For Middle Class White Girls, when being privileged isn't enough...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting reaction piece to this WSJ Op-ed.

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013...hite-girls-when-being-privileged-isnt-enough/

Weiss, in her budding wisdom, exposed the mantle of white privilege for what it should be: Proud, unapologetic and unconcerned with anyone not blessed to posses it. She offered herself up as the scape-goat to be ridiculed. Though she did receive job and internship offers for her take-down of reverse racial discrimination, that was never the point.
The point was to reveal the face of the forthcoming post-racial state of America. A place where white students are rewarded for mocking the tenuous foundation of equality on which this country is built and education remains a coveted club to which only middle-class white students are entitled.
Well done, Suzy. Well done.

Imagine being born into a flesh vehicle that the government discriminates against based on its outside appearance? Middle class white girls fit are in this position.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, she uses her connections and it's headlines, while millions of guys do it....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Imagine being born into a class that your government discriminates against - different country, different barrier, same result. True social mobility has never really existed in Britain; we working class scum just have to make the best of it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Imagine being born into a class that your government discriminates against - different country, different barrier, same result. True social mobility has never really existed in Britain; we working class scum just have to make the best of it.

Well, girls are only now making strides as it is. 'Gender quality' is still a new thing.

And of course it sucks to be on the receiving end in favor of people who's ancestors used to get the shaft.
2, 3 wrongs don't make a right....

And of course there is the little thing about assertive girls....

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's some salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder, Kirsten West Savali.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it power that ossifies the class structure, or is it the absence of power?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would argue that it is the concentration of power that creates formalised strata in a social structure.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would argue that it is the concentration of power that creates formalised strata in a social structure.

what?

:idunno:

The story is a tempest in a teacup.

Nothing to see, just a 'sassy' gal working to get what she wants.
Do you call guys 'sassy' who don't take no for an answer? :confused:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think perhaps the conversation isn't about the lass in question, Gran, but rather a wider discourse on the nature of power, privilege and disadvantage.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Then, the opposite of this is that the diffusion of power destroys formalized strata. Do we live in a society where power is diffuse or concentrated?

If we live in a society where power is concentrated, we need to look and see if the girl who wrote the op ed actually belongs to the class in power. If we live in a society where power is diffuse, the op ed she wrote doesn't really apply. People would rise based on their merits.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Power is distinctly concentrated here in Britain. Even with a supposed democracy we still call them the 'Ruling Classes'. Labour was a brief flirtation with power exercised on behalf of the Working Class but they soon became amalgamated with the other wielders of authority.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think perhaps the conversation isn't about the lass in question, Gran, but rather a wider discourse on the nature of power, privilege and disadvantage.

I think the tangent left the orbit, that's for sure.

Not really seeing where it got it's starting point, to be honest.

There is power and privilege, for sure. But in this case?
Not sure I am seeing it.

Latest Discussions