Frank Trejo gets kicked.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kirk,

When Mr. Duffy, with Mr. Parker's blessing, designed the 16 thechnique format, it pushed the Blue and Green extensions up to 4th and 5th Black. So any 24 Technique system has the black belt extensions going through 3rd.

Oss,
-Michael

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Michael Billings
Kirk,

When Mr. Duffy, with Mr. Parker's blessing, designed the 16 thechnique format, it pushed the Blue and Green extensions up to 4th and 5th Black. So any 24 Technique system has the black belt extensions going through 3rd.

Oss,
-Michael

Interesting factoid, sir! Thank you! You comin' in for the seminar
this weekend?

P

ProfessorKenpo

First-degree black belt.

A first-degree black belt (junior instructor) has achieved a certain level of physical expertise. Understanding the concepts and principles of motion, he has become a formidable fighter defensively and offensively. However, his skills outstrip his ability to communicate and teach, so teaching is essential to any further progress.

Second-degree black belt.

For the second-degree black belt (associate instructor), the ability to teach has begun to reinforce new-found skills. He has discovered that "to teach is to learn", and this is accompanied by a re-evaluation of past mistakes and bad habits. A new sense of responsibility appears, and he must begin to cultivate an image of authority within the school.

Third-degree black belt.

At third degree (senior instructor), the black belt finds that first- and second-degree black belts look to him for guidance and direction in the execution of techniques. He now has the authority within the school environment to organize a curriculum, express policy and set up tests.

Fourth-degree black belt

At fourth degree (head instructor), the black belt acquires the privilege of overriding others within the school after careful discussion, as well as a more mature ability to communicate that allows teaching first-, second- and third- degree black belts. Together with these responsibilities, the fourth-degree black belt assists the master instructor in seminars, demonstrations and other public functions at which the school and the art are represented. His physical expertise should be noticeably above that of more junior black belts, particularly in terms of speed, power and timing

Fifth-degree black belt

The fifth degree black belt (associate professor) has reached the level at which he begins to teach the art beyond the realm of the school. Although the school curriculum has been carefully spelled-out, he is no longer bound by it and has acquired the ability to tailor it to fit individual students. At fifth degree, in short, the black belt now moves on to a broader base of responsibility

Sixth-degree black belt

The sixth-degree black belt (professor) has now reached a level at which he can not only teach the art but begin to formulate its concepts and principles outside his school. As a result, caution becomes imperative. He has advanced to a critical point in his art, and it is at this point that his accumulation of time in grade becomes his defense against teaching what he cannot later retract

Seventh-degree black belt

At seventh degree (senior professor), a noticeable change takes place in the black belt's understanding of his art. He becomes capable of ascertaining the problems that lie within the teaching of the curriculum. Working from a broader base and beginning to teach locally, nationally and internationally what was once taught mainly at home, he now recognizes that his former ways may not work abroad and must be tailored to particular minds, cultures and agendas. He has realized that while the language of the art remains the same, the varied applications of that language must be fitted to the environment. In brief, a seventh degree who goes out to teach in the world must have learned to tailor his teachings to the place and the people.

Eighth-degree black belt

At eighth degree (associate master), the black belt's concerns shift to exploring areas of physical mastership that were not visible to him in the past. His art eventually begins to expand physically and mentally, so much so that a definite physical change becomes evident, expressing the fact that he has begun to settle into a physical mastery. Thus, movements are less contrived because they are in the process of embodied within him.

Ninth-degree black belt

At ninth degree (master of arts), the black belt has reached a level where, at any given moment, he can choreograph a technique by reaching a "superconscious" level. No longer separate from the art he has internalized, he has at last embodied it and become an element of it. What he teaches and what he physically embodies are indivisible. His contributions to the martial arts inside and outside the community are many, and his rank is backed by at least 25 years of sacrifice and service

Tenth-degree black belt

Tenth degree represents a lifelong endeavor to help all humankind. The rank is so respected by peers and students that the person's word affects the course of the art.

(The titles for the 10 ranks of black belt and the basic ideas of the differences between them came from Ed Parker. I have added a few needed definitions and explanations and provided interpretations.)- Larry G. Tatum

Just some interesting thoughts on ranks of Black and why we use the 24 system thruout obtained at www.archive.org

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

howardr

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wes Idol
Chapel helped run the Internationals and help start the BKF. I believe he was promoted to 9th by a non-Kenpo organization. I saw a 10th he put on some years ago...it was adjusted to respect Parker's 10th....then he took it off and maybe he has put it on again. Parker told many people in around 1990 that he never promoted Chapel, yet Chapel has a 7th cert.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

I've noticed this pattern in your posts for quite a while now. Just doing this once would be bad enough, but you routinely post these unsubstantiated second-hand rumors as if they were established fact. That strikes me as smacking of prevarication.

Do you have ANY first-hand information for any of the above allegations, or are these more unsubstantiated second-hand (or worse) reports from others that you are once again repeating?

Your "evidence" consists of the repeated stories from, at best, questionable others. On the other hand, hmmm...let's see there is Ed Parker's own book that he wrote, in which he included a family tree, which if I'm not mistaken lists Dr. Chapel as a first-generation student. Your "evidence" is innuendo. On the other hand, there is the fact that Dr. Chapel is acknowledged in several of Mr. Parker's books, is photographed in those same books demonstrating Kenpo techniques, wearing a blackbelt, there are the "official" American Kenpo videos that Dr. Chapel assisted Mr. Parker in, there is the fact that Dr. Chapel helped run the Internationals, oh and there is a certificate signed by Ed Parker acknowledging Dr. Chapel's promotion. So, on the one hand we have a bunch of real, independently verifiable physical evidence that Dr. Chapel is the real deal, and on the other some slanderous second-hand rumors from questionable quarters.

Again, I ask, what basis, what actual specific evidence, do you have that what you are alleging is true? How do you know the individuals who told you these stories do not themselves have their own motivations or agendas to slant the truth or lie? Just because you trust these individuals because they have helped you out, have been good to you, or are skilled in Kenpo does not mean that they are entirely trustworthy about such matters, especially as they involve political issues. Perhaps, they have motives that you are unaware of for wanting to slander Dr. Chapel because he knows certain things about them that they don't want substantiated.

Frankly, I'm pretty shocked that I would need to layout this basic logical principle that stories repeated from others are not evidence as such for the truth and veracity of a claim. In court it's called hearsay. Even leaving aside possible insidious motivations on the part of those spreading these rumors, have you ever heard of the telephone game? Most children realize that when one child tells another a story (even a relatively simple one), and that child tells another child the story, it is not long before the original story is completely different in fundamentals from the original. I think you might heed the moral of that story.

Howard
[email protected]

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Brady, and Howard. I have, in the past, endeavoured to try to stop this line of posting, but after a while, it simply becomes tiresome.

This type of inuendo, mud-slinging and damning by faint praise, "What he knows, he teaches well". Really has no place on a forum of this caliber ... But some people never seem to learn.

Wes, maybe it is time that you, once again, go back to the Kenponet where they let you post your childish material, or perhaps the Mud Hut, and leave the grown ups alone? I honestly believe that you should be tired of posting the same tripe where people laugh at you to your face, as well as behind your back.

My respects and Thanks to you both again, Mr. Brady and HowardR.

Dan Farmer

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Albert Cornejo, Mike Pick, Frank Trejo, Steve Labounty, Bryan Hawkins and the writers of The Journey....

All will back my claims. I invite you all to start talking to people outside of Chapel and start getting a another picture on his history in AK.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wes Idol
Albert Cornejo, Mike Pick, Frank Trejo, Steve Labounty, Bryan Hawkins and the writers of The Journey....

All will back my claims. I invite you all to start talking to people outside of Chapel and start getting a another picture on his history in AK.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

Wasn't going to even dignify this post with a response, but I will try one more, and final time, and simply repeat what I have said before Wes ... No one outside of you seems to care much... There are so many alleged skeletons in so many Kenpo closets, that even if Doc were to have an alleged one in his, it would pretty much simply put him on a par with so many of the other seniors.

You are, simply, too obsessive over this one insignificant facet of the history of American Kenpo. It would seem that, in keeping with many of your other posts, that you might be better off adopting a peaceful co-existence attitude. You don't seem to realize that all your ranting and raving about Doc really does nothing other than make you appear to be an obsessive goofball to many folks who frequent this forum, and others.

I'm not an American Kenpo person, have never ranked in it, and study as and how I please, but as much as you try to beat on Doc, even if I did not like him, I would be curious as Hell as to what all the ranting and raving is about, and would look him up.

Mayhap, if all these seniors have legitimate beefs with Doc, they ought to take it up with him on their own. I haven't seen a lot of them out here baying at the Doc Chapél Moon. Only you Wes.

Mayhap you need to rethink where you are coming from and what you are doing to yourself. And while you're at it, perhaps find a new windmill to tilt with. An obsession can be a very unhealthy personal thing in the greater scheme of illusions and paradigms.

Respectfully,

Dan Farmer

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you are a first degree black belt if you studied under SGM Parker after receiving your black in EPAK. It doesn't matter who you got it from, according to the family tree. There are many people listed as 1st generation on the tree that were second generation and were moved to first generation because of subsequent study with Mr. Parker. In that case, someone could be a 1st generation black belt and have never actually been promoted by Mr. Parker.

DISCLAIMER:
This was a general comment about how someone could be a 1st generation without actually getting promoted by Mr. Parker. Not saying this is the case with Doc, and not saying it isn't. Not making any comment about Doc whatsoever, other than in this disclaimer, because otherwise people will read into what I'm saying. I wasn't there, and I haven't spoken to people who were there about it, so I don't know.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
you are a first degree black belt if you studied under SGM Parker after receiving your black in EPAK. It doesn't matter who you got it from, according to the family tree. There are many people listed as 1st generation on the tree that were second generation and were moved to first generation because of subsequent study with Mr. Parker. In that case, someone could be a 1st generation black belt and have never actually been promoted by Mr. Parker.

DISCLAIMER:
This was a general comment about how someone could be a 1st generation without actually getting promoted by Mr. Parker. Not saying this is the case with Doc, and not saying it isn't. Not making any comment about Doc whatsoever, other than in this disclaimer, because otherwise people will read into what I'm saying. I wasn't there, and I haven't spoken to people who were there about it, so I don't know.

That's an astute observation and I was there when the tree was created so I have some insight about that.

You are indeed correct, but that usually occured at the 1st black level with subsequent promotions after that. So technically you are correct, however that never happened to my knowledge. Once "transferred" a person was promoted further by Parker and never stayed in that "transfered to 1st generation but didn't promote further twilight zone."

Also (as you stated), Mr. Parker covered "transfers" with most by cross referencing the individuals with their original Kenpo Instructor. So when you examine the tree, you'll see prominent people in more than one place.

As an example, Richard Planas is listed as 1st generation, but is also listed under Sibok Tom Kelly, who is listed as 1st generation but also listed under Sigung Steve LaBounty. If you check now Grandmaster, Larry Tatum you'll see that a great many of the prominent contemporary "1st generation" black belts were originally promoted by him out of the Santa Monica and West Los Angeles School and they transferred themselves, and fail to mention Larry Tatum.

Later on, when Ed Parker was alive, all his black promotions were co-promotions unless you were directly under him, even though he wasn't necessarily teaching. Parker signed diplomas on the left, your instructor on the right. Therefore now everyone can and does claim Parker as their "only" teacher. Look for the diplomas that have his signature on both sides of the diploma. All of them are instructors. Most came to Parker as black belts from Kenpo or other styles.

You'll also notice that the majority of the black belts did not make their 1st black directly under Parker because he stopped teaching in the schools regularly in the sixties. So most of those that did, began training in the nineteen-fifties, like now Gransmaster, Chuck Sullivan who is one of the exceptions. So you need to look for two things; are they listed as 1st generation, and are the diplomas signed by Parker on both sides. Many have one but not the other although honestly, I don't think this "lineage" thing has as much validity as it might suggest in the American culture.

As for your disclaimer, I'm sorry that you have to supply one. Personally I always take everyone at face value unless given a reason to do otherwise, therefore I don't personally need disclaimers. I've often said we sometimes spend so much time apologizing in advance for things we haven't said, we don't get around to fully exploring the topic.

As for me I am fairly straight forward and say what I mean and mean what I say. No one has to "read between the lines" but I'm sure some will anyway. (Especially when I'm sleepy like now)

Now I have to apologize to you that an atmosphere exists that causes you to feel you need to have a disclaimer. I wish it didn't exist.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Doc
Now I have to apologize to you that an atmosphere exists that causes you to feel you need to have a disclaimer.

Why? You didn't create it, so it's not your fault.

B

bahenlaura

Originally posted by Kirk
Congrats to Mr Trejo!!!

Hopefully someone will post a pic of that kick!

:D
My Kenpo Brothers,

The tourny was great. Lots of competition. 3 days of fun and brother hood. and yes since you asked; here it is what you all been waiting for, fresh out of my Cam.
enjoy.
Burt E.
:cool:

Attachments

• 14.6 KB · Views: 351
B

baronv

Well I was at the Sat. tournament in Long Beach. While the event was entertaining, it seemed very unorganized, throughout the day the announcer kept asking for judges and even admonishing them over the speaker that they'd be booted and have to pay admission to the event if they didn't show up at the staging areas or ringside. I wish they at least had a timetable for when the different events were going to go on, since i missed the self defense & some of the grappling that I came to see. The WKO sparring was good, it at least let the fighters do throws and take downs, Still the point sparring was ok, I don't really like it that much sicne those rules just end up makig the fighters play tag with each other.

I had a friend who went to the Pomona tournament the same day and after watching their video of the evnt, I'd have to say it was way better organized and presented. Ed Parker Jr. was there on stage and speaking of the IKKA returning. I hear he's boycotting Trejo's event. Some martial arts celebs were there presenting trophys too, among them were Bob Wall (Bruce Lee's film enemy & publisher), and Chris Cassamassa of Olymic TKD fame. The competitors at the Pomona were so much better than the one's in the Long Beach tournament, I guess since the LB was mainly Kenpo and a few other martial arts, the Pomona had many Japanese styles, TKD, and Wushu and the people there competing were flying, spinning, jumping. I'd go to that one next year.

Overall, I'd rate the Long Beach tournament a 5/10 stars and the Pomona a 8/10.

K

Kirk

Thanks for sharing Burt!!!

Just my opinion, but a competition can't exist without judges. If
someone makes a committment to BE a judge, and gets in free,
then he should be where he needs to be, ON TIME. I have no
problem with the public outcry at the judges.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by bahenlaura
:D
My Kenpo Brothers,

The tourny was great. Lots of competition. 3 days of fun and brother hood. and yes since you asked; here it is what you all been waiting for, fresh out of my Cam.
enjoy.
Burt E.
:cool:

Who's all them Ol' Geezers??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan "I don't dye my hair! It's naturally gray!" Farmer

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Sigung86

Were YOU in that pic? :confused:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say charge judges to get in, then give them a card that the coordinator stamps when he brings a division to the ring. If the judge has at least three stamps, he's judged at least three divisions, and can turn in the card in exchange for his money back.

P

ProfessorKenpo

I say charge judges to get in, then give them a card that the coordinator stamps when he brings a division to the ring. If the judge has at least three stamps, he's judged at least three divisions, and can turn in the card in exchange for his money back.

Kris, I don't know where your thoughts are but if you charge the BB's that are judging to get in you wouldn't have any judges, no judges, no competition. I'm not going to pay to get into a tournament unless I'm competing. I've always officiated at tournaments, and most of the BB's there do as well, maybe some more than others but we have students there we want to watch compete and usually it's right in the middle of a division we're judging and that's a real PITA. Most promoters provide T-shirts for the officials as an incentive to officiate at the tournaments. They either want to see you in the ring or give you a slip after each division to turn in for your shirt, no slips, no shirt. Another suggestion would be to stamp those tickets when you got your shirt and use them as a pass the next day if it's more than one. This way if you didn't officiate the first day and you have a band on your wrist, you'd have to pay to get in the second. That would stop alot of it. I would suggest you get some time in the ring as an official before you pass your statements on.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sigung86

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Why would I be seen hanging with a bunch of old geezers????

Had I been there, I would have been in the company of the youngsters! :rofl:

Dan

K

Kirk

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Kris, I don't know where your thoughts are but if you charge the BB's that are judging to get in you wouldn't have any judges, no judges, no competition. I'm not going to pay to get into a tournament unless I'm competing. I've always officiated at tournaments, and most of the BB's there do as well, maybe some more than others but we have students there we want to watch compete and usually it's right in the middle of a division we're judging and that's a real PITA. Most promoters provide T-shirts for the officials as an incentive to officiate at the tournaments. They either want to see you in the ring or give you a slip after each division to turn in for your shirt, no slips, no shirt. Another suggestion would be to stamp those tickets when you got your shirt and use them as a pass the next day if it's more than one. This way if you didn't officiate the first day and you have a band on your wrist, you'd have to pay to get in the second. That would stop alot of it. I would suggest you get some time in the ring as an official before you pass your statements on.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

If it's a common problem, something should be done,
don'tcha think?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Great idea.:) When I ran the IKC we did just as you said. You had to judge three divisions to get into the finals free.