Forms in Kenpo.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Forms" make up the dictionaries (Short & Long 1 & 2) (Definitions) and encyclopedia's (Short & Long 3, 4, 5 ,6 + 7 & 8)(Information Research) of the system...

"Sets" are the appendices.... or where you search for further info on specific material. i.e., Sets focus on basic categories such as:

Stance - thus Stance Set 1 & 2
Blocks - thus Blocking Set 1 & 2
Strikes - thus Striking Set 1 & 2
Finger Techniques - thus Finger Set 1 & 2
Kicks - thus Kicking Set 1 & 2
Coordination - thus Coord. Set 1 & 2

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. Parker revealed this around 1985 or '86. It was explained to a few that wished to play with the idea and (at that time a new look at the 4).

The shortend version makes for a nice brown belt form for competition, and structural redesign study without "changing" the form greatly. It is actually fun to do.

:asian: :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Although short form #1 uses blocks, and could be "called" a blocking set due to the 4 blocks used by both arms within the Form while traveling from 12 to 9 to 3 to 6 o'clock., it is a totally differnt "Pattern".

The Blocking set #1 for example is preformed from a horse stance and executes 6 different blocks all with one arm then the other, in its standard use.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a good example of the type of evolution that American Kenpo has experienced throughout the entire system over the last 50 some odd years, now lets examine this particular exercise from origin to current day......

Originally, as many know (including myself), there was this unique drill which used a specific series of blocks executed from a training horse called the Star Block, sometimes referred to as the Star Blocking Set, and possibly other similar nomenclature.

The "Star Block" was a very useful and popular fun "set" or drill that was taught to better illustrate several different blocking concepts. It was executed from a stationary position (training horse stance) in the beginning then footwork was added later to explore the variables.

The basic blocking sequence was......
Upward Block
Inward Block
Extended Outward Block (note different from short form 1)
Downward Block
Back Elbow or "Hidden" or "re-cock" Block
Push Down Block
This was done all with one hand (first the right then the opposite hand (left) was used to do the same sequence note: the blocks move in a downward direction [descending]).

Other variations included:
* to do "both" hands at the same time together (descending).
* to do "both" hands at the same time together in reverse order
(ascending).
* to do "both" hands at the same time together (right hand
descending while the left hand is ascending), (and of course the
opposite).

This developed coordination and focused on the basic blocks of our system. It was used for years until Mr. Parker organized or reorganized (which was part of the "process of evolution") which was common place with all areas of Kenpo. At which time (late '70's & early '80's) he put a standardized all the salutations and formalized a short salutation for all of the "sets" (Stance, Blocking, Striking, Finger, Kicking, Coordination & a few weapon sets).

Thus the name now became Blocking Set # 1 and was now officially recorded written down and formalized.

Now the big question....... why today, do some still call it the "Star Block", know nothing of the salutation for the set or the specific order and or the difference of name?

Answer...... Those that learned the "Star Block" at some time early on and that now had either left Mr. Parker or saw him quite infrequently did NOT get the updates unless they specifically asked "what have you updated recently (since I last saw you or what new are you working on).

Often times, when individuals received lessons from Ed Parker he would ask you........ "what can I help you with"? More often than not....... the quest was always for the highest and latest forms and techniques or clarification of specific techniques. Many did not venture to ask about the Fundamental Structure of the System Basics because I think many figured they knew all the basics well. The results are obvious.

Ed Parker loved diggers since he had to dig and scratch for everything. He loved it when you "discovered" something. He would laugh and say...... "Heyyyyyy ... You took your smart pills today didn't 'cha"! Then he would elaborate on "YOUR NEW" (snicker) discovery. You would then get a lengthy examination and reference of what you found, while he let you know that he had already found that and he was elated that you found it as well. "Kenpo is now in your bones, you are startin' to see what I see"! Ahhhhhh good!

This same phenomenon is what transpired with all other areas of advancement in his art ~ (Forms, sets, techniques revisions and in some cases new numerical order {32 to 24 and 24 to 16} are just a few examples) whoever was around him at the time he was working on certain material were the ones who were in the front row to receive the newest material this also included all the seminars that he did the last 10 years of his life. I say newest but actually much was not really new but better defined and explained in some cases..... but updated none the less.

Well I've went on long enough but I hope you get a better picture, The "Star Block Drill" actually has several hundred permutations (Blocking Set # 1 has 1 basic way) that one can use as drills each working on something specific, but I won't go into all the variations of the Star Block Drill.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, No it is not the same salutation that is done in the forms, slioghtly different (much shorter & simpler) the blocking pattern is Up, in, ext. out, down, re~cock, Push.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "Sets" Salutation (as last written prior to Mr. Parkers passing) is as follows.......

Attention Stance, then bow head (nod - down then back up sharply), this is to give respect to the workout area we are about to utilize, then step out with your left foot in a meditation stance left over right hand position (with head down in meditation) hold this for as long as needed to gather self or for practice purposes about 3 seconds. Raise head back up sharply (to return to the hear and now). From this point start the form.....

Hope this helps....

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, you need a personal seminar if you want more now....... lol. Don't get greedy.

I'd love to visit down under again. Late this year or early next year I will be expanding to Samoa.

Maybe I can arrange an Aussie tour.

;)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have communicated with your instructor as to your intentions to help I'm sure he will start you as soon as he feels you are ready to go. :)

I usually start my juniors off with an invitation to Instructors class and then have them assist with classes in some fashion. I have a complete method to teaching junior instructors.
:) :asian:

OP
Z

Zeke

Originally posted by Klondike93

Soooo, your from these parts, eh. :D

Well, I live in Thornton (just east of Arvada), teach at a school a friend of mine owns (Mix of TKD, Kenpo, Grappling, Kickboxing).
The school is located just north of Arvada at 88th and Wadsworth if you remember the city at all.
The kenpo school I'm going to is located in Longmont 30 miles to the north of me. My instructor there is Brad Scornavacco a long time student of Lee Wedlake. There are no Ed Parker kenpo schools anywhere in Denver, so my goal is to someday open one in my area.

:D Now about tagging along to Aussie........:D

Chuck

Hi Klondike93
Could you please give my regards to Brad Scornavacco . I haven't seen him in a couple of years . In fact not since he was in Denmark almost 3 years ago.
Take care
Zeke

:asian: :cool:

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
There must be more versions of Short Form 4 out there than we have techniques. Myself I don't know that there is really any such thing as Short 4, but I will tell you what I do know about it, and it came from the horse’s mouth.

Barbara (Hale) and I were at Mr. Parker's house, sitting on the couch, when Barbara got the bright idea to ask Mr. Parker if there was any such thing as Short Form?

Mr. Parker paused a moment and then said, "Short Form 4 could be every other technique in Form 4. That would be a good project for Misty! Barbara, why don't you have her work on it."

Note: Misty is one of Barbara's black belts, who made a very good impression on Mr. Parker when she tested for black in front of him.

When we left I (teasingly) said, Thanks a lot Barbara! All we need is another form in the system. Why didn't you ask him if the technique extensions had extensions, so we could add another couple hundred techniques to the system too?

I don't actually know if Barbara and Misty did any work on Short Form 4 or not, and I don't know if Mr. Parker laid out any other Short Form 4's for others to work on. I read what Dennis Conatser said and have no reason to doubt his knowledge on the subject, so . . .

I think the bottom line is; if there really was a valid Short Form 4 out there, Mr. Parker would have made some reference to it in writing. If he, in fact, did make a written reference to it, please share it with me too, as I’m just as curious as everyone else.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Although short form #1 uses blocks, and could be "called" a blocking set due to the 4 blocks used by both arms within the Form while traveling from 12 to 9 to 3 to 6 o'clock., it is a totally differnt "Pattern".

The Blocking set #1 for example is preformed from a horse stance and executes 6 different blocks all with one arm then the other, in its standard use.

Not to mention that Short One doesn't contain the extended outward block, while Blocking Set contains all the basic blocks. Hard to call somethng a blocking set that doesn't have the blocks.

How's that D?

Latest Discussions