George Dillman getting knocked out

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW,
I have seen people KO in the dojo. and they do not get back up that fast. legs go out and body falls with no base.
My 2 cents.

Kosho

OP
T

truth_seeker87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You honestly believe he had no idea what was coming? He was asked to stand there while Oyata Sensei demonstrated technique but Dillman somehow believed he wasn't actually involved in what was about to happen?

I'm not questioning anyone's ability or guilabilty here and there's no need to be defensive.

No just from his reaction I didn't think he knew he was going to get knocked out. Sure have a technique done, but with that kind speed and accuracy? I don't think he expected that. Its certainly takes a good amount of training (which is an understatement) to do what was done on that video. It was static technique, not done in action, but that doesn't mean it wasn't effective, the technique was taken out of context to show the end result i.e: I hit here, he goes down. I don't really think he went down gracefully, but I'd rather spend more time training then arguing on the internet.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No just from his reaction I didn't think he knew he was going to get knocked out. Sure have a technique done, but with that kind speed and accuracy? I don't think he expected that. Its certainly takes a good amount of training (which is an understatement) to do what was done on that video. It was static technique, not done in action, but that doesn't mean it wasn't effective, the technique was taken out of context to show the end result i.e: I hit here, he goes down. I don't really think he went down gracefully, but I'd rather spend more time training then arguing on the internet.

If I'm at a shime waza seminar and the instructor asks me to come up front, I'm probably not going to be surprised when he chokes me out, regardless of his speed and accuracy.
We obviously see this differently. Let's move on.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Paul you are definately right on here. Oyata is the real deal with Kyusho but the truth of the matter is that this is not rocket science and or magic but really rather simple stuff just like you pointed out. One even has to ask if it is good to knock these people out so often? Does it predispose them to being knocked out in a real confrontation? Is it potentially causing them to maybe have a concussion? If so then maybe these individuals should rethink what they are doing at seminars.

Bottom line I can teach someone to knock someone else out in less than twenty seconds if the other person just stands there. (nothing secret and really nothing special) Now teach someone how to do that against a resisting attacker and they are successful, well that is special!
icon6.gif

Thankyou!! I "believe" in pressure points. I know what it feels like to have them hit and ti hit people on them. I don't know what it feels like to do either of these if the other doesn't want it to happen. Just sayin'

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thankyou!! I "believe" in pressure points. I know what it feels like to have them hit and ti hit people on them. I don't know what it feels like to do either of these if the other doesn't want it to happen. Just sayin'

I to believe in pressure points as well. However they are in essence pretty simple to learn and effect particularly on someone just standing there.
icon6.gif

OP
T

truth_seeker87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From what I am told by a few of my seniors and what the video looks like I'd say circa early 1980s. The footage definatly looks that old and from what I've seen of footage and photos of that time thats what Dillman and Mr. Oyata would have looked like.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry I am 3 months late on this one...

In our kyusho training we recognize a few different levels of KO. Only the 3rd level is unconciousness. At the first level you are dazed and may fall down. This appears to be where Dillman is at in this clip. At level 2 there is dizziness and physical disassociation, almost always falling down. Level 3 out.

And I do believe that getting KO'd this ways does make one more susceptible to getting KOd this way. I don't know why, but I've seen it to be true in a few people.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
The pressure point knock outs also tend to work far better on the students of the Kyusho instructor. Funny that!!

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It as a common practice to twist the patients nipple (this is the stuff in the trauma room you don’t see.) of patients to see if they are aware of any stimulus or to see if and suspected faker, is faking unconsciousness.

Why not the standard sternum knuckle rub to check responsiveness? Do you find that the nipple is more effective, if not more appropriate? :rolleyes:

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bottom line I can teach someone to knock someone else out in less than twenty seconds if the other person just stands there. (nothing secret and really nothing special) Now teach someone how to do that against a resisting attacker and they are successful, well that is special!
icon6.gif

Yep. It's called "Boxing"

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, it's really similar to how wing chun mostly seems to work against wing chun students.
Oh, don't forget how Aikido works best against Aikido students, and kenpo works best against kenpo students. It's all a conspiracy, dontchknow?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MODERATION NOTE:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful - we do not art bash here. Please read the General Posting Rules.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, don't forget how Aikido works best against Aikido students, and kenpo works best against kenpo students. It's all a conspiracy, dontchknow?

Well actually Aikido does work better on Aikido students. I guarentee if it was used in the street the attacker wouldn't fly through the air as they do in class. Read a book called 'Angry White Pyjamas'.It's a true account of a guy's experiences with the riot police course at the Yoshinkan Aikido dojo in Japan. Some 5th dans get in a fight and punch on and no aikido is used at all, they just punch on. You will definitely find that PP ko's are definitely more effective on the pp students than outsiders.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Aaron Fields

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ummmmm hey, I have a bridge for sale…cheap!

Aaron “anatomy is best not learned form a cheerio box” Fields

Latest Discussions