Fountain of youth

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Genesis 5:21-24 (New Living Translation)
When Enoch was 65 years old, he became the father of Methuselah. After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch lived in close fellowship with God for another 300 years, and he had other sons and daughters. Enoch lived 365 years, walking in close fellowship with God. Then one day he disappeared, because God took him.

2 Kings 2:11 (New Living Translation)
As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire. It drove between the two men, separating them, and Elijah was carried by a whirlwind into heaven.

YWHW seems rather fond of the number 3, so I figure there is at least a slim chance I don't have to die :)

You just have to make it to age 365 and then your odds start looking pretty good. :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When Enoch was 65 years old, he became the father of Methuselah. After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch lived in close fellowship with God for another 300 years, and he had other sons and daughters. Enoch lived 365 years, walking in close fellowship with God. Then one day he disappeared, because God took him.

As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire. It drove between the two men, separating them, and Elijah was carried by a whirlwind into heaven.

YWHW seems rather fond of the number 3, so I figure there is at least a slim chance I don't have to die :)
Good luck with that!
:)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

365 years old? Seriously, does anyone believe that? I know it's the Bible but really, does anyone believe that? Why is it that I have never met a 365 year old man or woman?

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
365 years old? Seriously, does anyone believe that? I know it's the Bible but really, does anyone believe that? Why is it that I have never met a 365 year old man or woman?

YES - I believe.

You will never meet a person 365 years old; because after the original Creation, a water canopy in the stratosphere above the sky (the firmament) was removed, and was part of the waters of the Flood of Noah.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
YES - I believe.

You will never meet a person 365 years old; because after the original Creation, a water canopy in the stratosphere above the sky (the firmament) was removed, and was part of the waters of the Flood of Noah.

Yes, it was after the flood that the lifespan became greatly shortened to what it is today. It was before the flood when people would regularly live to be 900 +.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a lot of it comes down to how you train. I think it helps to let go of competitiveness and focus on how to train in a way that puts the least stress on your body.

Yes. David Carradine was not a big fan of sport fighting. According to David, aside from the fact that sport fighting was not the same as real fighting, he also pointed out how with the very best sport fighters how they would eventually become washed up has beens. That is why David preferred kung fu and TMA which he claimed that you kept getting better as you got older.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
But wouldn't it be more fun to expend all of that along the way?

That would be how it is with money. I don't particularly plan to take all my money to the grave, rather expending it along the way for me would be more fun.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think any serious physical endeavor can be a fantastic way to stay young. However, everything is going to vary from individual to individual. In comparison to my contemporaries I am in great shape. Even though I have had knee injuries and shoulder injuries studying the Martial Sciences. Still I can at this point do everything I could when I was in my twenties. However, I am lucky! Not everyone is so fortunate. One of my good friends in a hard style had to have a hip replacement at 45. Every ones body is different and will react differently due to the strains and rigors of serious martial practice. So it depends on the individual!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yeah, people believe the darnedest things. But even those that take the Bible literally usually figure the span of a man's life in today's world more along the lines of the following:

Psalm 90:10

King James Version (KJV)

[SUP]10 [/SUP]The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

I thought that was pretty good --remembering that. Especially since I haven't been to any church except for weddings and funerals since my parents took me on occasion as a kid. Now as far as martial arts being a fountain of youth ... any gentle exercise that stimulates tha body and mind is a good thing. But competitive combative arts will tear you down after a certain age. And for you guys talking big 'cause you are in your forties or fifties and still going strong, well, fifty ain't that old. When I was about fifty three or four I got into great shape for a while. But it's impossible to sustain forever. How many guys are still going strong at 85? ...95? , ...or 105? I can answer that last one. Virtually zero. Out of seven billion people on the planet, using all the miracles of modern medicine only a handful reach that age, and they aren't martial artists. They're just lucky.

On the other hand, I was watching my 15 year old son work out at his TKD class this morning. There's an 85 year-old grandmother in the class, a black-belt no less. As they were all firing off their front snap kicks, I imagined the shadowy image of the grim reaper standing in front of her, getting kicked in the gut and doubling over. ...if only!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son is studying exercise science at the university. One of his instructors told him that because of continuing medical/nutritional breakthroughs, the first people to live to be 150 (Biblical period notwithstanding) are alive today and in their 50's....sounds good to me, I'm 51.

I started training CMA as a teenager. I have trained every day since. Am I a fanatic, maybe, but I don't go full out on all cylinders 365 days a year. I have these pesky things called a job and responsibilities, so my training time fluctuates accordingly. I consider myself one of the fortunate ones. I have had injuries along the way, but nothing debilitating, and I am able to hang with people 30 years my junior.
It helps that I went from a very dynamic, high impact, southern kung fu system to a softer system (Wing Tsun), when I was 30. Had I continued with the other system, I may very well be singing a different tune today.

Side note. A couple of years ago, I was driving along listening to the radio. An exercise expert was on discussing the merits of exercise as you age.
He talked about how you hear of older runners dying of heart attacks. He said in your teens and twenties that hard vigorous exercise is fine, but that the body can't continue that pace. He went on to say that exercise is important as you age, but that our approach needs to change. The analogy he used is:
"When you are young, in your prime, your exercise is very robust...like kung fu...but as you age, continue moving, but now it's no longer kung fu...think Tai Chi."

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started training CMA as a teenager. I have trained every day since. Am I a fanatic, maybe, but I don't go full out on all cylinders 365 days a year. I have these pesky things called a job and responsibilities, so my training time fluctuates accordingly.

Training is my job and my responsibility.

Latest Discussions