For Terryl

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terryl I saw your reply of your sons wanting to follow the steps of you and your father and I want to know about your father who as long as I know he is a master in martial arts. Can you give us a short martial arts bio of your father? I will like to know such a nice person.

My father is a bussiness man and he's a hunter at heart so I am the first generation (on my family) who is a MA and as long as I know the only one, my daugthers don't wanat to follow my steps but who knows, maybe a grandchild will.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok Manny a brief history: my Grand father learned Karate around the 1900's when he live in Okinawa and then in Japan. He moved back to the states around 1917 or so, he opened up a small workout place in Flint Michigan training a few buddies and my father and some of his friends. My father joined the military around 1939 I believe when he was 17, he was in both WW II and the Korean conflict, He became a Master Drill Instructor and tought Judo and Karate. When he was station in out of the way places he would learn from those around him. Whatever he could learn he did. He went to the reserves around 1955 give or take a few years. He went back to Michigan but decided to come to Texas with a friend so he moved to Lubbock that is when he meet my mother and they got married. Then the Vietnam war started and he was called back to active duty and was in it for a brief timeframe. He was injured and had his left kidney removed, so that ended the call to service. He moved back to Texas but every couple of years he needed to travel so he always went over sea's and took us so we got to train in alot of places, he had a small dojo outside Lubbuck simply called Karate, he and his good friend Paul Robertson ranned the place. He started teaching us by the time we could walk and all I remember him always saying was one day this maybe able to save your life of course alot people in that area thought he was crazy because it was not well recieved back in those days by his telling.

The first time I took what is now known as TKD was back when it was called Korean Karate of course TKD was alive and doing well but a few smalled places in Korean have not made the change like alot of them did. What can I say TKD was meant to be because everytime I came back to the states we had more and more TKD schools using the name Karate mainly because that is what American knew it as. I finally moved to California to become a coach and Math teacher and found this smelling runned down place that tought TKD so the rest is history.

I hope that made some sense I can always go back to the storage shield and pull all of his record and such, but since I moved to a smaller house two year ago I have had no time to do that.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok Manny a brief history: my Grand father learned Karate around the 1900's when he live in Okinawa and then in Japan. He moved back to the states around 1917 or so, he opened up a small workout place in Flint Michigan training a few buddies and my father and some of his friends. My father joined the military around 1939 I believe when he was 17, he was in both WW II and the Korean conflict, He became a Master Drill Instructor and tought Judo and Karate. When he was station in out of the way places he would learn from those around him. Whatever he could learn he did. He went to the reserves around 1955 give or take a few years. He went back to Michigan but decided to come to Texas with a friend so he moved to Lubbock that is when he meet my mother and they got married. Then the Vietnam war started and he was called back to active duty and was in it for a brief timeframe. He was injured and had his left kidney removed, so that ended the call to service. He moved back to Texas but every couple of years he needed to travel so he always went over sea's and took us so we got to train in alot of places, he had a small dojo outside Lubbuck simply called Karate, he and his good friend Paul Robertson ranned the place. He started teaching us by the time we could walk and all I remember him always saying was one day this maybe able to save your life of course alot people in that area thought he was crazy because it was not well recieved back in those days by his telling.

The first time I took what is now known as TKD was back when it was called Korean Karate of course TKD was alive and doing well but a few smalled places in Korean have not made the change like alot of them did. What can I say TKD was meant to be because everytime I came back to the states we had more and more TKD schools using the name Karate mainly because that is what American knew it as. I finally moved to California to become a coach and Math teacher and found this smelling runned down place that tought TKD so the rest is history.

I hope that made some sense I can always go back to the storage shield and pull all of his record and such, but since I moved to a smaller house two year ago I have had no time to do that.

Thank you very much my friend, your dad is such a warrior and the tradition comes from grandfather to father now to you and then your sons.

Manny

Latest Discussions