For First Time, Chimps Seen Making Weapons for Hunting

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chimpanzees living in the West African savannah have been observed fashioning deadly spears from sticks and using the tools to hunt small mammals -- the first routine production of deadly weapons ever observed in animals other than humans.
The multistep spearmaking practice, documented by researchers in Senegal who spent years gaining the chimpanzees' trust, adds credence to the idea that human forebears fashioned similar tools millions of years ago.
The landmark observation also supports the long-debated proposition that females -- the main makers and users of spears among the Senegalese chimps -- tend to be the innovators and creative problem solvers in primate culture.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/22/AR2007022201007.html

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yay for females!

Well, in all seriousness, animals do possess intelligence, and there are other species capable of some problem-solving. Why do humans feel the need to be the only special group that has to be "superior"?

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because in a fair fight most other species would beat us easily. Even with a good size advantage most humans would loose to most other species. We need something to rub in there faces ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the NRA - the Ngorongoro Rifle Association - to give us Chimps with guns. Maybe they'll be part of the Coalition of the Willing...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found it really interesting that 2/3 of the tool makers were female, and that that was seen as a key factor - that females are generally more innovative in chimp society, although the explanation, that females don't hunt because they are busy with kids, makes sense... but if I were to use a tool of that type, I'd want to make it myself so I could be sure it was "right" - but that may be reading too much into this behavior.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The guy is just kicking back, taken easy, eating a banana and the female just CAN'T leave him alone can she.... she just can't STAND to see him relaxing and enjoying himself so she makes a spear and sends him of to work :uhyeah:

Rather amazing actually, kind of evolution at work kind of thing or the planet of the apes.

Chimps armed with spears though, hmmm. When I think about it all this really is to me is another reason not to visit the West African savannah

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well that does it for me a monkey can out hunt me. What is this world coming to.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was really cool footage Andrew. Thanks a bunch.
icon14.gif

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found it really interesting that 2/3 of the tool makers were female, and that that was seen as a key factor - that females are generally more innovative in chimp society, although the explanation, that females don't hunt because they are busy with kids, makes sense... but if I were to use a tool of that type, I'd want to make it myself so I could be sure it was "right" - but that may be reading too much into this behavior.
I'm sorry, but this gave me this mental image of a male chimp holding up a spear to check the straightness before going out to hunt. :p

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The landmark observation also supports the long-debated proposition that females -- the main makers and users of spears among the Senegalese chimps -- tend to be the innovators and creative problem solvers in primate culture.

Guess that disproves WE evolved from apes huh?

KIDDING! KIDDING!

[runs for the door]

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Duh? We where planted here by aliens. Haven't you seen any science fiction shows? :D