G19 9x19 (or 40s&W) or XD9?

OP
V

Van Kuen

The "C" is for a compensated firearm which is supposed to diminish some of the recoil when the gun if fired through the use of open ports on the upper portion of the slide near the tip of the barrel. From what I understand it is good for beginner shooters and people who just plain don't like/can't handle the kick of the normal G19. In some instances people have said it CAN be more accurate due to the lack recoil.

I've discussed in detail with some of the dealers around town about the the G19 and the C version, and afer having visited many of the dealers none of them seem to even have the guns let alone provide good customer service or pricing. None of them were willing to lower the price knowing I could buy it from academy for 499 versus their higher 550-650 figures. (the only thing that stopped me was the hi cap mag was not available at academy - nor was the ability to bring the gun back should any problems arise). I looked up FFL dealers in town to do a title transfer from an online site. This guy seems to be on a lot of the websites for my area, and he is a certified GLOCK amourer. So he seems to be pretty well established. And again, the gun is brand new, and never been fired - with all the standard goodies, with the same lifetime warranty as the "big" dealer. So although Im a new buyer....I've also been waiting for the past year doing research on the gun(s) and talking to people.

One of the contributing factors in getting the C model was that my girlfriend will also be using the gun, and many of the gun dealers agreed that the C version is a good option. Follow up shots can be done quicker and with more accuracy. None had any negative statements about the gun other then the possibility of the gases becoming a nuisance in low light situations. But the way I figure it, Im going to shoot two or three times after the initial aim anyway, and I've got the light and laser as well. If you guys know anything else by all means please let me know before tonight.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Van Kuen...

Good, sounds like you are doing or have done your homework...

Like I said before, take into account other persons feeling and what you want.

That's what you just posted, soooo good luck, have fun, be careful and keep in touch...

Regards, Gary

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Van Kuen, I would personally never choose a compensated handgun for anything other than target-shooting or possibly hunting. For defense it's not the best idea. One reason is that (as you mentioned) in low light situations (the norm for SD situations) it's going to mess with your night vision. Another reason is that in a defensive situation you probably won't be able to assume a perfect modified-weaver stance. In other words, you may have to shoot from a retention postition in which case you're going to be burned by the gasses which, according to some photos I've seen, can be pretty nasty. Aside from these reasons I don't feel that a compensator is necessary except, as I said, on competition guns or large-caliber weapons where recoil is an issue. The felt-recoil with a G19 is almost non-existent.

Also, just a piece of friendly advice. You mentioned that you plan to use a rail-mounted light/laser. While these devices are great, don't make the mistake of relying on them. Make sure you train w/o them as much as you do with them...batteries go dead. Also, consider training with a handheld flashlight just in case.

Good luck, burn lots of ammo :)

OP
V

Van Kuen

Yea, I just went through a couple hundred rounds today with the compensated glock. I burnt some pretty good sized holes through the bullseyes too. Not bad for not having shot anything for a while! I was pretty suprised myself.

Anyway, after doing more research on the impact of the ports and low light situations...from what I've read and been told, the night vision can be inhibited because of the gases in low light situations...but a lot of that depends on the ammo used. In addition...the laser/light is just there as an added benefit should the need arise, it wont be a crutch as I already shoot pretty well without it. As far as the gas burns go, I don't plan to "shoot from the hip" all too often.

I'm going to be taking the concealed carry course next month. So Im not familiar with all the lingo...whats the weaver stance?

OP

A weaver stance is facing straight ahead with the knees bent and both arms straight with you head droped low. I personally cant do the weaver stance myself because i cant hit anything with it. If youve shot a lot and havent learned the weaver stance it is hard to relearn how to shoot in that position.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
8253 said:
A weaver stance is facing straight ahead with the knees bent and both arms straight with you head droped low. I personally cant do the weaver stance myself because i cant hit anything with it. If youve shot a lot and havent learned the weaver stance it is hard to relearn how to shoot in that position.
Actually, what you described is the Isosceles stance. In the Weaver stance you stand partially "bladed" in relation to the target (think of a Kenpo neutral-bow) with your arms flexed. The main difference between the two is that in Isosceles your arms are both extended allowing your shoulders take the recoil, whereas the Weaver utilizes flexed arms thereby stabilizing the weapon through an isometric "push/pull" action.

A modifed-Weaver is where your gun-arm is extended and your off-hand is bent. Here's a link to a site that has a more detailed explanation of the positions.

OP
V

Van Kuen

HEY WHAT THE HELL MAN THERE'S NO PICTURES?!!

In any case the only way that I shoot standing for the most part is that of a natural side stance, left side leading and right hand on the gun with left hand supporting. I can't hit crap using the isosceles stance...but apparently my GF can. I was taught that stance a long time ago in high school when I went on a field trip to the police academy for my law enforcement class. So that's how I started shooting.

I blew some big holes through the bullseyes too...Im pretty proud of that for my first owned gun.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seig said:
I'm a big fan of the modified weaver. I find it allows me to get back on target faster and retain a better picture sight alignment.
Dito...I've played with the others but Isosceles doesn't work for me at all. I do like having my gun-arm straight (as opposed to both bent in the classic Weaver), hence the use of the modified-Weaver.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have both Glock (G17) and XD9(SC). From a "features" standpoint the XD has more. I bought the XD as a CCW weapon and the added backstrap safety was a nice feature for me. As far as quality and build I vote for the Glock. Can't beat its tuff tenifer finish and reliability record. The XDs grip feels better in my hand (less bulge in the palm). I'm actually shooting as tight if not tighter groups from 7 yards with my compact XD (3" barrel) as I am with with my G17! XD is also close to $100 cheaper. Can't really go wrong with either pistol.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I looked at the XD9 before I picked up my G-19 but I didn't like it at all. It just felt weird. I have however been very satisfied with the glock, even if it is chambered in a "sissy poodle-popper" round. :D

Latest Discussions