genbukan

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
With Gyokko ryu there is possibly a connection: Its first official Soke was Tozawa Hakuunsai, which could argue for a potential connection with Hakuun ryu but doesn't establish anything conclusive.

Well, since this is a thread about the Genbukan, I did find the following article by Shoto Tanemura:

http://users.skynet.be/genbukan/iga.htm

In it, he states (among other things) that: "Iga Hakuun Ryu Ninpo was founded in Jinpyo Heiji Era (1151-1160) by Hakuun Doshi who taught Kimon Heibei and Tozawa Hakuunsai (Tozawa Kaneuji who was retainer of Minamoto Tameto). Heibei and Hakuunsai were taught by Hachiryu Nyudo who was expert of Kosshijutsu."

Also, as a side note... in the last chapter of Essence of Ninjutsu: The Nine Traditions, Hatsumi-soke lists Tozawa Hakuunsai as one of the "grandmasters" of "Iga ryu Ninjutsu" --- along Hakuun Doshi, Togakure Daisuke, Momochi Sandayu, and others.

Don't know if any of this establishes any kind of connection, but... *shrugs*

I'm not aware of any Hakuun/Koto connection. . .but then again, history's not really my thing.

Well, in the article I linked above, Tanemura claims that: "Techniques found in Gyokko Ryu, Koto Ryu, Gikan Ryu, Kumogakure Ryu, Kasumi Ryu rely greatly on those from Hakuun Ryu Ninpo."

So, again.... *shrugs*

Just my thoughts. Laterz. :asian: