For the bass lovers [my shiny new bass guitar]

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably the most expensive impulse buy I've ever had. I went to a music store (Long & McQuade) to get a new guitar cable, and played one of these:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/61429/

The Steve Bailey Fender 6-string fretless jazz bass. I couldn't believe the feel and sound of the thing... absolutely magical. I haven't played fretless in years, but this thing could make anybody sound good. It just sings. I've played a lot of basses, and this is in the top three ever. Right up there with Ken Smith basses, which are about twice the price.

To my credit, I actually walked out of the building without buying it. I was with my gf at the time who was driving. While I was chatting on my cell with a friend to discuss it, she turned the truck around and drove back to the store without me noticing it right away. She said "It's an amazing instrument, you should have it."

So long story short, it'll take me a year to pay the damn thing off. Time to get some gigs!

Best regards,

-Mark

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh man, I adore the sound of fretless basses. Will you tell me, what is the reason for the other string(s)? Is the string tuning vastly different from normal 5 and 6 string basses?? 'scuse my ignorance! :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
BEADGB, or EADGBE, first has that lower B which is sick, second is just like a regular base with the 2 higher strings. Fretless 6... whew, like a fretless 4 isn't hard enough heh. I needs ma frets ;). It must sound amazing though (in someone elses hands ;p)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there some sealant on that ebony or is it left raw? How's the neck joint, squared or contoured? Gorgeous man, I've never seen a 6 J-bass, most I've seen is a 5. I gotta tell you, they have my favorite bass tone, J-bass through a Hartke head, that's heaven.

OP
Langenschwert

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh man, I adore the sound of fretless basses. Will you tell me, what is the reason for the other string(s)? Is the string tuning vastly different from normal 5 and 6 string basses?? 'scuse my ignorance! :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

More strings increases the range (higher and lower). But more importantly, it increases the notes you can access without changing hand positions. With standard fingering on a 4-string, your range in one position is one and one half octaves. On a six string, the range is two octaves and a major third. Most six-string basses have an extra high string and an extra low string, perfect fourths all the way across, unlike a guitar which has a major third in there once. Fretless basses are tuned the same as fretted ones.

Omar: the ebony is left raw, or at least unlaquered. I'll check the neck joint tonight, though I suspect it's slightly contoured.

Best regards,

-Mark

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
very nice man, congrats on the purchase as well as on having a cool gf!

jf

OP
Langenschwert

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While you are checking let me know if it's joined with the standard plate or a 4 bolt arrangement.

Aye, m'lord. ;)

The block is only bevelled on the corner. Otherwise it's as square as Hillary Clinton.

The neck is joined with 5 bolts (3 and 2), no plate.

The fingerboard appears to have been oiled, but not finished with the exception of the fingerboard sides which are finished like the back of the neck.

The dots line up with where the frets would have been.

Here's a clip of Steve playing one:

Still no buyer's regret! :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aw man...I should have read the whole title...

I thought this was a thread about fishing! DOH. :toilclaw:

OP
Langenschwert

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yeah, that's next on the list. I haven't played upright since high school, but I'm in the market for one. I have another fretless that was destroyed by Purolator. It's a Signature Excalibre: http://www.geocities.com/signatureguitar/ And it's blue. Damn Purolator snapped the headstock off in transit. I'll get it fixed one day, though snapped headstocks are tought to repair well.

Best regards,

-Mark

Latest Discussions