For parents and instructors

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the parents what is the most important thing a instructor has taught your child/children?
For the instructors what is the most important thing you fell should be taught to a child?

Now I have heard different thought on these matters from both sides and many different thoughts on both subjects so I am interested in hearing the thoughts of the Martialtalk community

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe in the Tenets of Tae Kwon Do so Integrity and respect are big to me and would be at the top of the food chain in my book.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think for children dealing with kidnapping scenerio's both in self defense applications and being aware of potential situations. I also think learning how to disolve problems without resorting to actual physical contact is also something that can keep a good kid from ending up in trouble.
I personally think these things are vital because these are 2 powerhouse problems that children are to face. I do believe morality is also an excellent factor to include for character building.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personal empowerment. I think the thing that makes kids lash out against parents and adults is a low self-esteem. I try to help them break through that. I feel it is also the reason why kids are getting heavier and the reason why there are so many abductions. JMO, but I don't think I could teach them anything better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personal empowerment. I think the thing that makes kids lash out against parents and adults is a low self-esteem. I try to help them break through that. I feel it is also the reason why kids are getting heavier and the reason why there are so many abductions. JMO, but I don't think I could teach them anything better.

I'm with you totally on this one, there's no point in teaching children anything unless they feel they, as people, are worth teaching. I want children to feel they are valued and to aim high, not have low or no aspirations in life. Doing well in one subject ie martial arts has beneficial knock on effect with other parts of their lives both academic and personal so it's important we value them and teach them to be the best they can.

In class I want them to feel secure in the knowledge they are treated with respect, are safe from bullying,hectoring, lecturing, sarcasm and other belittling behaviour. That they will be taught with patience and understanding. Teaching self defence and things like the Tenets of TKD/Karate will flow from there.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'll see your personal empowerment and raise you personal responsibility. I agree totally and I think that with personal empowerment and healthy self esteem go hand in hand with responsiblity for accepting consequences, both positive and negative, for actions and decisions.

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
As an instructor I think it is important to not confuse a child with all the technical things. The child needs to be taught confidence and how to get away if a stranger was ever to try take them. A little older kids should been taught how not to be the school bully and what to do when picked on at school or wherever.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have to be careful as MA instructors and not teach too much, the most I will have a child for is 2/3 hours a week, in that time I cannot nor would I want to be, teaching the child martial arts and the meaning of life! The best I hope for is that through my teaching them martial arts they pick up and think about things like morals, ethics and the other fine sounding qualities we talk about.
Some martial arts schools come across as being very pompous, quoting 'ancient texts' and coming across like Buddhist Warrior Monks. It's very high minded to want to see children on the road 'to salvation' as it were through martial arts but we cannot force feed them tenets and ethics. We can however create an atmosphere where they hopefully can absorb through watching and learning from the instructors while learning good practical martial arts. Kenpofighter is correct I think when he says we have to keep it simple.

It's very easy for a teacher/instructor to see all these young minds open, eager to learn in front of him and think he is almost godlike in that he can influence the rest of their lives just by what he teaches. I've seen it a few times but it doesn't work, you have to step back every so often and ask yourself why and who are you teaching this for, the children or yourself?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We find this very important! ....the students (no matter the age)....look at Teachers and Parents as "role models"....

Our actions will instill how our students react by our behaviors! to every situtions....or actions taken...therefore...we must be leaders of teaching "goodness" and proper behavior...

Honesty, intergity, loyality, kindness, humbleness, is something we must share with our students, everyday, and everytime...WE LEAD THEY FOLLOW...

Bad behavior, swearing, anger, getting mad...also teaches our students these behave like this if we become a bad role models...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
We teach them martial arts, (self-defense techniques) ...to be use for self-protection ONLY...and at last resort!

Verbal Judo..or/ and awareness or avoidance...is strong recommended...

KIDS LOOK AT PARENTS / TEACHERS AS GODS... and will copy us as role models....to follow and learn from...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe that is why? ...hateing a race, color, muslins, americans, jews,...will last forever....TERRORISM...kids...learn this fast too!

WE CAN CHANGE THE WAY WE TEACH OUR KIDS...just one at a time...by us being good role models...to them all...

"If each of us can leave one good child..and they inturn...can leave one good child....we can change the world!"

...are the bad guys winning? ...do you yell at your kids, or get angry in front of them, or hit them...get mad as simple things...your kids pick this up fast.....

As you get old...you will see yourself by the way your grown kids behavior...look at your grown childern how they behave?

Aloha ....( be a good role model...takes hard work and lots of patience...)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe in the Tenets of Tae Kwon Do so Integrity and respect are big to me and would be at the top of the food chain in my book.

The above, plus how to avoid needing to defend themselves, and when to run and where to run to.