"GM" Leung Ting - A big Fake?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He still produces quality Instructors,heck just visit one of his schools

I have and wasn't impressed. But like I said, one school should not represent his federation as a whole, which is why my complaint is really with the man himself

I have seen a few clips on youtube of WT guys who looked okay, but that is not my general experience in the UK

Sorry to be so up front, but you will always get a direct and honest response from me

In contrast, I have never met a bad instructor from Alan Orr's school or my own glorious Kamon (if there was a bad instructor, we would help him and make sure he was good!)

I think the trouble is, the bigger an organisation gets, the more it gets watered down if the top guys don't make regular visits to the classes

Indeed, even with Kamon, we know our limits. We have several senior students who Kevin Chan could promote to be an instructor (they are that level), but likes to make sure that instructors have the whole package (ie they are approachable, experienced, skilled fighters and knowledgable)

Too many federations (such as WT) promote their instructors as soon as they reach a certain grade

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Too many federations (such as WT) promote their instructors as soon as they reach a certain grade

Sure. Great idea. Promote 'em, push 'em into teaching, then hold back instruction and higher rank unless they recruit like crazy and open another branch school for you. And of course you collect all the new membership and testing fees, sell a zillion of your uniforms and products... a great way to make a fortune.

The real irony here is that the head sifu in question really cares about the quality of what he teaches. All of his early students can attest to that. Sadly, it's just that he cares about money more.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure. Great idea. Promote 'em, push 'em into teaching, then hold back instruction and higher rank unless they recruit like crazy and open another branch school for you. And of course you collect all the new membership and testing fees, sell a zillion of your uniforms and products... a great way to make a fortune.

The real irony here is that the head sifu in question really cares about the quality of what he teaches. All of his early students can attest to that. Sadly, it's just that he cares about money more.

That tends to be the way with big organisations. I once thought Kevin Chan was like that (he used to increase fees etc), but found that he is a very generous person and really wants to improve his students

Of course he likes making money, as do most people but I think the difference between Kevin Chan and Leung Ting is that he won't promote students to instructors just to make money

I would clarify (I've mentioned it before) that I have seen WT stuff that has impressed me and one or two of his instructors that I used to teach and swap ideas with really came up with some good stuff. But a lot of the fundamental stuff they were taught was just bad

My advice to WT guys is get to a Kamon class and see the difference for yourselves. If you do and don't like it, then at least you have seen it for yourselves and make that decision
But don't be so closed in that you get brainwashed by one style
It is one thing to enjoy a style and like the training and another thing to claim that is the best fighting system out there

Latest Discussions