Gee Kim Yeung Ma and my knees

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I started working on Wing Chun again I was concerned about the stance, Gee Kim Yeung Ma, and its effect on my knees, much to my surprise my knees feel stronger, so much so I have been doing some stance training standing in Gee Kim Yeung Ma.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Curious as to what your concern was and why. If you are standing in a proper YJKYM your knees should be relaxed and supple. I have a torn maniscus in both of my knees and have no problem with YJKYM.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Curious as to what your concern was and why. If you are standing in a proper YJKYM your knees should be relaxed and supple. I have a torn maniscus in both of my knees and have no problem with YJKYM.

I agree with Danny. The inward rotation is at the hips (a joint that is meant to rotate) not at the knees (a joint that is not meant to rotate). So in YGKYM, your knees should stay aligned just as if you were standing naturally with your toes pointing forward. I think the reason some have problems with the knees is that they are trying to squeeze them as closely together as possible when training. This isn't necessary.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Probably should have added this in the first post.....

I have 2 bad knees one was a meniscus torn in 2 places (no surgery, just let it wear in which was an option recommended by the MD) which put me in a brace and on crutches and a cane for a long time. The other most definitely had a rather bad bruise to the joint and possible meniscus which put me in a brace and on a cane for a few months. The one with the diagnosed tears is now arthritic and I have had Cortisone shots in both. Stopped my Xingyiquan because of this, the knees could not take it, even with proper stance. That was my problem

I was concerned about Gee Kim Yeung Ma and my knees because of prior injuries and early on (first 2 classes) after what amounted to a half hour standing in Gee Kim Yeung Ma my knees felt strange and made me think that I would be limping the next day and that had me concerned. But the next day, much to my surprise, they were great and actually felt stronger.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's great. You are doing something correctly then. Knees should be approx. two fists apart and should be following the toes. Don't pull them inward simply flexed and relaxed. Tension should be just enough to hold the position in a relaxed manner.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
When a beginner stands with his knees and feet in the correct position I tell him:
"if you were standing on ice your feet would naturally drift apart until you ended up in the splits. Engage your inner thighs just enough to counter that, but not enough to pull your feet together."

Latest Discussions