Goju Kai

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
As I learned it, it was a series of techniques done in a repetitive manner. First a lunge punch on the right; back to a natural stance, repeat on the left. Back to a natural stance, another technique on each side. And so on, through ten or so techniques. It hardly deserved to be called a kata. It was more like a training exercise.
The one you are describing is from Shotokan . This is an exercise , which I believe to be of designed by Gichin Funakoshi Sensei . It appears in his book , Karate Do Kyohan , I believe .

Gene Williams

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep. They call it Ten No kata omote. The Ten No I am familiar is like Fukyugata Sho from Shorin. We use the Fukyugata as beginner kata in Shito ryu. I've been in karate for 35 years and I still do them every workout. I'm not bored.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
okinawagojuryu said:
Hakaku , from what I remember is not a Goju Kata , but a crane kata . It may be something extra your instructor taught you , as it is not part of the base system . I'd love to see it though , do you have any footage of it ?
Whoa.. I don't have picture of myself or my teacher doing Hakaku. We're not even sure whether we're doing it right or not, because he picked it up so long ago when Shito-ryu of Hayashi-ha were still famous in my country. Now it's kind of inactive. This Hakaku is pretty much like sanchin but the stance is neko ashi not sanchin, and the hands are open. Ever seen that one?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gene Williams said:
Look it up, or ask someone in a Japanese art what it means.
I'm not that interested. I studied the system 20 years ago. I no longer study Karate.

Your comments are condescending.

Latest Discussions