Getting better

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, im obssessed and alwaqys have been on getting better, at MA. I fought a guy last friday, he kicked me butt, he had 10 years of tkd behind him, i've had almost 2. He was so quick, and STRONG!!! How, how do i get faster, everyone tells me i move like a cat, im quick blah blah blah, i kick infront of mirrors and i seem to be slow, i want to get quicker, anyone have any ideas on getting legg speed?

sorry i make the same thread twice, but i'd like to get the right answer *no offence lol*

Laborn

T

TKDKid

FearlessFreep said:
Well, to start with...take off that long brown coat. I don't think Jawas kick too well in those...
LOL...

Part of being quick is being able to read your opponent's movements and thinking quick enough to react to them. But with only 2 years it will still take some time before you'll be able to do that. Don't be disappointed that you got beat by a guy that's practiced for ten years. I remember one time I fought at a small local tournament. I was the only orange belt there, and there were no other intermediate level fighters in my age division (18-25 or whatever) so I had to either fight white belts or red belts. Ofcourse, I fought the red belts...and lost horribly, but I was complimented many times on the one point that I did score, and told how much potential I had. Skill comes in time.

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Ok, im obssessed and alwaqys have been on getting better, at MA. I fought a guy last friday, he kicked me butt, he had 10 years of tkd behind him, i've had almost 2. He was so quick, and STRONG!!! How, how do i get faster, everyone tells me i move like a cat, im quick blah blah blah, i kick infront of mirrors and i seem to be slow, i want to get quicker, anyone have any ideas on getting legg speed?

sorry i make the same thread twice, but i'd like to get the right answer *no offence lol*

Laborn
to get your kicks faster, the best thing you can do is to - kick faster. The speed will come. Try hitting a heavy bag.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two years, well you should be about half way there to a black belt--a "candidate" is when you go to the last belt before testing for recommended or deputy black.

Until then, do alot of kicks. Front leg-front kick, do 50-100 without stopping on one leg. Then do the same for round, side, and axe, then crescent, inside and out. On other days, do sprints, like how many kicks can you do in a timed minute. Rest for one minute and do 3-5 sets of these. These BTW are all to your belt level. Enjoy! TW

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Constantly refine your technique. You are kicking in front of mirrors and that is very good. Watch your kicks or video them. Then analyze them to see if you have any wasted motion. Once you get rid of any wasted time or "clutter" your kicks will be much faster. Be patient.

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yeah mom has taped a few of my sparring matches, i am pretty fast, but i'd like to be faster, im already the fastest kicker in my class, i kick faster then the black belts, but my point is, i want to be faster

Laborn, ty btw all of you

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How fast your legs move might not be as important as you think.

Strategy and timing are also very important, and are what lets old slow guys whoop young fast guys buts ;)

But that said, maybe you could give some resistance bands a try.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKDKid said:
LOL...

Part of being quick is being able to read your opponent's movements and thinking quick enough to react to them. But with only 2 years it will still take some time before you'll be able to do that.

Even then, there's a lot to be said for developing a gameplan and working strategy like Andrew noted. You're not always being read or outspeeded when you get beaten to the punch. Can't really get very far relying purely on reaction.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aside from all the good information that's already been given, if you want a specific exercise that will help with your kicks and overall conditioning, I would suggest that you practice kick with tension bands. Either surgical rubber bands or even bungee cords. The resistance will strengthen and elongate. Moderation is a key point here when using these bands. Start out with about 5 for each leg and each kick and work your way up to around 20. That dosen't mean that you have to do those 20 in a weeks time. Listen to your body and don't push it. The body has to have time to adjust to the new training. Hope this helps.....:asian:

T

TKDKid

Marginal said:
Even then, there's a lot to be said for developing a gameplan and working strategy like Andrew noted. You're not always being read or outspeeded when you get beaten to the punch. Can't really get very far relying purely on reaction.
This is true.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you are the fastest kicker in your school, faster then the black belts, then you don't need to kick faster, you need to kick smarter. You could be the fastest person in the world, but if there is enough distance between us, and I have good footwork to maintain that distance, you are not going to score on me.

I recommend working on the timing of the kicks instead of the speed of the kicks. Work with other people and have them tell you if you are giving off big signals for when you attack. Things like how/when you shift your weight, how you turn your hips, what you do with your hands, what you base foot does, in what situations you tend to throw certain kicks. These things don't "slow you down", but they give the other person more time to react and counter. If you can eliminate "signs", know WHEN to kicks, and elimiate any flaws in technique that do slow you down your kicks will really improve. It won't make you faster, but you will appear to kick faster because nobody will have time to react to you.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember being in the same place.

Read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee.

It really helped me to re-evaluate my methods of sparring and training.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it's been 6 months and you're probably approaching BB. Have you learned that timing beats speed yet? :)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
People tend to fall in a rhythm; it's the timing of the other person's rhythm that you need to exploit. When they move, there is ap point of time in which their weight is balanced such that they cannot strike or change direction. When they strike, there are points in the attack where they are open to counter attack. Learning to work against our opponents timing is critical. Doesn't matter how fast you can kick if your opponent can work against your timing (so it's importat to do things to change yours up so it's harder for them to use it against you)

ashkin

White Belt
Reaction score
If he is faster than you, move out of the way, if you see an open spot, hit it, with all the force you got.

Latest Discussions