Go Kan Ryu ?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a site where they are defending claims about them, this particular page tries to defend poorly qualified instructors.

http://www.gkrkaratescam.com/instructors.html

I think it is trying to defend the practice of using non black belt instructors wearing black belts. That was one of the things that I find wrong. If the guy is a green belt he wears a green belt. Simple. No black belts, white stripe or otherwise.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting web address for someone trying to defend the system...

I have issues with the assertions in the article.

You don’t need to be a master to teach beginners
Tradesmen often ask an experienced apprentice to teach a new apprentice the basics, just as high school students are very rarely taught by professors. How often does Stephen Hawking teach a school physics class, or Seb Coe teach a school gym class?

High school students aren't going to be taught by professors for the most part. They're taught by people who have a bachelor's or master's degree, and underwent certifications. Either way, they're not being taught by other high school students, unless it's in a peer tutoring session. Even then, the tutoring session will be conducted by a student who is significantly more advanced than the one being tutored.

The teachers of a high school are still going to have a significantly greater degree of mastery of the subject being taught, than your average high school student, assuming that you don't have some amazing prodigy on your hands as a teacher. After all, we can't all have dojo's stocked full of Jigoro Kano types...

Personality is more important for an instructor than knowledge
Don’t get me wrong, knowledge is vital. However it is not knowledge or even martial ability that; excites, motivates, disciplines, builds character, or develops loyalty in students. Those are a matter of personality and teaching skill. I have met many martial arts instructors from other styles who have high grades and often impressive martial ability, but are poor instructors or worse; terrible human beings. In the martial arts industry it is well known “students start for the karate but they stay for the instructor”. Our instructors are selected for their personalities and their enthusiasm and commitment to karate, so you and your family can be assured of the most motivating and encouraging karate experience.

I agree that much of the teaching is dependent on its presentation. After all, serving someone a perfectly cooked filet mignon steak on a dirty ash tray is probably not too productive. However, the instructor at hand must still have at least a decent modicum of knowledge, or else it simply becomes an enthusiastic person teaching poor techniques. If anything, I frown upon such "instructors," since their students are more likely to get hurt in some way shape or form.

In that case, you end up developing students who have awful fundamentals, and having them unlearn such fundamentals takes a lot of time...

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting web address for someone trying to defend the system...

I have issues with the assertions in the article.

High school students aren't going to be taught by professors for the most part. They're taught by people who have a bachelor's or master's degree, and underwent certifications. Either way, they're not being taught by other high school students, unless it's in a peer tutoring session. Even then, the tutoring session will be conducted by a student who is significantly more advanced than the one being tutored.

The teachers of a high school are still going to have a significantly greater degree of mastery of the subject being taught, than your average high school student, assuming that you don't have some amazing prodigy on your hands as a teacher. After all, we can't all have dojo's stocked full of Jigoro Kano types...

I agree that much of the teaching is dependent on its presentation. After all, serving someone a perfectly cooked filet mignon steak on a dirty ash tray is probably not too productive. However, the instructor at hand must still have at least a decent modicum of knowledge, or else it simply becomes an enthusiastic person teaching poor techniques. If anything, I frown upon such "instructors," since their students are more likely to get hurt in some way shape or form.

In that case, you end up developing students who have awful fundamentals, and having them unlearn such fundamentals takes a lot of time...

This is me agreeing to everything you just said.

realkarateninja2

White Belt
Reaction score
i use to train under gkr 5 years ago but there technique was horrible and getting teach by a sensei that wear a black and white belt and knowing they not great in there karate.. the door to door sale work by commission and more or less trying to scam people on signing up to a karate style that doesnt do a thing in real life i was just a orange belt than and i quite that style when i moved away from that area and join up with Wado Kai or Wado Ryu style enjoying more contact sparring and i do compete from time to time recently graded to my green belt and we allow to do take down unlike gkr and always teach bye a 1st kyu or a black belt never tough bye a lower grade unless we are practicing our grading kata together

Latest Discussions