Gina Carano!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Gina is still undefeated by tapping out (her very 1st submission) Tonya Evinger tonight. Tonya said she would rather make out with Gina than fight her. She said she used to beat up boys and out wrestled them in school. She said no girl has ever rocked her. She was bigger and stronger than Gina but............Oh Well!

WELL DONE GINA!!!!!!!!!!! :partyon:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the third time though Gina hadn't made the weight for the weigh in. she was reported to have been looking very weak at her weigh in and was still over. For her fight with Rosi Sexton she was well over but Rosi wasn't given the option of saying she wouldn't fight as she then would have had no purse or expenses leaving her well out of pocket as she'd flown to America for the fight. Gina needs to get this sorted as she's considered the most unprofessional of the female fighters.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No sour grapes by the vanquished or friends of the vanquished. She's 4 and 0, don't like it? Beat her! It's that simple. This is the fight game, no whining, just get in there and do it! That said, Having nearly passed out at the weigh in, I agree she should fight at a higher weight. Having to cut weight constantly is dangerous and very unhealthy in the long run.

As to Unprofessional......well I disagree completely. Gina works as hard as any other fighter out there. Her trainers, especially her current one, would not allow any slacking off or unprofessional attempts.

Her skills are legit, I've been following her, and she IS improving. Only hard work will do that.

In all honesty if a fighter is over then the fight is cancelled. If the fight happened, then both made weight. The commissions won't allow what you are accusing. Now fight day....that's something different. After weight is made, it's very common to see that fighter come in heavier, having replaced the water weight lost and eating like a horse.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty if a fighter is over then the fight is cancelled. If the fight happened, then both made weight. The commissions won't allow what you are accusing. Now fight day....that's something different. After weight is made, it's very common to see that fighter come in heavier, having replaced the water weight lost and eating like a horse.

It's public knowledge that she weighed in at 141.1 for a 140 event. There's a 1 pound allowance, and they explained the final tenth of a pound as the weight of her clothing.

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty if a fighter is over then the fight is cancelled. If the fight happened, then both made weight. The commissions won't allow what you are accusing.

Not true.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK Ok Excuuuuuuuuse me! If we're going to get down to a lousy pound or so for a lousy argument on the part of all of you, I'm sorry for not being truly accurate in my wording. There is an allowance in all weights of being over to some degree. I'm sure a lousy pound falls in that range. It's not like she was ten pounds over. For weights that are really over the fight will not be allowed by the commissions. Besides there were options for the "aggrieved" parties to opt out, excuses or not. They didn't. They fought, They lost! End of arguments. Fair fights, girl to girl, fist to fist etc.. At least have respect for that.

This arguing is pointless! Again, As someone with a no BS attitude and mindset, I say, if you don't like Gina as a fighter--So be it. Don't whine with triffling little excuses. She goes in and "woman's up" with all comers and has beaten all comers thus far. She is legit! Again, don't like it? Woman up and face her!

The fighters don't make excuses! So don't do it on their behalf. It's the fight game! Put up or shut up. Do or don't.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sour grapes? No, I've been around the fight game too long to be naive enough to believe that things aren't 'sorted' by promoters. Weigh-ins are commonly arranged to suit. It was a pound this time but has been a lot more before. However this fight was a catchweight (no weight allowance) at 140 not 141lb, this was scheduled to be at 135lbs but Gina couldn't make the weight. She has never fought under 140lbs.
Her opponents weights were:-
Letitia Pestrova 120
Rosi Sexton 125
Julie Kedzie 135
Tonya Evevinger 135

I'm not getting at her for getting in and fighting, it's her mangement that are to blame here, For her health as much as anything she should be fighting at a higher weight. Would I fight her? Damn right I would, at catchweight as I'm heavier.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't whine with triffling little excuses. She goes in and "woman's up" with all comers and has beaten all comers thus far. She is legit! Again, don't like it? Woman up and face her!

The fighters don't make excuses! So don't do it on their behalf. It's the fight game! Put up or shut up. Do or don't.

Nobody's making any argument, certainly not one to justify your attitude.

We're not here to trash talk anybody, certainly not a professional fighter for whom heart is always going to be the most important attribute. They all get respect from me.

What weight a fighter fights at, its health affects, and the impact on their performance and career longevity are valid topics. And ones I think need more scrutiny.

But if you want this to just be a "Wow, she's so great!" sort of thread, we can do that too. I suggest the Maxim picture of Gina as a good addition to such a thread, as it's certainly an attractive picture. But it'd be terrible if that's the best thread we could come up with.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, I agree with her fighting at a higher weight. I already said that above. I don't think anyone should have to cut weight to make a fight, if they're already in shape. It's definitely not healthy for anyone to do that, and very dangerous.

Next, could, would, should with a damb right too! I admire the attitude! How about going in and Doing it? I look forward to seeing the match.

3rd. All fights can be opted out of. Bottom line all of your friends or the people named went in and fought! Irregardless of excuses, and for that I admire all of them. Also, none of them made excuses after. Don't anyone here do it for them. Again this is the fighting forum. If you do it, you do it with no excuses.

Which goes to you Rutherford. This was not a "she's great thread". It was a congratulatory thread to a fellow fighter, as others get on here. As for the Maxim thing, I strongly detest that! It takes away from all those who are fighting against that battle, and trying to be taken seriously. That crap has no place in these forums IMHO. It saddens me that she did that.
If anyone wanted to detract anything about Mrs. Carano or her abilities as being unprofessional or whatever other triffling arguments virtual fighters want to make behind a screen..could've been done on another thread.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Handsword, how involved in the MMA world are you? Are you a fighter or a promoter or a coach? You have totally missed the point of my posts, I'm not making excuses for the other fighters, I'm pointing out that while Gina has got the guts to get in and fight she is doing herself no favours by this constant not making weight. The other fighters to be honest have signed contracts which they sign in good faith assuming that both sides will make the weight agreed. To break that contract is costly and damaging and the girls are game.
Virtual fighter? I don't insult your martial arts please don't insult mine. If you want to make this personal go ahead but I shan't be here arguing with you. If you can't look at things fairly I'll find a forum where they can.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fighters don't make excuses! So don't do it on their behalf. It's the fight game!

Fighters are not just fighters, they are performers, and employees.

They are judged on more then their ability to fight, but also their professionalism, conduct and ability to put on a show.

A fighter that is unable to make the weight they agreed to fight at has broken their contract. It's unfair to the other fighter and the promoters, regardless of how good a fighter is in the ring they need to remain professional. If she cannot make the weight she wants to fight at, she needs to move up a weight class.

I really don't see the point in getting overly defensive here, she is a performer. She will have fans, and people that dislike her, it's part of the game. When Tito was on top of the LHW class in the UFC there where a lot of people that said negative things about him, it was part of his job.

If you want to become a professional athlete you got to be ready for people to say negative things about you. If she cannot make weight consistently, fans will pick up on that. She can either move up, or suck it up and take the internet beatings and hope promoters don't get to annoyed with her that they stop giving her fights.

But professional athletes are performers, they put on a show, and they will be criticized by the masses, it's part of there job.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were having a fighter fight against her I would advise a clause that say's she has to make weight. If she fails then she forefits 25% of her purse immediately to her opponent. Fixes the problem easily. (money talks) Nor would I have a fighter fight her without that clause.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In North America there must be hundreds if not actually thousands of male MMA fighters, in geographical Europe the same is true but if you take both areas together when counting female fighters there are literally only a handful. This makes it an uphill struggle to promote women's fights, to persuade promoters to take female fights and to market the female fighters we do have.

MMA is a big business now growing outside America at a tremendous rate, more promotions are turning up every day, someof course will fall by the wayside when they realise it's not easy money but a good many will stay and to have womens fights accepted as part and parcel of these shows we need to do several things.

We need to show that female fighters are up for fighting and don't demand special privileges. We have to show that we can entertain the audience with skill and aggression. I've seen a good amny, actually far too many male fights that were poor, boring and really were a waste of time but because they were male no one said anything. Every female fight has to be that bit better because if not people will say "oh women can't fight" Very unfair but women will tell you that's how it is in many jobs.
The promoting of female fighters has to be seen as more than "oh she's a babe!" Male fighters aren't judged on their looks so why should females? How many male watchers of female fights can honestly say they didn't think first about how the fighter looked?

I have made no excuses for any fighter nor have I slagged Gina off. The latest is that she is blaming her period for being overweight. this again will give rise to more reasons why women should not fight.

http://mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=1130643&FID=1&pc=68

Have a read and see what we have to put up with. How the hell can we ever be taken seriously as fighters when this happens?
of course Gina has guts for getting in there and fighting but can you honsetly say that if she were a man things wouldn't have been different?

I agree with binding contracts but the problem is that with so few female fighters it's hard to refuse a fight when offered and to be honest promoters of female fighters tend to try to get any fights they can. If they turn one down that could be it literally for years. I know of only two other females that could fight Gina, both from Europe. We face the women fighting each other half a dozen times with no new fighters coming in. that serves no one any good.I have a felame semi pro that has only fought once in two years because there is no once else her weight. The girl she fought is still looking for fights and has been doing grappling in the meantime, she did well in Turkey in the Worlds but she wants MMA fights. We can't affird to travel all across Europe and America to fight. the money simply isn't there for female fighters and won't be until we get more female fights. Catch 22.
Perhaps you will see my concerns as more than just making excuses for fighters who lost to Gina which I wasn't, we are working our socks off to present female fighters as being up to the job, as equal to the men. Gina's management are promoting her as a 'babe' and breaking all the rules of professionalism. This does immense harm except to them of course, they make the money.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, actually, this IS how my wife chooses which fighter she will cheer for...

That's fine because whichever fighter she chooses will still be taken seriously by men. How would she feel though if she were chosen for a job/career by her looks? "well miss, I'm afraid you can't be taken seriously as a teacher/nurse/doctor/police officer etc etc because we don't think you're good looking enough"

Latest Discussions