Gas $4.00 a gallon

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a link for the article in Yahoo about gas prices jumping to records high this time. Link what fo you think about this?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link for the article in Yahoo about gas prices jumping to records high this time. Link what fo you think about this?

What do I think about the high price of gas? I think it stinks! Some of the gas stations I've seen around my area have ranged from $3.19-$3.29. I'm sure as the warm weather approaches, it'll rise. My wife and I both have SUVs, so when I last gassed hers up, it was about a 1/4 of a tank left and with regular it came to a little over $43.00.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well we have more competition for that oil now ie: China, India and of course the rest of the world. The nations with the oil are going for it and the rest of us are paying for it.
icon9.gif

Unfortunately we will probably see up to $5 a gallon in the next four years. So next time you buy think fuel efficient.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sure I think it sucks, but it will be a driving economic force to move us off the oil tit, and might force Americans to do that thing they really don't like to do, conserve. Just like in the late 70s the compact cars are going to make a comeback.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well we have more competition for that oil now ie: China, India and of course the rest of the world. The nations with the oil are going for it and the rest of us are paying for it.
icon9.gif

I heard a report/story on the radio (NPR) that says the competition accounts for the increase of oil up to $80/bbl, but it's the speculators and investors that have push it up over the $107/bbl we are seeing now.

Tech bubble - - - -POP!
Housing bubble - - - - POP!
Oil Price Bubble - - - POP?!?!?!

If investors overdo it, the bottom could fall out and prices have the possiblity of falling under $50/bbl.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmmm. If we can get a few very vocal people to start talking about the bottom falling out of oil, maybe it will become a self-fullfilling prophesy, kind of like some economic slowdowns/downturns?

I heard the bottom will fall out of oil prices this year!

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not buying the increased competition excuse. Not completely anyway. Oil prices didn't start to soar until recently. Are we to believe that China and India suddenly started to use more oil just within the past couple of years? It's true that their oil consumption is on the rise but that didn't happen over night. As far as gasoline prices in the US are concerned there's one event that seems to be a kind of turning point. The Iraq war. Gas prices began to spike soon after we invaded Iraq and they've been going up ever since. Interesting that none of the government economists ever make that connection.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crushing, you're dead wrong on this.

The price of stocks is due to what people perceive as their future profitability. The price of a mortgage depends on the price of money, the cost of transferring or building a house, and the probability that the lender believes you are going to pay him back.

The price of oil is due to the supply of the stuff matched to how much people want it and how much they are using combined with the degree of price-fixing on the part of the suppliers. Unlike the first two it's a much harder edged thing.

The world is at or past production capacity. You won't have a million dot petrol firms springing up to create more dead dinosaurs, so the supply isn't going to increase. In fact we know with grim certainty that the supply will never be as high as it was last year.

There's no way that we are going to drastically reduce demand for petroleum in the the next couple years. The amount needed for transportation, industry, electricity generation and so on isn't going to go down by any significant fraction barring total economic collapse throughout the world.

This is one area where Republican delusional faith-based "thinking" won't save you.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A two pronged reason... there is no shortage of crude oil as OPEC keeps pumping it out and there are no problems getting crude to market. The tensions in South America and the Middle East have not gotten worse so that shouldn't be a problem.

The crux of the criminally outrageous high price of crude seems to be speculation and trying to hedge against the weak dollar/ recession.

Two additional problems: 1.) refineries are in the "maintenance" period and operating at approximatley 80% - and since refineries only making a couple of dollars per barrel profit, unlike the 35 to 40 dollar per barrel profit just about a year ago, there is no incentive for the refineries to crank up produciton.

Happy frigging motoring.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
tellner,

You say I'm 'dead wrong' (ooooh, such scary and imposing language!) but then you didn't really counter anything I said. You went on about something else with which I don't necessarily disagree. Oh well.

This is one area where Republican delusional faith-based "thinking" won't save you.

Also, I know it has become commonplace in many of your rants, especially against those with which you disagree and that you feel you can pigeon hole into a certain stereotypes, but can you please do without the snide insults?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a direct result of not allowing exploration for and exploitation of US based oil and not increasing refining capacity in decades. Add to that buying a hell of a lot of oil from people who don't like us, gee, high prices. Perhaps if the government, and by the way, the people had the stones to tell the rabid environmentalists where to get off we wouldn't be in this position.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My own two bits on this, because currently unemployed I feel the bite of rising gas prices a bit more acutely IMO.
I drive a jeep which is okay on gas mileage as it were, but being it older and with over 250K it's not as it was when new. Yesterday, I was able to put five bucks in and gotten just little over a gallon plus. Gas gauge didn't even register or move from it's present position. How's that feel? Like I didn't put any in it.

The war is a contributing factor in the rise of prices, and there are other factors involved. Greed for one thing. Greed from investors, from the Oil Mongers and Oil producers. When they spiked it a few years ago people went ahead bitched and paid for the gas ... the key is they paid for it. In many cases they didn't have a choice but I am thinking in a majority of cases they did. Driving slower, driving less, carpooling, public transport... all of these definitely help in reducing consumption. But no, folks need their cars and they need the speed and they need to get out of the house. The lessons from the 70's so called energy crisis hasn't been passed on to today's younger adult generation.

We hear all sorts of stories about alternate fuel engines but don't see the production of these 100 miles to gallon wonders. The greed of the oil folks won't let it happen. We hear stories about the suppression of the technology and how certain inventors have "disappeared" off the face of the earth because they came up with a non-petroleum engine that offers just as much power and is three to four times more efficient. I won't even go into how it's even more healthier for the environment and us.

We the people of the planet earth do have the power to tell these greedy jerkoffs that it's time the oil burning internal combustion engines is over and done with. I mean how much money do you need? Want to build another Ski Resort in the middle of the Arabian desert? Geez, I guess we got to keep paying extortion fees with the rising cost of gas to do it.
We CAN say ... no. But we don't. Because we don't they keep raising the prices and find new ways to cover up the fact that they think they aren't making enough money and that they need more. More more more.

Somehow the candidates in this year's election aren't making me feel comfortable that they'll fight to keep the costs down.

Well excuse me, gotta go, I think my turn to bend over to take it up the tail pipe is coming up here again soon. Got to spend what's left of my dwindling cash reserves to fuel up and try to find another job before the tank runs dry. Ta-ta for now.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah yes. Kill the caribou, and it will solve our problems.

Unfortunately, this little plum for the oil industry won't do much. The most optimistic projections are that the entire ANW would provide a few weeks' supply. Back in the sixties and early seventies the cornucopians and oil executives assured us that we weren't anywhere near capacity. There was plenty of oil out there and would be forever.

We hit the Hubbard peak right on schedule.

Our oil fields have been in decline ever since, and there haven't been any really huge new finds. Nor do the industry scientists think there will be. The Bush Administration has given the industry everything it could possibly want. They have delivered increased profits, but no measurable new supplies.

In Europe the last major exploitable resource was the North Sea. It's pretty much played out.

The Middle Eastern fields are at capacity and increasingly senescent.

Central Asia and the West Coast of Africa have new capacity, but it's nothing like what we need to raise supplies enough to lower prices. And again, the oil industry doesn't think it will. Shell and at least two others whose names escape me at the moment have taken huge hits in the last couple years when they admitted that their real and theoretical oil stocks were lower than they had stated (i.e. they lied) and wouldn't increase. That included all the -stans and offshore oil near Africa.

Sorry people, but there isn't enough to go around at the rate of consumption we're used to. The oil companies know it. The scientists know it. The government knows it. And the magic petrol fairy isn't going to wave her wand and miraculously come up with quadrillions of extra barrels of the stuff.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah yes. Kill the caribou, and it will solve our problems.

Unfortunately, this little plum for the oil industry won't do much. The most optimistic projections are that the entire ANW would provide a few weeks' supply. Back in the sixties and early seventies the cornucopians and oil executives assured us that we weren't anywhere near capacity. There was plenty of oil out there and would be forever.

We hit the Hubbard peak right on schedule.

Our oil fields have been in decline ever since, and there haven't been any really huge new finds. Nor do the industry scientists think there will be. The Bush Administration has given the industry everything it could possibly want. They have delivered increased profits, but no measurable new supplies.

In Europe the last major exploitable resource was the North Sea. It's pretty much played out.

The Middle Eastern fields are at capacity and increasingly senescent.

Central Asia and the West Coast of Africa have new capacity, but it's nothing like what we need to raise supplies enough to lower prices. And again, the oil industry doesn't think it will. Shell and at least two others whose names escape me at the moment have taken huge hits in the last couple years when they admitted that their real and theoretical oil stocks were lower than they had stated (i.e. they lied) and wouldn't increase. That included all the -stans and offshore oil near Africa.

Sorry people, but there isn't enough to go around at the rate of consumption we're used to. The oil companies know it. The scientists know it. The government knows it. And the magic petrol fairy isn't going to wave her wand and miraculously come up with quadrillions of extra barrels of the stuff.

I agree with this fact, but here is my problem with the acceptance of this. People keep saying that, and the oil companies use it to jusitfy the rising cost of gas. If they opened more refineries they could keep the costs down for awhile, but they aren't willing. WHY? Because it would cut into their profit margin. They are putting up record profits, so the "cost" of oil that they keep talking about isn't rising at the same rate that they are raising gas prices.

It would be one thing if the cost per barrell rose, and their profits stayed the same because they only raised accordingly. BUT, they are using the cost per barrell as an excuse to raise gas as much as they can, and still have people buy it.

Mark my words, in the next week or so gas will be back to around $3 a barrell because people are getting fed up with the high price and will start talking about "dry days" where no one buys gas and then the miracle happens, the gas price magically drops. Then they slowly build it back up and go a little higher the next time until it happens again. This keeps happening over and over.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Living in the Northeast, I get hit twice. Once for my gasoline, and again for my home fuel oil.

I'm seeking alternatives/more efficient appliances.

1. I traded my truck (19 mpg) for a car (32 mpg).
2. I am going to add a wood/pellet burning stove to my house

P.S. I think Exxon Mobil's profits were ~40 billion last year.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with this fact, but here is my problem with the acceptance of this. People keep saying that, and the oil companies use it to jusitfy the rising cost of gas. If they opened more refineries they could keep the costs down for awhile, but they aren't willing. WHY? Because it would cut into their profit margin. They are putting up record profits, so the "cost" of oil that they keep talking about isn't rising at the same rate that they are raising gas prices.

It would be one thing if the cost per barrell rose, and their profits stayed the same because they only raised accordingly. BUT, they are using the cost per barrell as an excuse to raise gas as much as they can, and still have people buy it.

Mark my words, in the next week or so gas will be back to around $3 a barrell because people are getting fed up with the high price and will start talking about "dry days" where no one buys gas and then the miracle happens, the gas price magically drops. Then they slowly build it back up and go a little higher the next time until it happens again. This keeps happening over and over.

Well, the oil companies will keep going no matter how much John Q Public bitches about the rising prices. They have to have an incentive to stop the increase, otherwise they just turn up the volume on their IPods and keep right on going in their gas guzzling limousines.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Right. Its that simple. We're running dry.

Now, this means that the market for "work from home" technologies -- VOIP / VPN / SSH all of that stuff will start to crank up. Business don't like it, but they don't have to like it, they just have to TAKE it.

Those businesses that offer this "work from remote" option will be able to get the best employees -- that perk, not paying for transportation cost -- will be a big draw in the future.

That also means some people will make money by selling these services.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmmmm. If we can get a few very vocal people to start talking about the bottom falling out of oil, maybe it will become a self-fullfilling prophesy, kind of like some economic slowdowns/downturns?

I heard the bottom will fall out of oil prices this year!

Hahaha!!! Yes, it only depends on what you say! Just keep saying to yourself -- "The economy is not failing -- we are in good shape!" Just like George Bush's little lap dog says!

Oh, you people crack me up!!!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hahaha!!! Yes, it only depends on what you say!

Yes, it was meant to be funny. I'm just a regular Joe and won't have an impact no matter what font size I use. ;) No, it doesn't ONLY depend on what people say, nobody said that. There is a reason consumer confidence reports are seen as an important indicator. What the media, politicians, and Fed say can have an impact on consumer confidence. Then it feeds itself.

Just keep saying to yourself -- "The economy is not failing -- we are in good shape!" Just like George Bush's little lap dog says!

Yes, there is a conflict between the 'If it bleeds it leads' media along with politicians that have something to gain from a faltering economy and with those that something to gain by keeping the economy steady and growing along with those that paint an overly rosy and optimistic picture of the same for their parties own re-election purposes.

Oh, you people crack me up!!!

You people???? I don't get this game or whatever it is. It's happened twice now in this thread. I see party loyalists (Republican and Democrat) on various forums try to pull this "us v. them" stunt, but I really don't understand the purpose of such an attempted marginalization in what could be just a straight-up discussion.

Best regards,
crushing

Latest Discussions