Gi to Jacket

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Living in a colder climate, I find myself wearing a jacket outdoors for at least 50% of the year (usually more). I've experimented a little and found that many of the techniques that I practice in jujutsu transfer well to a jacket. Thus, it makes using a gi very practical, IMHO.

Therefore, should we practice with a gi on just as much as we practice with it off?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think any art that practices grappling needs to train for what is likely to be encountered. Such apparel as jackets, scarves, suit jackets, and/or parkas all create different nuances to even the most basic technique. I think it would be sensible and advantageous to have classes devoted to such things.

C

CrankyDragon

In our BJJ school, about half the year is gi the other half is no-gi. I dont understand how you could train any other way IMHO.

Andrew

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess if you want to be well-rounded you would train both. If you are just doing it for fun then you'll probably pick the one you like best.

Personally, I like both so I do both. I don't really train for self-defence so the fact that grappling with a gi may replicate some real clothing situations isn't a deciding factor. I like training with the gi because it is a real thinking game...more like chess. I like no-gi because it is more dynamic...more like checkers.

Neither is better or "more fun". That would be like saying Monopoly is 'more fun' than Scrabble. For some maybe - but it isn't gospel. What gets me confused is a lot of people out there decry gi training without ever actually having trained it. Being narrow-minded makes for narrow practice.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You need to practice both. Some times it's T-shirt weather, and some times it's parka weather.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Living in a colder climate, I find myself wearing a jacket outdoors for at least 50% of the year (usually more). I've experimented a little and found that many of the techniques that I practice in jujutsu transfer well to a jacket. Thus, it makes using a gi very practical, IMHO.

Therefore, should we practice with a gi on just as much as we practice with it off?

IMO, to get the most out of the training and to be as well rounded as you can, I think training with and without are good. Depending on what the person is wearing, some slight modifications to your technique may have to be done.

Mike