FTF

werdna notxas

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not think that any of you that are negatively criticizing martialartstutor about understand what his intentions are with FTF taekwondo.

I too have been doing taekwondo for quite some time and realized that there are holes in the art that need to be filled. (no proper use of hands, no defense against takedowns, never any emphasis on the clinch, etc.). There is also too much of a focus on forms and one-step sparring that will NOT prepare you to defend yourself.

Kudo karate is a perfect example of an evolving traditional martial art. They have worked with thai kickboxers, american boxing coaches, and brazillian jiu jitsu practitioners to make their karate better. If you go on youtube and watch a video by martial arts tutor called "Chuck Norris is legit" he (martialartstutor) talks about how even the great martial artist of his time, Chuck Norris himself, earned his black belt in brazillian jiu jitsu and now requires his students to learn grappling in his karate school.

Taekwondo is not an absolutely horrible martial art. I personally have lived in South Korea for a few years and the practitioners are incredible athletes, but it can only take you so far. Even some of the teakwondo instructors that I have talked to over there have admitted that they had flaws in their system so they took up either boxing or muay thai to make their stand up fighting more complete.

Again, martialartstutor does not mean to hate on everyone who has a passion for taekwondo. It is a beautiful art, but based on what ITF and WTF schools teach these days, it is not worthy of calling itself a 'martial art'.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do not think that any of you that are negatively criticizing martialartstutor about understand what his intentions are with FTF taekwondo.

I too have been doing taekwondo for quite some time and realized that there are holes in the art that need to be filled. (no proper use of hands, no defense against takedowns, never any emphasis on the clinch, etc.). There is also too much of a focus on forms and one-step sparring that will NOT prepare you to defend yourself.

[...]
Again, martialartstutor does not mean to hate on everyone who has a passion for taekwondo. It is a beautiful art, but based on what ITF and WTF schools teach these days, it is not worthy of calling itself a 'martial art'.

Welcome to the forum!

It's good to see new people joining in order to defend that FTF idea. ;-)

Regarding your mentioned 'holes in the system': Those aren't holes in the system. If these are problems at certain dojangs than these are problems of the dojangs' curriculums.

Did you ever realize that the majority of techniques in TKD are hand techniques? Did you ever realize that the first technique the Kukkiwon lists in their list of basic techniques are Kkeokgi (꺾기) , Neomgigi (넘기기) and Ppaegi (빼기)? If you never heard these terms: those are self defense techniques.

Btw, you shouldn't call it Functional Taekwondo, but "stripped down to self-defense Taekwondo". Just because many schools are stripped down to the sports-side of Taekwondo doesn't mean there's need for a new Federation.

Anyway, this discussion is old and will never end. It also won't ever end, because there are and will always be people who want the sport focused side of TKD, who don't want to fight, but who want to stay in good shape and have fun.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is a beautiful art, but based on what ITF and WTF schools teach these days, it is not worthy of calling itself a 'martial art'.

I do not know what ITF and WTF do. But where do you get the authority to say what is a Martial Art?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you all for your responses and thoughts on the FTF.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all the bashing I did on martial arts. My earlier videos were sparked by more anger and disgust with the TKD system becuase of how my instructor and his fellow instructors showcased it. What's more is that despite years looking for better schools, I came to the conclusion that TKD is a flawed system when you compare it to things like Muay thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or MMA.

I've been doing martial arts for over 15 years, and in my experience I developed a strong passion for teaching Taekwondo and wanted to use the similar structure (belt progressions, uniform, terminology) to teach a more practical form of martial arts. I have seen some of the value of TKD in my mma experience, but I would say it wouldn't have been possible until I developed a stronger boxing and wrestling foundation.

You see, you guys are critisizing my forms. What matters more; being able to fight or knowing how to punch and kick the air? (Btw, the style I learned came from an instructor with a karate background; he liked to use those type of movements which explains why I don't move like the typical ift practioner) I often find it disturbing how much emphasis there is on something like that. You're essentially critiquing my "dancing". This isn't dancing with the stars lol

In my new federation (and yes, I'm calling out the other federations impractical) there will be no forms, only sparring application and self defense. Similar to burton richardson's jkd unlimited, or daido juku karate-do (kudo). The problem with forms is that they are the very standard for testing and I find them a great waste of time in my opinion.

There are many other people who support my ideas, so believe me when I tell you that I've heard all the naysayers say this federation won't work out. I've been training kickboxing muay thai and jiu jitsu ever since I uploaded my first few videos and I can tell you that my knowledge of fighting has increased drastically. I have many people who have been following my ideas and want to see this federation come to life.

I apologize to anyone whom I offended, I'm just trying to make Taekwondo a better martial art for people around the world. Even if that means offering current practioners a new practical curriculum they can impliment in their schools.

No kid blackbelts. No more belt factories. No more testing fees. No more no-contact sparring. No more forms. No more point sparring. No more fake techniques. No more one steps. No more fake hapkido wrist locks that don't work against resistance. No more conformist mentalities. No more social hierarchy. No more out of shape instructors. No more hiding behind 8 degrees. No more flashy demonstrations. No more gymnastics. No more dancing. No more Mcdojos. Just real, practical, and effective martial arts for children, teens, adults, fighters, and families.

It is extremely difficult for me to clear my mind of what my initial feelings and thoughts were concerning any of this. Which was a video bashing the very art you were still teaching, at that time, at your instructor's school.And then putting it on the damn internet. That's an infamia and has nothing to do with whether the art or school is good, bad or mediocre.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

It's good to see new people joining in order to defend that FTF idea. ;-)

I guess it's a hot topic where 2 new people join in a few hours to defend something.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the discussion, Taylor. I watched several of your videos, and, yes, I was upset by several of them and entertained as well. Anyway, apology accepted.

Self-defense is an important aspect of Taekwondo, but it is not the only one. There are Five core areas of TKD: Forms, Self-defense, Sparring, Breaking, and One-steps. You are proposing to eliminate three of these (I assume, as you don't mention breaking at all.) If you want to start a school that teaches only SD and sparring, I have no problem with that, but, as others have said, it's not Taekwondo. So, why do you insist on a name that does not accurately represent what you are teaching?

Also, in your "TKD Sucks" video, you kept talking about the lousy SD training at a particular school, but what you were describing sounded like One-steps. They are not the same thing. One-steps are simply a drill and are not intended to be a realistic SD scenario. If this school was teaching otherwise, well shame on them. At my school One-step (Ilsushik) and Self-defense are entirely different lessons. Our SD lessons involve eye-gouges, sweeps, take-downs, chokes, and lots of other fun stuff. The attacker also hits you in various ways, not just a straight punch.

Similarly, Poomse is not self-defense. It is a way to condition your muscle-memory to remember different techniques. Are you going to use them in that exact way in a fight? Of course not! That's not the point. Anyway, there are others who can explain Poomse better than I can. I know you hate it with a passion, but I think it's fun and relaxing. Does that mean I suck, too? :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Self-defense is an important aspect of Taekwondo, but it is not the only one. There are Five core areas of TKD: Forms, Self-defense, Sparring, Breaking, and One-steps. You are proposing to eliminate three of these (I assume, as you don't mention breaking at all.) If you want to start a school that teaches only SD and sparring, I have no problem with that, but, as others have said, it's not Taekwondo. So, why do you insist on a name that does not accurately represent what you are teaching?
I could maybe see the point of the name if Taylor was keeping the combative techniques, tactics, and body mechanics of TKD, while just ditching certain specific training methods he disliked. You could argue about whether he should change the name of the art in that case, but at least he would have a reasonable claim to still having at least a version of TKD. What I can't see a good reason for is keeping the TKD name if he's just doing MMA with a little TKD sprinkled around the edges.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In all honesty future, FTF students are going to have a bounty on their heads from all of the system bashing that the founder did. The founder may want to take those videos down if his students are ever thinking about doing competitive fighting.

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather fight against someone who only wants to win a competition, than to fight against someone who doesn't care about winning so long as they prove a point that their system doesn't suck. FTF students could be taking beatings that they don't deserve only because their founder talked junk. I wonder how the FTF supporters feel about this perspective.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too have been doing taekwondo for quite some time and realized that there are holes in the art that need to be filled. (no proper use of hands, no defense against takedowns, never any emphasis on the clinch, etc.).

Unless you happen to study the complete art of TKD where these things have not been removed during the watering down process that seems to have occurred in whatever school you studied at.

There is also too much of a focus on forms and one-step sparring that will NOT prepare you to defend yourself.

This is only true if you have only studied them poorly.

Taekwondo is not an absolutely horrible martial art....but it can only take you so far.

Speak for yourself.

Again, martialartstutor does not mean to hate on everyone who has a passion for taekwondo.

He doesn't mean to, it is just a natural consequence of ignorance and lack of knowledge.

It is a beautiful art, but based on what ITF and WTF schools teach these days, it is not worthy of calling itself a 'martial art'.

These are not the only organizations. WTF does not have schools (you must mean KKW, they have schools) and you have based it only on what YOU have seen and your personal opinion, which doesn't mean much.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's one thing to keep in mind that may offer some perspective on all of this. This expert who's telling us that the entire world of TKD has been doing everything wrong and that he has all of the answers- is 21 years old.

Good point.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At 21 it seems to be pretty difficult to put a coherent and cohesive point together. As regards putting together a coherent and cohesive martial art, well...

Creating a viable martial art from other martial arts takes understanding of them, deep experience of them and above all genius levels of talent at the age of 21.

I've seen your videos. I've seen how you move, how you spar and above all how you think. Based on that, I wouldn't hold your breath on membership requests outside of your circle of buddies.

I mean do what you want, but a federation will not build itself, and neither will a curriculum. You will need help if this is going to succeed, and I think you're unlikely to get it from the traditional martial artists you seem hell bent on insulting (whether intentionally or not).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...and since we're talking about stripping down taekwondo and adding other stuff anyway:
...it's not as if this has never been thought of before. One could just learn and teach one of these hybrids rather than creating yet another new curriculum.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since there is no such thing as a WTF school, it's safe to say you don't know enough to speak on the subject.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one thing to keep in mind that may offer some perspective on all of this. This expert who's telling us that the entire world of TKD has been doing everything wrong and that he has all of the answers- is 21 years old.
I'm grateful that the internet was not available to me when I was 21 years old. It meant that my lack of maturity and good sense was only apparent to those in my immediate circle, many of whom were no better off than I was in those departments.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm grateful that the internet was not available to me when I was 21 years old. It meant that my lack of maturity and good sense was only apparent to those in my immediate circle, many of whom were no better off than I was in those departments.

Yeah, I was as dumb as a box of doughnuts, too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you all for your responses and thoughts on the FTF.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all the bashing I did on martial arts. My earlier videos were sparked by more anger and disgust with the TKD system becuase of how my instructor and his fellow instructors showcased it. What's more is that despite years looking for better schools, I came to the conclusion that TKD is a flawed system when you compare it to things like Muay thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or MMA.

I've been doing martial arts for over 15 years, and in my experience I developed a strong passion for teaching Taekwondo and wanted to use the similar structure (belt progressions, uniform, terminology) to teach a more practical form of martial arts. I have seen some of the value of TKD in my mma experience, but I would say it wouldn't have been possible until I developed a stronger boxing and wrestling foundation.

You see, you guys are critisizing my forms. What matters more; being able to fight or knowing how to punch and kick the air? (Btw, the style I learned came from an instructor with a karate background; he liked to use those type of movements which explains why I don't move like the typical ift practioner) I often find it disturbing how much emphasis there is on something like that. You're essentially critiquing my "dancing". This isn't dancing with the stars lol

In my new federation (and yes, I'm calling out the other federations impractical) there will be no forms, only sparring application and self defense. Similar to burton richardson's jkd unlimited, or daido juku karate-do (kudo). The problem with forms is that they are the very standard for testing and I find them a great waste of time in my opinion.

There are many other people who support my ideas, so believe me when I tell you that I've heard all the naysayers say this federation won't work out. I've been training kickboxing muay thai and jiu jitsu ever since I uploaded my first few videos and I can tell you that my knowledge of fighting has increased drastically. I have many people who have been following my ideas and want to see this federation come to life.

I apologize to anyone whom I offended, I'm just trying to make Taekwondo a better martial art for people around the world. Even if that means offering current practioners a new practical curriculum they can impliment in their schools.

No kid blackbelts. No more belt factories. No more testing fees. No more no-contact sparring. No more forms. No more point sparring. No more fake techniques. No more one steps. No more fake hapkido wrist locks that don't work against resistance. No more conformist mentalities. No more social hierarchy. No more out of shape instructors. No more hiding behind 8 degrees. No more flashy demonstrations. No more gymnastics. No more dancing. No more Mcdojos. Just real, practical, and effective martial arts for children, teens, adults, fighters, and families.
You see forms as part of the problem. And that's part of the problem. Forms aren't always necessary, but if you can't do the forms well, you probably have missed some of the principles of the art, which might be a clue as to why you posted that TKD was useless for self-defense. What you should have posted wast that your TKD was useless for self-defense, because there are some practitioners (and instructors) who have practical TKD already.