes and shapes, kinda like parang-with that said, sure, it looks like a golok........I'd bet there's some pentjak silat instructional video for the Golok somewhere.......

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

I have a lot of golok's. All different sizes with a few different shapes. I also have the condor golok above. It is a true working golok that I use camping, etc. Not exactly what I would like for fighting but it really serves it purpose as a working man's golok! (not that it would be bad for fighting mind you) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chrisoro

Chrisoro Blue Belt

Care to elaborate as to why this is? :)

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

It is a little heavier than I would like. I have a number of goloks and the ones I would prefer for fighting are a bit lighter. This one is great for bush work, camping, etc. Still would work for personal protection in a pinch but.... it is better utilized for bush work!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Reedone816

Reedone816 Blue Belt

If I may say something, from my senior who is a weapon forger himself.
    Golok as weapon, in Silat Betawi, has lenght depends on the user, it is satu jengkal plus three finger length for the blade not including the handle.
    Satu jengkal is a local measurement between the maximum extent of a spreaded finger from the tip of thumb to the tip of pinky finger.
    Why this length, is because so it will be nimble and can slip inside our arm pit.
    The second thing is that the weight is balanced between the handle weight and the blade weight.
    This is because for the nimbleness, since the way we hold golok is not like we grip stick, holding golok is only in two points, The thumb and index finger as the base and the pinky finger as the controller.